Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    That's actually great to hear, Neo!

I think a lot of people are put off hammocking because of the people (like me) who rave about UQs which, lets face it, are quite spendy. It's good to have people who get pads to work for them- it takes all sorts of people to hammock.

If it's not too much of a tangent, how do you work your pad system? SPE? what kind of pad do you use?

Also, sounds like you're using 3/4 UQs- I wonder how a full length would work- sounds like the 3/4 ones are a steeper learning curve. I wonder if you could try adjusting the quilt on someone else so you can see what happens from outside of the hammock when it slips- just for the other people who do want to stick with quilts.

On the plus side I guess you'd sell 'em easy on the for sale forum.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    trust me i have done all kinds of adjustmentsneo
    Not all kinds, otherwise you wouldn't have started this thread. Quilts work...get someone who knows what they're doing to help you in person. Until you've done that, don't give up.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    That's actually great to hear, Neo!

I think a lot of people are put off hammocking because of the people (like me) who rave about UQs which, lets face it, are quite spendy. It's good to have people who get pads to work for them- it takes all sorts of people to hammock.

If it's not too much of a tangent, how do you work your pad system? SPE? what kind of pad do you use?

Also, sounds like you're using 3/4 UQs- I wonder how a full length would work- sounds like the 3/4 ones are a steeper learning curve. I wonder if you could try adjusting the quilt on someone else so you can see what happens from outside of the hammock when it slips- just for the other people who do want to stick with quilts.

On the plus side I guess you'd sell 'em easy on the for sale forum.

TH
    i have been hammock camping since may 2002 and pads have always worked for me,another thing i dont like is whoopie slings i have recently tried them plus i dont like figure 9 tarp adjusters,i am afraid they will poke holes in my tarp when they are stuffed lolneo
    the matrix has you

So then were you just announcing this as a PSA?

You seemed pretty quick to shoot down every piece of advice and just respond with "Nope, that won't work. Quilts aren't for me"... .Well if you don't even want to attempt other people's advice, then that's fine... But why then, would you post a public thread on a forum about it?

I mean, HYOH, but it seems to me like you just wanted to announce to the world that you don't like underquilts.

Having used both, personally, I'd much rather use an underquilt, I find they're much more comfortable and don't interfere with my lay in a hammock. I'm currently using just a Therm-a-Rest full length pad, but if I were to continue to use one into next season, I'd look at the SPE system, just to give me the coverage up the sides where my pad falls short, and my sleeping bag/TQ insulation is too compressed. With just a pad, I get cold spots below 40*F

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DJPyro View Post

You seemed pretty quick to shoot down every piece of advice and just respond with "Nope, that won't work. Quilts aren't for me"... .Well if you don't even want to attempt other people's advice, then that's fine... But why then, would you post a public thread on a forum about it?

I mean, HYOH, but it seems to me like you just wanted to announce to the world that you don't like underquilts.

Having used both, personally, I'd much rather use an underquilt, I find they're much more comfortable and don't interfere with my lay in a hammock. I'm currently using just a Therm-a-Rest full length pad, but if I were to continue to use one into next season, I'd look at the SPE system, just to give me the coverage up the sides where my pad falls short, and my sleeping bag/TQ insulation is too compressed. With just a pad, I get cold spots below 40*F
    not shooting down peoples advice,these things i tried are not working for me
    i have been hanging for years and camp in near 0 degree weather,i feel more comfortable with pads,neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DJPyro View Post

i have an SPE system i bought it years ago and i never use itneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Well, to each his own, HYOH, yada yada

I think you could be a little more open minded but it's no sweat off my back. I've never used a pad honestly. I just opted for an UQ cause of the hassles I had read people having with pads. Of course there was a learning curve with the UQ as I'm sure there is with pads. Once I finally figured out how to make the UQ work for me I can't imagine having to fiddle with a pad all night.

There has been some great advice in this thread and I'm sure with experience you could find a way to make the UQ work for you. That however is your choice, but then again maybe the matrix has me!
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Some use quilts because they couldn't get pads to work.
    Some use pads because they couldn't get quilts to work.
    Some use quilts because they heard pads don't work.
    Some use pads because they heard quilts don't work.
    Some use both depending on the situation and know how to get both to work and the limitations of both.

Pads work quite well, as do quilts. One isn't better than the other, just better for you with your specific needs.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Stick with your pads and claytor. (you and I are in the minority with those two gear items)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    The quilts wll not stay in place so quilts are not working for me.no matter which quilt i use on different hammocks i get the same bad results ,the quilts dont stay under me,i am about to give up on under quiltsneo
    So are the quilts warm until they move from under you? If that is the case, you just need to solve that one problem.

Dutch does make some quilt hooks that will fit on your hammocks, he makes several different kinds. In the meantime, try those suggestions from others and from me in my 1st post in this thread, about tightening the suspension more on one side and/or safety pins.

If I could come to your upcoming hang out, we could work on it. ( But I will be in GA for 45th HS reunion). But I bet there will be others there who use their quilts successfully, and they might have some things they can show you that would be helpful.

OTOH, you are a long time pad user with no problems whatsoever. For those who like pads, you can not beat the simplicity and cost and you are already set for emergency going to ground, and you already have your sit pad. Water proof/Windproof/ bombproof. So you are in the lucky group that loves pads. For those lucky people who are totally warm AND comfortable on pads, the only advantage I can think of for an UQ is less bulk, period. So, if you are getting beyond the amount of time and hassle you are willing to spend on the UQ learning curve, then nothing wrong with just selling the quilts and sticking with what you know works for you every time.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-12-2012 at 12:25.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    grinder

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast