Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images

Buffalo National River, first overnight hang and lessons learned

Took a canoe trip on the Buffalo National River, Arkansas. Put in Sunday late afternoon, came out at the White river (58 miles later) on Friday morning. I have a new T-shirt that states "paddle faster, I hear Banjo music".

Lesson learned:
    1) Always hang the Under Quilt! I was warm going to bed the first night, darkness was setting in as I was trying to get situated. Two hours later, I'm listening to all the frogs, crickets, Whipporills, and start getting CBS (Cold Butt Syndrom). So at 12:30 AM, I get up to put on the UQ.

2) Always loosen the Whoopie slings when taking down. I did it every morning and then in the evening, snap snap to adjust the whoopies.

3) Use the WBBB "shelf" and toss in the Grand Trunk silk liner. If you don't need it, fine. But at 4 AM and you are chilled, it is much easier to just grab it out of the shelf and spread out.

4) More of a "what would you do?". SO along the untamed river, there are few campgrounds. We wanted to not camp around anyone anyways. But the trees along the river are mostly bent at 45 degrees into the river. Makes it tough to get the tarp over the hammock. Anyone have a solution? I made it each night.

Observation. We T-boned a tree and both got knocked out of the canoe (LOTS of people had hit it, it was slowly being chopped down by canoe/kayak hits). I strained my bad back. ONE night in the hammock (and a prescription muscle relaxer and two Tylenol PM) and I was 90 percent the next morning! I slept better in the hammock the last night, than in the house the day we made it back.

Wildlife spotted.
    Two elk swimming the river. Lots of deer. 5 Arkansas razorbacks. A silly squirrel swimming the river (nuts must be better on the other side). THREE bald eagles (two were a mated pair, as they were keeping watch on opposing bends in the river).

A few photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    That sounds like an awesome trip! My float trips seem to always include a T-storm in the middle of it.
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tncamper View Post
    That sounds like an awesome trip! My float trips seem to always include a T-storm in the middle of it.
    We got lucky. It was 70 percent chance of rain on the first night and into the first full day. We were wishing the silly whipporills would SHUT UP, when at 3:55 AM.....they DID! Then I realised there was lightening (no thunder), a big gust of wind blew up the river, smelling of rain. I jumped out of the hammock to insure all was tied down, my buddy did the same with his tent. At 4:01, rained for about 5 minutes. Then, another gust of wind. Silence......for 2 minutes and then back to the all night whipporills call in show! that was the end of the 70 percent chance of rain. We were happy about it however.
    Call me Junior

"For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Nice trip report....ahhhhh...love the sound of the whipporwills as we have them around the house,,the singing of them in the early evenings and early mornings are great... Ever see one? They are kinda goofy looking fluffy bird to make such sweet music.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for posting.

I think you may be onto something with your Tshirt idea. After being stationed at Little Rock AFB for four years and getting out and about in the woods down there I can appreciate the inspiration behind your idea.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    great trip report and pictures,i spend all my free time kayaking and camping here in tennesseeneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Great pics. When ever i see trip reports on this area it always looks nice.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    That "Paddle faster, I hear banjos" refers to the Chatooga River between SC and GA, where they filmed "Deliverance."

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    That "Paddle faster, I hear banjos" refers to the Chatooga River between SC and GA, where they filmed "Deliverance."
    Yes, but I got a T-shirt from the Buffalo River, which says on the Front "Buffalo River" and on the back, the quote about banjo's (in the movie, it was the kid on banjo and Ronny Cox on guitar). So it's "morphed" over to the Buffalo (and probably other rivers). The Buffalo is still not dammed, and won't be since it is a National River. One of the the points of the Deliverance movie, was the damming of the Chattoga.
    Call me Junior

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip. A couple of those pics look familiar (the bluffs) are any of them around the Steel Creek area? I've been thinking about a float/hang trip. I just need to convince my wife we need a kayak.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast