Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Si Nylon Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    I thru hiked with my hammock last Summer, I used a Mount Washington 4 and my Western Mpuntaineering 20 deg bag from Springer to Pearisburg and from Hanover to Katahdin. I purchased the MW4 for this trip as my Nest left me cold on the JMT the previous year. I was comfortable at night every night and I should add that the coldest nights on the trail occurrred after Damascus and trail days (Grayson to Roan). I had received advice to keep Winter gear until Pearisburg and to switch back to Winter gear before the Whites, that advice was spot on.
    I used my 3 season Nest and a new 32 deg Hammock Specialties down topquilt from Pearisburg to Hanover, I was never cold with these and they were probably a bit overkill. I did notice that the underquilt did not add to discomfort on hot Summer nights.
    I had a Neo shipped to Fontana in case I had to shelter in the GSMNP (and for three nights I had do do exactly that). I liked the flexibility of having a way to sleep comfortably in a shelter although I rarely did so until later in the hike if the weather was bad. last year was a year of serious thunderstorms and a shelter for the night when high on a ridgeline was quite a comfort when stormy weather was threatening.
    I set up my hammock on the ground on three occasions but if I chose to I could have hammocked within a mile, I chose to stay with friends, the Neo made these nights quite comfortable.
    I hope this helps, my hike started March 23 and finished Oct 7

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Teegs View Post
    Forgive me if I'm missing something, but what advantage is quilt compressibility over a pad? Don't you just strap your pad to the outside of your pack? How does that relate to quilt compressibility/packability?
    A compact quilt will fit inside your pack. Personally, I find having bulky items strapped to the outside of the pack tend to get caught up on everything. Plus, who wouldn't enjoy a slimmer pack.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
    I had a Neo shipped to Fontana in case I had to shelter in the GSMNP (and for three nights I had do do exactly that). I liked the flexibility of having a way to sleep comfortably in a shelter although I rarely did so until later in the hike if the weather was bad...

I set up my hammock on the ground on three occasions but if I chose to I could have hammocked within a mile, I chose to stay with friends, the Neo made these nights quite comfortable.

That is useful intel. I've been studying alot about what to expect on an AT Thru-hike. It had occurred to me that sleeping in a shelter or on the ground is enevitable; if only a few times during the trip. It's just not something that is discussed alot around here and is never a concern on other forums cause ground dwelling is the norm.

Not to derail the thread, but...

I've been considering an 1/8" microcell EVA foam pad with a Klymit Inertia X frame inflatable. I suspect I'll carry the foam pad with me the entire trip, but have the inflatable shipped to places I'm most likely to need it, GSMNP & Whites mainly.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    For my summer hiking I go with a 40f TQ/UQ system. I am planning on using it for my PCT thru and bike across America trip as well. I find that is all I need because I always have my Patagonia Capiline 1's top and bottoms, Montbell U.L. Down inner jacket, and my rain/wind shirt, with me any ways, so with this system I can get to about 20f or a little lower.

My UQ is a UGQ Zeppelin 3/4 and weighs in at 13.25oz

I use a half of a Gossamer Gear thinlite pad that is in a large tyvek mailer as my sit pad/pack frame. But at night I unfold it and place it in the foot box of my TQ to keep the lower legs warm, which is how can get away with using only a 3/4 length.

The TQ is a Enlightened Equipment Revelation X 40f I got the 6ft regular (I am 6.2 and 210lbs and I fit fine in it) and took off the shock cord "cinch straps" as per they are not necessary in a quilt of this temp and that brought the weight down to 16oz...the shock cord only came to 3/8 of an oz any ways..but hey weight savings is weight savings.

So the total weight of TQ/UQ is 29.25 oz...but I can push it well into the lower temp rating.

Hope this helps. YMMV
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12