Tenth Wonder Hornet
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Big Agnes w/ Exped
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    I have them for both of my tarps. Like them so much I put my Blackbird hammock in another snakeskin as well!
    Me too. Mesh snakeskins for the tarp, and DD hammock sleeve for the hammock. Makes set-up and break-down a breeze.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    But, who wants an old woman's tights? Is that like support hose?
    Olzeke, had to laugh! I guess I could have worded that better. I meant like pantyhose, but heavier weight. I guess you could buy new ones too, and I guess I didn't need to specify woman's tights as opposed to old men tights! Still chuckling.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Custom 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY quilt/pads
    Suspension
    Straps/ Dutch
    Grannypat,
    Just be careful, those old gals are pretty particular about their tights!!

I love my Mountaingoat mesh skins! I keep my tarp in the outer mesh pocket of my ULA Ohm. That way its easily accessible if it starts to rain & if its wet when I'm ready to pack up it doesn't get the inside of my pack wet! This also allows the tarp to dry somewhat throughout the day!

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to use the snakeskins with the tarp. I ran a ridgeline through the rings at the end of the tarp. I have the tarp tensioned on the ridgeline with a prussic knot and a carabiner. What i find is that I must unclip the carabiner to get the skins down the line to the tarp. But if I unclip the biner, there is nothing to hold the tarp taught, and it gets bunged up in the skins. Can anyone describe how you tension your tarp for use with the skins, and what hardware you use, and what gets disconnected when the skins go on. Anyone have a video of this happening?
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Snakeskin technique

My tarp is attached "permanently" to the ridgeline prussic (actually a klemheist but who's counting). Anyway, there's no carabiner to get in the way. So to put away my tarp I just hank up all the guy lines, pull the two sides together, and start rolling.

It's not very scientific but I start a little closer to one end so the corner lines and the 2nd one (I have 4 tieouts along the bottom edge of my 4-season tarp) get rolled up. Once I hit the ridgeline I reach over and pull the closer skin into place. The majority of the tarp is held rolled up by this first skin so I just kind of tidy up the roll on the other end and pull the 2nd skin into place.

My skins have a little pocket in each end to hold the ridgeline. I hank it up neatly on each end and jam it into this pocket. The whole "snake" gets kind of folded/wadded up and stuffed into the shovel pocket of my pack so it's easy to access first thing when I get into camp. My small stake bag is crammed into the same pack pocket. I'm not exactly a speedy hanger but if the sky is about to open up on me I can have the tarp out, ridgeline rigged, and all 8 tieouts rigged in maybe 3 minutes. My MacCat will go up quite a bit faster since it only has 4 tieouts (cat-cut hex tarp) but the process is the same.

My skins are made of noseeum netting so there is some drying that can take place with it stashed. I believe this is minimal though since they basically cover a tightly rolled waterproof tarp. I'm assuming just the outside edge will do any significant drying but it's better than nothing.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    I just ordered a set from them... Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    I love my Mountaingoat mesh skins! I keep my tarp in the outer mesh pocket of my ULA Ohm. That way its easily accessible if it starts to rain & if its wet when I'm ready to pack up it doesn't get the inside of my pack wet! This also allows the tarp to dry somewhat throughout the day!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Smokehouse 1
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Web
    You will like the Mountaingoat skins. I like the storage space at the ends to store the ridgeline.

Leon

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Snakeskins make for extremely fast setup and take down.

BTW, does anyone have a weight, preferably in grams on the Mountain Goat mesh skins?

Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Get a bath Lufa from the pharmacie. If you carefully untie the knot holding it all together you will find that it is a long tube of mesh. They work perfectly and are extremely cheap. If you end up not liking them you just wasted 2-3$ which is not that big of a deal.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast