Hanging in a Canyon-New to HF

I have been hanging from trees for years. Now, I want to take my hammock to the canyon & cave parks. I wouldn't dare hang my hammock from a stalagmite but there are sections of rock face that have been used for rock climbing that are perfect distance for a cave slumber. I have camped out in the open at some canyon parks, suspended from boulders but the winds in these desert flats rip the heat from my back side even with a fly and UQ. I want to try and get as close to a wall as I can; to block some wind and reflect some sun heat. To do this I need to hang within a crevasse or from a cliff face to a boulder. I know how to tie off to a boulder but its the nook-n-cranny ridden walls that have challenged me.

I have done some research on camming devices used for rock climbing but they seem a little excessive with their 1.7K-4K pound weight capacities and $54-$100 costs.

Is there a cam that is less extreme, say 400lb weight capacity? Maybe one that was built to hold gear, not a life. While I understand the need for quality and strength in equipment used by rock climbers, I am only going to be hanging a few feet from the ground. At least, for now...

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have an assortment of these that I use for the small cracks and such. I have successfully used them to hang in the Grand Canyon, and also from rock in Arches and the Tetons. I bought 4, and selected them to span what I thought I might find. I tend to use the smallest ones I can, meaning I look for very small cracks and crevices. The smallest of these will support 900#s. I tend to use 0,2,4,and 6. The #6 will support 1800#s.
    Last edited by olzeke; 05-13-2012 at 19:17.

I just watched some youtube videos on the nut stoppers and that's exactly what I'm looking for! THANKS!

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I have the CampUSA Tri-cams.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 17.jpg (247.1 KB, 76 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (289.3 KB, 68 views)
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

• + New Posts