WBBB XL 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch & Whoopie!

Newbie questions

Hey guys, I'm looking to make my first (serious) hammock purchase. I think I'm settling on the WBBB!! woo-hoo!! Anyway, with so many variables I have a couple questions. Mainly one regarding single and double layers. I (think) would rather use an under quilt than a pad and therefore am leaning toward the single layer 1.7 but I have noticed that most people seem to go with the double layer. Is there another reason (or benefit) other than sliding your pad between the layers? I am 6' & 190lbs, does the single 1.7 sound like a good fit? I have been trying to find the hammock with the right fit, features and weight. I have a lot of hobbies that I carry into the woods with me so I need to be weight conscious but comfort is important to.

The other hammocks I was looking at were:
    1. HH Hyperlite - solely about the weight but was told its too small for me
    2. Dangerbird - I love it but being in the southeast I doubt I really need the top cover and could use to shed the weight.

Any advice/help would be appreciated - Thanks

P.S. what might I not be considering when making my first purchase? I'm sure there will be some "aha!" moments after I sink into my first hammock - would like to avoid the negative ones

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Leigh's Uq /UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Woopie/Dutch
    Some get the double layer for the Mosquitos. I have a WB and a HH, both are nice. If you could find someone by you to look at them first that would be best before you buy. I love the WBBB! I know this does not help you but hope it helps some on why the double layers for some.

Hammock
    HH Ex Deluxe, WBBB 1.7 DL, ENO-DN
    Tarp
    HH Hex-mesh skins
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I also have both a HH & a WBBB 1.7 DL I think the Blackbird is more comfortable & roomy (for me) I'm 5'11" 225#, so I push the limit on a SL when my 30# dog sleeps with me. If you go with a SL in cool weather you will definitely need a UQ. This time of year a DL doesn't need an UQ. Just my 2cents.
    ~Sonny~

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    I'm 5'10" and weigh 190. I chose the 1.1 Dbl for the reason that I could choose to add a pad or not. The weight difference didn't bother me, I am not doing any long distance hiking as of right of now.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    I'm 6' 210 lbs. I use the dbl as well. Here are the benefits I'm able to speek to.
    1. Good at fighting mosquitos
    2. If it's a cool night, I can easily slip reflectix inbetween the layers to keep warm and block wind. This is much easier to tote in my pack than a pad.
    3. On those real cold nights I keep the next days clothes between the two layers so when I wake up and get dressed they're already warm. Great way to start the day.

There's no right or wrong here in my book, just what works best for you. This is what works best for me.

Enjoy!
    biggameken

Hammock
    WBBB XL 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch & Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by biggameken View Post
    2. If it's a cool night, I can easily slip reflectix inbetween the layers to keep warm and block wind. This is much easier to tote in my pack than a pad.
    So are you saying you hang without a pad or under quilt much of the time? I was under the impression that you almost always needed some kind of pad or quilt underneath you. Is that not true? That kinda changes things if that is the case. At what temperature would you guys say some kind of insulator becomes necessary?

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Welcome from a fellow Georgian.

I prefer DL for a couple reasons
    -I always use an UQ in cool weather, but in the spring/summer/fall when lows are above 70-75, I will put a Neat sheet between the layers to cut the breeze off my back instead of an UQ. Anything will work. I have access between the layers on all 4 corners. You could also just lay on top of one in a single layer.
    -It seems to have less stretch than a single layer 1.7.
    -I use a 3/4 UQ most of the time and my sit pad fits nicely between the layers as leg insulation without falling out when I shift a little.
    -the mosquito thing isn't an issue for me b/c my bugnet surrounds my hammock and me. I can see how DL could help with that for a hammock with net on top only.
    -One downside is sometimes, if I don't get in correctly, my layers shift a little. In other words, i could lay in the hammcok with an edge seam centered down my back it only took a night or two to learn how to avoid this. Mine is open with no attached bug net, so it may not be an issue with a WBBB.

Hammock
    GT UL, WBBB1.7sl, Taveler1.7sl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4s
    Insulation
    Yeti 3s, UGQ Top
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'll be the first (so far) to say that I have a 1.7 single layer, and love it. Mainly because, given my weight requirements, it is the lightest WBBB i could get away with. I am 6' tall and clock in at 215# and I don't notice all that much stretch, perhaps a 'lil, but not much.
    To be fair,I am the consummate gram counter, in fact I just loaded my pack for a quick overnighter and weighed it in with my fishing scale at 16lbs 7oz total with food and two liters of water.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

no insulation

Quote Originally Posted by Xristos View Post
    So are you saying you hang without a pad or under quilt much of the time? I was under the impression that you almost always needed some kind of pad or quilt underneath you. Is that not true? That kinda changes things if that is the case. At what temperature would you guys say some kind of insulator becomes necessary?
    Its always going to be a cool sensation on your back with no insulation... always. So, that really only works when its hot as scheisse out and then the cool sensation becomes a good thing... great thing actually. Good for summer camping at lower elevation - sometimes higher elevation during heat waves. The double layer gives you a better option for using extra clothes or other materials as insulation if needed in a pinch. I wouldn't say its necessarily any less cool than single.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I don't know if you saw this but it may be important to your decision...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52940

I think a lot depends on where you'll be using the hammock. If you're hiking in high country, then #1 the bugs are generally not a problem, and #2 you're more likely to be using some insulation underneath. But, if you want to hang some in the backyard or other buggy places now and then - and probably without insulation - then a double layer sounds like it would be better to me, even if you do use permethrin.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast