Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Never used a hammock but want to buy

hello i was interested i the clark nx150 but i don't see videos or people talking about it they all seem to be using the nx250 is there something i should know about the 150 before buying it or should i just not fool around and go for the nx250 right off the bat? I'm 6ft 155 pounds. i never seen a hammock or tried one in person i hike allot in the Adirondacks of ny and white mountins of nh but don't see any group hangs id love to go to one if there is thanks
    Jason
    Last edited by ijason; 05-12-2012 at 20:50.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    At your height and weight it looks like you are well within the comfort rating of the NX150. Also check the comparison file on the Clark website for detailed info on each model. Going bigger may have some advantage in comfort but I would trust 'Clarks' comfort recommendations.
    Some advantages of the NX150 if it fits you are:
    1. $40 cheaper
    2. 5 oz lighter
    3. Better coverage with whatever tarp you choose.

I would go for a NX-250. Im 6"2' and just returned a NX-150 for a NX-250. The 150 works for me with an airmattress, and you may even feel a 250 is a little to long (my old NX-200 is) but your sleep quality is going to be better with the extra width and length on a NX-250 in my exp.

Smile

whooo it sure is pricy I'm real tempted to pull the trigger and get the nx150 I'm so use to a tent and i just hope that i like the hammock setup. it's $470 with the vertex rainfly and tree straps shipped to my door. best of all my wife give me the okay to buy it. problem is if she likes it then it's another $470 lol she says shee will miss not being able to talk together like we do in a tent but we sleep together at home every night so alone for a few nights is not so bad.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    If your wife will be going with you often take a close look at the new Flex180. It looks kinda interesting. Cheaper and lighter than 2 individual setups. But no pockets on the underside so probably will need some kind of bottom side insulation.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    OP is rather slender. I think he's notice the 3" /75mm difference in widths less than many, less than I do at 170lb on shorter frame. I'm wider than OP and find the NX250 luxuriously wide, and the smaller bed Clarks just fine. I'll endorse, too, the advantages of needing a shorter rain fly.

On width: Not only are many hammocks liked here long, but also wide. So, it was a surprise to me to notice that hammocks loved by some for comfort, the Switchbacks of Tree to Tree, are just 50" / 125cm wide.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ijason View Post
    whooo it sure is pricy I'm real tempted to pull the trigger and get the nx150 I'm so use to a tent and i just hope that i like the hammock setup. it's $470 with the vertex rainfly and tree straps shipped to my door. best of all my wife give me the okay to buy it. problem is if she likes it then it's another $470 lol she says shee will miss not being able to talk together like we do in a tent but we sleep together at home every night so alone for a few nights is not so bad.
    Double check yourself on the Clark tree straps--they are pretty long at 81 inches each ( almost 7 feet)!! There only 6 bucks if you get them with your hammock, but you should have a shorter set for average trees.
    You may want to look at other vendors for a shorter set, perhaps 4-5 ft.
    unless your trees are mighty huge!!
    Here is a link on TREE HUGGERS from the forums
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

straps

Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    Double check yourself on the Clark tree straps--they are pretty long at 81 inches each ( almost 7 feet)!! There only 6 bucks if you get them with your hammock, but you should have a shorter set for average trees.
    You may want to look at other vendors for a shorter set, perhaps 4-5 ft.
    unless your trees are mighty huge!!
    Here is a link on TREE HUGGERS from the forums
    Clark's straps are also 2'' wide, but the marlin spike is still do-able with them.

hi thanks for all your replys i think ill go with the nx150 im 6ft tall and 155 pounds i hope it will be large enough for me acording to clarks specs it seems like it will do the trick the only thing that im worried about is im buying something that i never tried before. but the whole idea of not sleeping on the ground makes sence to me so i hope its a good choice for me thanks

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I'm preaching group hangs tonight If there is any chance that you can attend a group hang in your area, that would the perfect time to try different hammocks, see different set-ups and ask questions.

....Whatever you do, don't try to double up in one hammock for sleep.

Welcome, from Ohio.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast