Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Thanks for the link, BB. I will add it to the links section.

The Tyvek he is using doesn't look like HoweWrap. It must be SS Tyvek. I this type does better when trying to dye it.
    I'm not sure what he uses for his ponchos, but he definitely uses the housewrap (unprinted) for ground cloths and other custom jobs he does. He's got a nice table set up in his store for measuring, cutting, and sewing it - I've talked to him a little bit about it.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images

Tyvek Homewrap question

Not to nit pick, or anything...
    I use the tyvek article as a reference alot. I was searching for some fire code and burn time information in regards to Tyvek Homewrap, when I came across Duponts physical properties data sheet.

What caught my eye is that they list the weight of Homewrap at 1.8oz per sq/yd. Not the 1.7 quoted in the article. Wondered about this.
    http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Constru...%204-17-07.pdf
    Couldn't find the specific surface burn time information I was looking for

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    Not to nit pick, or anything...
    I use the tyvek article as a reference alot. I was searching for some fire code and burn time information in regards to Tyvek Homewrap, when I came across Duponts physical properties data sheet.

What caught my eye is that they list the weight of Homewrap at 1.8oz per sq/yd. Not the 1.7 quoted in the article. Wondered about this.
    http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Constru...%204-17-07.pdf
    Couldn't find the specific surface burn time information I was looking for
    You're not nitpicking. I want the article to be accurate. I have never verified the weight of the Tyvek HomeWrap. I recently picked up a set of scales and sometime when I get a chance I will verify the weight with scales.

Once you get your Tyvek hammock finished, I would like to add a pic and some details to the article, if you don't mind.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    Awesome. Sounds good. I will also weigh my homewrap when it comes in.
    Sorry If I was unclear in other post. Not making a tyvek hammock. But rather a hammocking tarp. .. and possibly an undercover of tyvek.

These are the concept drawings for the tarp. Not sure which I will attempt first.

The material was really cheap and I ordered ALOT. Think i will probablly start with the small one, and refine any problems that arise with the 2nd larger tarp.
    I posted the concept pics in the gallery.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=919&c=7
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=916&c=7
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=920&c=7

I am currently making a mock up with a painters drop sheet just to explore
    dimensions inside and figure out what the design problems will be before the tyvek arrives and gets cut up.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    Awesome. Sounds good. I will also weigh my homewrap when it comes in.
    Sorry If I was unclear in other post. Not making a tyvek hammock. But rather a hammocking tarp. .. and possibly an undercover of tyvek.

These are the concept drawings for the tarp. Not sure which I will attempt first.

The material was really cheap and I ordered ALOT. Think i will probablly start with the small one, and refine any problems that arise with the 2nd larger tarp.
    I posted the concept pics in the gallery.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=919&c=7
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=916&c=7
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=920&c=7

I am currently making a mock up with a painters drop sheet just to explore
    dimensions inside and figure out what the design problems will be before the tyvek arrives and gets cut up.
    Interesting idea with the lashed pole supporting the ends of two hammocks. I'm not sure how practicle or workable it would be. IMO the cross piece pole would probably have to be something like 4" diameter minimum (fence post size) and the lashing would have to absolutely immovable. But if you have tried it or are going to try it let us know how it works.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    Hi, I'm a new guy posting here who came over from HikingHQ.net.

I got interested in tyvek material as well as a fellow engineering student I talk to. We did a little experimentation with the Tyvek trying to add pigmentation to it. Since Tyvek is pretty much a fabric made by sintering microscopic hdpe fibers we tried sintering a powder based pigment into the material which worked very wellas far as coloring goes but we most likely modified the structure makeing it les durable and breathable. We also had good luck with certain types of alcohol based inks applied to warn pieces of Tyvek by roller. We'll keep experimenting around with it and let you know if we find out anything. My friend has started making wallets out of the stuff .

I also ran into this link while doing research on it.

http://www.fibermark.com/browseProd....phaID=T&page=1

It appears this company can special order amounted of pigmentated tyvek and also tyvek with a flame etardant coating. Although I do not know how breathable either products are, I figured I'd show you guys the link. Turk, you might be interested in the flame-retardant tyvek...
    Last edited by SteinbergerGPPRo; 07-12-2007 at 13:06.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    welcome to hammock forums SteinbergerGPPRo.
    it'll be interesting to see what you come up with. i tryed dying a 10 x 10' sheet w/ Ritz dye (dark brown) but it only left it slightly brown, but mostly off white. and i believe i left it soaking in the dye over night.
    it could have been a new piece of tyvek, so i guess it would have taken the dye better after being softened by washing or repeated use. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

MVTR of tyvek?

I found this article http://industrialpackaging.dupont.co...cts/index.html which shows that the highest MVTR (g/m2/24hrs) of any tyvek product is 1720. Does anyone have another figure?

For comparison:
    Hyvent= 10000
    Event= 21000

(numbers are from various sources and may not be exact)

I'm curious how much real world testing has been done with tyvek as an undercover.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have used my Tyvek under cover/ weather shield about 3-4 times. Once was in pouring rain the rest have been in very damp, misty conditions. It did it's job in keeping my under quilt dry and I have not had any condensation between the under quilt and the Tyvek cover.

I have also been using it as a mat, on the ground, underneath my hammock to put gear on to keep it off the ground and to step on when getting in and out of the hammock. It a pretty nice secondary use for the cover. Multi-use gear is always a plus.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    SteinbergerGPPRo,

Thanks for the info.

Would love to see some of your coloring results!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast