Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Trip report - Lake Superior Area

I had a quick trip over the weekend, and thought I’d share some pictures.

The trip was to Bayfield, Wisconsin. While Waukesha had temps in the high 80’s and low 90’s during the day, it was upper 70’s – low 80’s in Bayfield over the weekend. We arrived mid-morning on Saturday, and I was so tired I hung my JRB BMB out behind my parent’s house for a couple hours of naptime. I must say, the BMB is a comfortable hammock, but I can’t get over the stretch. Even after 2 ½ hours of hanging, the hammock stretched enough for me to be just off the ground. One of these days, I’ll have enough time to experiment with different suspensions to see if I can get rid of the stretch.

After eating dinner, I loaded up my Clark NA for a stealth trip down the shoreline. I am saddened by the amount of development that has occurred on the shoreline that I spent my youth playing along. While they have kept the houses to a minimum and have generally kept them from building right on the water, the access to the shoreline is now private property. One of my favorite swimming/hanging out spots on the whole lake is now in private ownership. While no signs were posted, it’s only a matter of time.

I hiked a little further than I had planned, and located a small, secluded beach that I knew of from my younger days to hang from. This beach will never see another hammock unless the owners of the land decide to take up hammock camping, because there is a house being built just up the hill on the only access to this spot; besides the lake, of course. Big sandstone cliffs and thick brush surround the rest of the area, with a few houses set back from the cliffs in the neighborhood. The sound of the waves lapping up against the beach was incredible, and very restful as the waves drowned out all other sounds. I did a little swimming from my spot (water temps in the upper 60’s,) then retired to a small campfire and a good night’s sleep inside my Clark NA with my Exped WallCreeper. Temps were upper 50’s with a slight breeze – no need for a UQ – slept like a log.

Some other pics from the weekend - BTW, I plan on getting some pics hanging below this lighthouse on my next trip up.

Last edited by fin; 08-06-2008 at 16:11.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    WOW... that's a nice place to hang a hammock!
    Good find on the driftwood up right! Thanks for taking pictures.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    WOW... that's a nice place to hang a hammock!
    Good find on the driftwood up right! Thanks for taking pictures.
    There was another uprooted tree buried in the sand a little farther down the beach, but it wasn't as nice a spot. I have to say, it was almost perfect. The only downside was the driftwood had a little "spring" to it, so I had a little more sag than I wanted. Had to adjust the supports a little tighter than normal. I also had sailboats going by all evening. Good thing I wasn't skinny dipping!

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Thanks for sharing your good time with us. Terrific pictures! Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Great pics, I love that area. The apostle islands are beautiful. You sure got a break on the water temp. The white noise of the waves must have been incredibly relaxing. Nice report and pics.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    The only downside was the driftwood had a little "spring" to it, so I had a little more sag than I wanted. Had to adjust the supports a little tighter than normal.
    I wondered if you might not be getting some "spring" from that upright.
    I noticed another large log laying just beyond it that might possibly serve as an extra tie off to brace the drift wood you used as a hammock support.
    I've done something like that a few times when I wanted to use a particularly nice spot but one of the hammock supports were smaller than ideal... like a small tree or small Rhododendron. If you have an extra length of webbing or rope, just run it from the small tree to something more stable.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Nice report and great pics. Thanks for the report FF.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    fishinfinn, your are making me cry. i miss lake superior so much. i hope to be back in the spring
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    FishinFinn, not sure of your exact lake side camp location. Think I recognize the lighthouse (?Long Island).

It's a bit sad to see the Bayfield Peninsula becoming another Door Co. If you get up here in winter and view the shoreline from the ice it will make you cry. Area is getting loved to death. Good news is Houghton Pt may become part of the Bayfield Area Land Conservancy.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    FishinFinn, not sure of your exact lake side camp location. Think I recognize the lighthouse (?Long Island).

It's a bit sad to see the Bayfield Peninsula becoming another Door Co. If you get up here in winter and view the shoreline from the ice it will make you cry. Area is getting loved to death. Good news is Houghton Pt may become part of the Bayfield Area Land Conservancy.
    Below the old sanitarium.

• + New Posts