Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

7 nights in my Claytor JH

Man. Once you have these things figured out, they are COMFORTABLE!

I took my Claytor on a 7-day survival training in Michigan. I was, of course, the only one with a hammock. I am happy to say, however, that I've sent two people to Claytor's website to order hammocks after seeing how nice mine was

I used a structural ridgeline, and it made ALL the difference. The hammock sagged nicely beneath it. The switch to using 1/4" amsteel blue for my attachment to the hammock made the cinch buckles work properly, and the whole thing was very easy to adjust.

It took me all of a couple minutes to get myself situated each night, and then a couple more to chase around all the bugs that flew in with me

I rode out a FIERCE thunderstorm that sent 1 tent camper fleeing to their car. I was snug as a bug, and completely dry.

I am officially a convert. I need to figure out a good way to hang my pack. I know I could just hang it off the support strap, but I really don't want it out in the rain all night. I may do a gear hammock or something.

This is so much freaking fun! It's a new obsession for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Congrats on your successful hang.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    Great photos. What a bonus to spend a week hanging. I carry with me a web strap and some hooks. I wrap the strap around the tree, hang the hooks from the strap and I have my own "rack" for hanging things. It is part of a kit from Coleman exponent series. It comes with a small table and lantern hanger, but I dont always take those along. The bulk of my camping is with a kayak or scouts so if you a thru hiker, you may not justify the weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Noshtero View Post

I took my Claytor on a 7-day survival training in Michigan. I was, of course, the only one with a hammock. I am happy to say, however, that I've sent two people to Claytor's website to order hammocks after seeing how nice mine was

I used a structural ridgeline, and it made ALL the difference. The hammock sagged nicely beneath it. The switch to using 1/4" amsteel blue for my attachment to the hammock made the cinch buckles work properly, and the whole thing was very easy to adjust.

It took me all of a couple minutes to get myself situated each night, and then a couple more to chase around all the bugs that flew in with me

I rode out a FIERCE thunderstorm that sent 1 tent camper fleeing to their car. I was snug as a bug, and completely dry.

I am officially a convert. I need to figure out a good way to hang my pack. I know I could just hang it off the support strap, but I really don't want it out in the rain all night. I may do a gear hammock or something.

great pics and report,now you fully understand why i brag about the claytor jungle hammock,it rocksneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    Neo- I didnt know you had a Claytor.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Neo- I didnt know you had a Claytor.
    LOL... yeah right. Good one<G>.

Noshtero, gear hammocks work well & Youngblood (for one) uses a system that's extremely simple, lightweight & cheap. Just put the pack & whatever stuff is not in use in a trash bag, on the ground under the hammock.
    Easy to reach stuff when you need it & it's well protected from blowing rain.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

I used a structural ridgeline, and it made ALL the difference.

I am officially a convert.

Yeah, ya gotta wonder what keeps so many people on the ground!

Images
    Great report! One picture(the last one on the right) of your sleeping bag or quilt looks like you were laying right down the middle, rather than diagonal. Is that what you did? If so, apparently you had no knee discomfort?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Great report! One picture(the last one on the right) of your sleeping bag or quilt looks like you were laying right down the middle, rather than diagonal. Is that what you did? If so, apparently you had no knee discomfort?
    To be honest, no matter how I started the night off, I landed like you see in that picture Come to think of it, I did have a little knee discomfort each morning. I think with some more practice and tweeking, I'll get the hang and lay right. Either that or I'll go to a bridge or something

If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them. Everytime I tried to lay diagonal, my legs just slid to the middle lol.

Images
    To be honest, no matter how I started the night off, I landed like you see in that picture Come to think of it, I did have a little knee discomfort each morning. I think with some more practice and tweeking, I'll get the hang and lay right. Either that or I'll go to a bridge or something

If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them. Everytime I tried to lay diagonal, my legs just slid to the middle lol.
    Not sure about the "sliding to the midline" thing, cause or solution. I had not noticed that. A different amount of sag might keep that from happening, wild guess.

But if you are otherwise comfortable with a mid-line lie, you might just put an extra piece of clothing ( if you have any with you) under your knees. Or, put your feet out to the hammock sides, left foot to the far left hammock side and vice versa for the right. For me, this tends to form a bit of a foot pocket for each foot to drop into, plus some fabric hammock support under the knees. And lastly, you might experiment with your position either more or less towards the foot. This often seems to alter my knee extension and my heels ability to drop into a "foot pocket" on each side.

Also, all of the above ( in my Speer or Claytors) varies somewhat with amount of sag. Happy experimenting and tweaking!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast