Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies

DangerBird question: Do I really need an Overcover?

Hello hangers,

I don't know if this thread is more appropriate under Manufacturers > Dream Hammocks. So, I hope the mods will put it where it belongs...

Does anyone here have any experience with DangerBird overcovers, wintersocks, etc.?

At this moment Papasmurf and I are exchanging thoughts about custumizing a DangerBird Hammock. He's thrown in some great ideas about reducing the overall weight.

One of the debates I'm now having with myself is whether the overcover should come separately or if I should just leave it out complete. Virtually all of my hiking takes place in warm and humid climate. For the few times that I go up to the cold mountains, my 3-season TQ/UQ system seem to do the job perfectly. Then there's those very infrequent times when I go to cold regions of the world, but I have yet to use a hammock in those conditions.

In those cases it only makes sense for me to have an overcover/sock if it replaces another piece of gear, like a tarp, or if it boosts the temp rating of my current 3-season insulation gear. But f it only acts as "extra protection" perhaps I should make do with out it.

Also, I wonder how a wintersock gets rigged so that it doesn't compress the UQ insulation.

I have zero experience with hammocking in the winter, so all your comments and advices are highly regarded.

Cheers,

R

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Without the over cover... isn't that his Roaming Gnome Hammock??
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I can't really see the need for an overcover. Seems like it would trap warm air for sure but also produce condensation. The overcover ideas is what has stopped me from wanting a Dangerbird. Now if your talking about an under cover, I love those. If I'm expecting temps below freezing or wind an under cover and my tarp is what covers me. I am never cold on top so maybe I'm not a good candidate for an OC.

To answer your question about the sock/undercover, you hang them loose close to the UQ but not compressing.

S

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I've found overcovers wonderful additions when temps get below freezing. Socks are a better alternative in very windy, frigid conditions. I wouldn't use a cover above freezing, especially in humid environs.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Yes to an overcover adding about 10-15F (or more) of warmth.
    No to them showing any condensation in my use...some people put out more moisture than others, the momentum overcover in my DangerBird has yet to show any condensate.
    BIG yes to socks...I've use a sock in 90F and down to 1.6F....

Hammock
    RG60
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    Makin' whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_R View Post
    Without the over cover... isn't that his Roaming Gnome Hammock??
    Yeah, his Roaming Gnome is the overcover-less version, and I agree that for me, I will not use the overcover as I am plenty comfy in low temps with my uq/tq.
    Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak.

“They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold; and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price. ” ― Khalil Gibran

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I wouldn't want an over cover that I can't leave behind. I just wouldn't want to haul it around with me when it's not needed. If it's something that can just be left behind, then I'd go for it. Now for a sock I love, love, love my sock!! Of course the sock is an option, so if it's not needed, then I don't take it. Socks usually hang below the UQ a bit so there isn't any worry about it compressing the UQ.

Now the problem with the "typical" sock, that you'll want to keep in mind, is with some of the newer, longer hammocks. With a typical sock you need to be able to reach the very end of the hammock above your head in order to cinch it shut. My new DIY hammock is longer and wider than my double nest, so I'll have to look into the alternative sock methods that have a side entrance and the flap door or zipper door.

Just more food for thought, don't mean to confuse the issue. I'm sure whatever you decide will be great and work with what you need it to work with.

Images
    It is totally removable, I believe. So you might as well get it and take it on those occasions when you think you might need it and leave it off the rest of the time. Win-Win!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    OOHH man I better get my custom order in quick . I just started talking to papa smurf today about a custom hammock. I am personally opting out of an over cover for two reasons. One I plan on using this hammock mostly in summer and secondly in MD it rarely gets below zero and if it does its only for an hr. or two at night time. IMHO I'd get the removable over cover that way you have one if you want to use it but you can also leave it at home in the warmer months.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    DivaB, I was thinking of the socks like the MacIX hammock sock which has a SEEP for entry/exit. I'd forgotten the pull on type socks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast