I am brand new to Hammocking, and have done my best to read most of the posts in each of the sections(reading 10-100+ pages per day for the last month or so).

I got drawn for a deer hunt this fall and this year will see my first four trips to the back country looking for mule deer in a National Wilderness area. No vehicular traffic allowed, and I plan on hiking in 4-8 hours, and this will likely be a dry camp so I will have to be packing in all my water. There will be three scouting trips, and one six day hunting trip. While I am in New Mexico, we are in the high desert. I live at just over a mile high, and I will be hunting between 7500-1100 feet. Expected temperatures in November will be lows in the mid 20s, and in the summer it will be mid 50s. Possible wind, rain, snow.

Because I want to go light the hammock has really caught my eye. I purchased a HH Expedition Deluxe with my annual 20% off and dividend at REI. I learned later that I needed a larger hammock, as I am 6'2". With the asym lay I can just make this one work, and for my daughter’s first hunt next year I will get a larger hammock and give her this one.

I have decided based on my reading and prices to purchase a Hammock Gear Underquilt. I want to buy once and cry once, and having said that, cost is a factor if I plan to get She Who Must Be Obeyed on board. Based on everything I have read Hammock Gear gets the nod.

I am looking 0deg quilts, and am trying to decide between 3/4 and full length. I anticipate that one winter trip a year (either Nov or Jan) will be the norm, with temps in the upper teens being the lowest I anticipate having to deal with. 80% of my trips to the woods are in the June-Oct time frame. Because I am new to back country hunting I don't want the trip ruined by wet down, etc, and I don't want to carry more than I have to, and I don't want to pay more than I have to. I have selected 0 degrees as a safe number, as I don't want to be in the woods and be a spring hammock-cicle for the bears to snack on due to a sudden unexpected cold spell.

Here are my thoughts: Since I don't anticipate needing 0 degrees regularly, a 3/4 cut UQ (the Phoenix) with 2QZQ's UQ protector should do me just fine. When I camp I believe in sleeping warm enough to sleep in my long handles w/stocking cap and socks at most so I can get dressed and face the day. With the protector I can put my daytime clothes in the foot end and have them slightly warmer than the outside air, and not have to wear them when I sleep, and have additional insulation. I also will have a pack or pad on all these trips to put my legs/feet on. Since I am so new to hammocking and help is several hours away, I want to truly be prepared and have the UQ, the Protector, and a pad stashed away. Can Hammock Gear do an UQ protector in the same style and price range as 2QZQ, thus saving me shipping?

What do you think? Am I over thinking this and just need the Incubator and forget all the extra stuff?

I really want this to be an annual thing, but I want to get it right, so I am not soured on it and bite the bullet and go with my first thought, a really expensive Kifaru Tipi and wood stove.

I will be ready to pull the in the next couple of weeks, and my first scouting trip is planned mid/late June.

Thank you for your assistance,

pat