diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch

intergrating a bugnet

first off i must say that this 'little' project was a royal pain in my back side. when it came time to work on the bugnet itself murphy not only put in an appearance, he made himself at home and kicked up his feet for the duration. first problem came when i hemmed the netting prior to sewing it onto the hammock body, i used a single fold and sew hem. the problem you ask? i wanted the 'raw' edge facing towards the inside and this is an asym shaped piece of netting. hemmed all four edges and draped it over the ridge line only to find out that i had rolled the fabric the wrong direction and to have it fit properly the raw edge would be facing out. time to dig out the seam ripper...... black thread on black netting is NOT your friend when it comes to removing stitching. finally finished with that and got it re hemmed the proper direction and moved on to sewing the netting to the body starting with the zipper side. sewing the netting to the zipper was easy enough only when i finished i had a LONG point of netting left over. panned on having a little over hang on the ends as i cut the center line of the netting slightly longer than the hammock RL to begin with but not as much as was left after sewing it together. *&@# strung up the hammock and sure enough there was tension on portions of the netting. where did that *^&%#@! seam ripper go?!?!? ended up not having any over hang on the ends and just darted the netting as i sewed to make up the difference. it was definitely a learning experience that i don't wish to repeat anytime in the near future. now on to the pics: turned out pretty good in the end but what a trip to get there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    First of all, it looks great. Those are just the experiences that you'll run into as you become
    better at it. I found for myself that I had to force myself to slow it down amd make sure that what I was doing was "right" before I "sewed it on" double check all your work before you sew, and when in question, "pin it in place" and take a good look at what you just did; it will alleviate a LOT of seam-ripping do-overs. No get on to your next project!

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I think it looks absolutely great!! I still haven't decided if I want my bugnet attached or not. I'm thinking not....but then I see how nice this is and I start over on wondering which I'd be happier with

Anyways....good job!! I don't pin, but I love those clamping paper clip things.

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    oh and if anyone is interested to know, the weight of the hammock itself minus the suspension is ~18.5 oz

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    I think it looks absolutely great!! I still haven't decided if I want my bugnet attached or not. I'm thinking not....but then I see how nice this is and I start over on wondering which I'd be happier with

Anyways....good job!! I don't pin, but I love those clamping paper clip things.

DivaB: I think you'll like the zippered bugnet once you see what's coming... unfortunately, I won't get it done until this weekend, at best... work has been kicking my butt..

Cin: That looks great! I never bother hemming my net.. just sew it up and trim until it looks good...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    DivaB: I think you'll like the zippered bugnet once you see what's coming... unfortunately, I won't get it done until this weekend, at best... work has been kicking my butt..

Cin: That looks great! I never bother hemming my net.. just sew it up and trim until it looks good...

John
    I was thinking TED style for mine....but, where are you all getting your zippers from and what length?

Hammock
    DIY Blue Monster
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Bug net looks great and you can take pride in knowing you did it yourself. But I understand after a frustrating project the relief of being done. Maybe in a few weeks that frustration will have gone and you'll be up for tackling another one

By the way, I like the look of that silver crinkle taffeta cloth you used for your hammock, too. Put on a black UQ and you're styling!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Nice job! This type of net is challenging.

I made my 1st integrated bugnet recently and found that the netting stretches but the zipper and nylon does not. That led to the excess netting at the ends. I mark both the netting and the nylon at 1 foot intervals and make sure to keep those marks lined up as I go.

After the fact, I decided that I don't like an integrated bugnet. I'm a side sleeper and change sides during the night. As I change sides, I also switch to the other diagonal. Therefore I need a symmetrical hammock. I found the bugnet to be too confining; essentially narrowing the hammock.

I've made separate bugnets in both the TED and Fronkey styles and prefer them to the integrated ones. Due to the lack of zipper on separate nets, the weight is essentially equal to a zippered one even though more netting is required.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I got my zippers from WWW.DIYGEARSUPPLY.COM

just order #3 zipper material for the total length you will need and cut it up yourself. Don't forget to order two dual #3 sliders for each side if the hammock (4 in all).
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Nice job! This type of net is challenging.

I made my 1st integrated bugnet recently and found that the netting stretches but the zipper and nylon does not. That led to the excess netting at the ends. I mark both the netting and the nylon at 1 foot intervals and make sure to keep those marks lined up as I go.
    actually the most challenging part for me was sewing the netting on and getting that right.
    ended up doing something similar only i marked the half way point 3-4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    After the fact, I decided that I don't like an integrated bugnet. I'm a side sleeper and change sides during the night. As I change sides, I also switch to the other diagonal. Therefore I need a symmetrical hammock. I found the bugnet to be too confining; essentially narrowing the hammock.
    that is the down side to an asym design, had considered a sym design like the one found at backwoods daydreamer but i don't switch sides seeing as i have never been able to get comfortable with out my body seeming to 'counter rotate' itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vissarian View Post
    Put on a black UQ and you're styling!
    perhaps, but part of the reasoning behind the silver was so that i wouldn't compleatly lose my rig. the tarp is black as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast