Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

having a tough time switching from pads to underquilts

i am having a tough time switching from pads to underquilts.i have recently bought a jarbridge river and 20 degree phoenix,both great qulits.i have been hammock camping for 10 years now using only pads in very cold weather with great success,quilts dont work at all on dd hammocks,the work half way on hennessey hammock.best results on my claytor jungle,does everyone have problems making the changeneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Maybe you are just accustomed to the slight rigidity a pad provides. Are you comfortable in the hammock alone with no pad or quilt?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    The quilts wll not stay in place so quilts are not working for me.no matter which quilt i use on different hammocks i get the same bad results ,the quilts dont stay under me,i am about to give up on under quiltsneo
    Last edited by neo; 05-12-2012 at 06:53.
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Sounds like you're having some issues with the suspension adjustment rather than an actual quilt problem. Maybe you need some 1-on-1 with an experienced "quilter". I only have a 3/4 lengh (shoulders to knees). I still use a small pad under my feet.

Does the quilt actually end up bunched up on one side of the hammock (shot out from under you) or is it drooping away from your backside? This info will probably help the folks here better diagnose the issue.

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Sounds like you're having some issues with the suspension adjustment rather than an actual quilt problem. Maybe you need some 1-on-1 with an experienced "quilter". I only have a 3/4 lengh (shoulders to knees). I still use a small pad under my feet.

Does the quilt actually end up bunched up on one side of the hammock (shot out from under you) or is it drooping away from your backside? This info will probably help the folks here better diagnose the issue.
    trust me i have done all kinds of adjustmentsneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Have you tried Dutch's quilt hooks. They hold a quilt in place perfectly,,you can use 4,,,one at each end of each side,,and even put one in the middle of the quilt if you wanted.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Have you tried Dutch's quilt hooks. They hold a quilt in place perfectly,,you can use 4,,,one at each end of each side,,and even put one in the middle of the quilt if you wanted.
    they will not work for me nothing to hook on toneo
    the matrix has you

Images
    Neo, you are reporting a problem that many others have reported before you. I have not had a lot of problems with this myself, I'm just basing this on the number of threads started here over the years.

As you are finding, unlike a pad which you just put in a pad pocket and lay on it, a quilts fit must be perfect and must stay that way through the night. And the way all of this comes together seems to vary with the UQ, the hammock and even the individual. Plus, it has to stay that way all night as you move in your sleep.

I used to have a lot of trouble with my WB Climashield Yeti slipping off of my left shoulder during the night ( or moving up causing a gap). I also had trouble getting my TQ tucked under my left shoulder while still keeping the Yeti in position. I finally solved most of this problem by shortening the left shock cord relative to the right side. So that when I tighten the whole thing, the left side is a good bit tighter, and the quilt is not so quick to slip off my shoulder anymore. But some combos I think are without any fiddle factor: A HHSS once you get it installed as directed, a Speer PeaPod ( no way for me to get off of a warm spot with that). And ditto a JRB MW on a JRB Bridge hammock. Only way I can come off of that head to toe warm area would be to fall out of the hammock, and no adjustments other than just put it on as directed. But that same quilt was a lot trickier on my WBBB. Though, once I got the foot box to stay in place ( had to fiddle with suspension) it stayed in place keeping me very warm through a very windy 18F night. So the quilt/hammock matchup can be tricky.

But another thing you might try: figure out where the quilt is supposed to be once you are in your optimal position in the hammock. And get your quilt adjusted in perfect position with no gaps. Then take a small safety pin and pin either the the quilt suspension or fabric edge to the edge of your hammock on near the left shoulder and maybe the foot. Plus, Dutch makes some doo-hickeys designed just for this job.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-12-2012 at 08:05.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    they will not work for me nothing to hook on toneo
    Do you have to sew something on?

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Neo, you are reporting a problem that many others have reported before you. I have not had a lot of problems with this myself, I'm just basing this on the number of threads started here over the years.

As you are finding, unlike a pad which you just put in a pad pocket and lay on it, a quilts fit must be perfect and must stay that way through the night. And the way all of this comes together seems to vary with the UQ, the hammock and even the individual. Plus, it has to stay that way all night as you move in your sleep.

I used to have a lot of trouble with my WB Climashield Yeti slipping off of my left shoulder during the night ( or moving up causing a gap). I also had trouble getting my TQ tucked under my left shoulder while still keeping the Yeti in position. I finally solved most of this problem by shortening the left shock cord relative to the right side. So that when I tighten the whole thing, the left side is a good bit tighter, and the quilt is not so quick to slip off my shoulder anymore. But some combos I think are without any fiddle factor: A HHSS once you get it installed as directed, a Speer PeaPod ( no way for me to get off of a warm spot with that). And ditto a JRB MW on a JRB Bridge hammock. Only way I can come off of that head to toe warm area would be to fall out of the hammock, and no adjustments other than just put it on as directed. But that same quilt was a lot trickier on my WBBB. Though, once I got the foot box to stay in place ( had to fiddle with suspension) it stayed in place keeping me very warm through a very windy 18F night. So the quilt/hammock matchup can be tricky.)

But another thing you might try: figure out where the quilt is supposed to be once you are in your optimal position in the hammock. And get your quilt adjusted in perfect position with no gaps. Then take a small safety pin and pin either the the quilt suspension or fabric edge to the edge of your hammock on near the left shoulder and maybe the foot. Plus, Dutch makes some doo-hickeys designed just for this job.
    i dont believe quilts are going to work for me,they slip out from under me
    i dont trust them plus the dont look right on a hammock to me,i think i am one those people that were just to stick with pads lolneo
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast