Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Ok guys here is a couple of pics. I made two 7' tall stands out of the following material

2x2x7' treated lumber(only a few more bucks a each and they were much straighter than the ones that were not treated.)
    gate hinges
    two 7'5" sections of fence pipe 1-3/8" with end caps(originally)
    clevis to hang from hinge to hold up bar
    two JRB straps with I think they call tri glides that I took off of a hammock suspension
    and here is what I got.

I thought I was around 240lbs but went inside and found I am at 250#. Ran to Lowe's and picked up two 6' sections of 1" black iron pipe and one coupling.

Here is how the hinge area is situated

The tarp on top of the pipe(going to have to go with a shorter length tarp but I can make this one work for now)

The view from within.

Overall it was fairly straight forward but the main difference I had to do was add a couple more feet to the line tension on the legs. With 10' of line it was still pretty wobbly so I added 1' then tried it and then added another 1'. Now it's pretty steady. I'm leaving for AK in a couple weeks and plan on carrying these with us in case we stay in a campground without the trees needed to hang.

I'm going to carry the stands to a hang this weekend and if happy with them I'll likely build a second one for my son(who is only 11 so the fence pipe should work for him). Thanks again for the help everyone!!!!!! I love that I can now hang in my yard wherever and whenever I want.
    Last edited by leeinmemphis; 05-16-2012 at 17:55.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    So wait, did the fence rail fail on you?

One other thought, your setup looks great but most everyone else building these has put the "third leg" of the tripod away from the center.
    It could possibly help with stability and at least it keeps you from knocking the ridge pole with that leg or having that leg be in the way of your hammock suspension. I know I like to swing a little...

Might be worth a try.
    Last edited by hppyfngy; 05-16-2012 at 17:18.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    So wait, did the fence rail fail on you?

One other thought, your setup looks great but most everyone else building these has put the "third leg" of the tripod away from the center.
    It could possibly help with stability and at least it keeps you from knocking the ridge pole with that leg or having that leg be in the way of your hammock suspension. I know I like to swing a little...

Might be worth a try.
    I ended up going with a 1" black iron pipe 12' long. I originally tried the 1-3/8" fence railing cut into two 7.5' sections but the top picture is the result. Setting up on concrete for the first time was probably not the best idea.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
    I ended up going with a 1" black iron pipe 12' long. I originally tried the 1-3/8" fence railing cut into two 7.5' sections but the top picture is the result. Setting up on concrete for the first time was probably not the best idea.
    Not to belabor the point, but whahoppen?

Did the flange kink and fold on you when you loaded the hammock?

I'm smaller and my top rail is shorter but it has never even flinched on me. I'm only asking so we might understand. Maybe your fail could keep the next guy from a hard flop on the concrete...

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Not to belabor the point, but whahoppen?

Did the flange kink and fold on you when you loaded the hammock?

I'm smaller and my top rail is shorter but it has never even flinched on me. I'm only asking so we might understand. Maybe your fail could keep the next guy from a hard flop on the concrete...

it folded just outside of the slip joint. When I sat it held me for a few seconds then as soon as I laid down on it it laid down on me. I thought by me posting about my weight and pipe I ended up using I was helping others. Guess not

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
    it folded just outside of the slip joint. When I sat it held me for a few seconds then as soon as I laid down on it it laid down on me. I thought by me posting about my weight and pipe I ended up using I was helping others. Guess not
    Sorry, don't mean to be dense it just wasn't clear to me what happened as I have had great success with that sort of arrangement.

Glad you didn't meet the concrete!

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Lee,

We really appreciate your details and photos of your build and your fail. I hope you don't mind more questions. Inquiring minds want to know! I'm glad you were safe, tried again and found a successful solution to your needs. I managed to fold one up, too, and it folded the same place as you describe. My mistake: I had moved the tripods closer into toward the center and tied off probably 15" outside the apex of the tripod, if my memory serves well. The fold was upwards, away from my body. Did yours fold up or down? Were you rigged into the tripod and rail pretty much the way your final version shows or did the rail extend out further beyond the tripod?

Turtlelady

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    TL.....the 15' pole was rigged the exact same way as above with the exception that the second set up is 12' instead of 15'. I was a little worried about my weight but figured I'ld give it a go. I'm going to build a second set for my son and I'll be able to reuse some of the tubing and fittings for his top rail. He's only 11 years old and probably weighs 110 lbs or so. Mine folded down and the fall wasn't really too bad but I set up in the grass for the second try. I am not trying to say anything bad about your design at all. Just thought I'ld give an fyi to the + sized folks trying this. I think if I set it up originally at 12' I may have been ok but I only have large tarps and was wanting a little longer ridge pole.

I do not know the entire history behind your set up but I really do appreciate the thought and application of the stand. Definitely someone smarter than myself came up with this idea.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Your cautionary tale is important to tell. I appreciate your replies in detail. IMHO, it would be cool if someone more nimble than I in quoting and copying would post some quotes from this thread into the original thread on the TL stand so that others who read there know of this fail. Or maybe post a link there to this thread. I am clueless of how to do that.

Joyfully, TL

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    TL...I posted a link in your thread. I didn't want to spam up your thread because I was using a little different design. No worries......I was just putting up my results yesterday in case someone my size was interested in using a TL stand. It still works but the pipe is just a few pounds more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast