Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Homemade Quilts
    I'm about ready to start the final sewing of my Ray-Way quilt. I'm also making the stuff sack. According to Ray's directions, you are supposed to put the stuff sack in your pack vertically, then stuff the quilt, twist the extension portions of the stuff sack a couple of times, then stuff the extension down inside the bag pulling the drawcord closed. If you need more room in your pack, you can compress the sack more snugly, otherwise let the sack "pillow" out if you don't need the space. The sack should be in the bottom of your pack, sitting on top of heavy food not needed for the day. The stuff sack is sil-nylon. I quote " One does not stuff the quilt into this type of stowbag, then try to jam it into a small backpack." HTH...

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eyewall View Post
    I'm about ready to start the final sewing of my Ray-Way quilt. I'm also making the stuff sack. According to Ray's directions, you are supposed to put the stuff sack in your pack vertically, then stuff the quilt, twist the extension portions of the stuff sack a couple of times, then stuff the extension down inside the bag pulling the drawcord closed. If you need more room in your pack, you can compress the sack more snugly, otherwise let the sack "pillow" out if you don't need the space. The sack should be in the bottom of your pack, sitting on top of heavy food not needed for the day. The stuff sack is sil-nylon. I quote " One does not stuff the quilt into this type of stowbag, then try to jam it into a small backpack." HTH...
    that's right. they have you make the stuff sack extra large so you can leave the quilt as uncompressed as your packing system will allow.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Slowhike, what size pack do you use.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Slowhike, what size pack do you use.
    it's an osprey 60. but this warm season i plan to use something smaller.
    i have a golight trek that i bought on sale & haven't used yet because i've been using the synthetic insulated hammock & that's just too much stuff to get inside the trek.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Before I finished the quilt, I rolled up the insulation and put ikn in the stuff sack. Holy Molie, that would fill up my entire pack. It has to be compressed. This is a disadvatage of using a synthetic fill instead of down. Some have commented on the width being too short. Remember to measure the width by lying on your side with one shoulder off the floor and vertical. When you roll over at night when under a quilt, if it is not wide enough, the side behind your back will lift off the floor, creating an unpleasant draft. Draft stoppers are very helpful in stopping this effect. They also allow you to tuck in the sides and hold them down if yo sleep on your stomach. I think they are very important to any quilt. My quilt is yellow (gold) ontop, black on the underside. Looks nice. When inserting the yarn, use a length of yarn even longer than 24". That way you will not have to keep rethreading the yarn into that small eye of the needle. Pull the yarn all the way through until just the right length is showing, cut the other piece of yarn to length, then move on. The needle is still threaded.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great advice Rambler. Thanks! I'm hoping to get to blackbishop's house soon and finish mine up. I don't have much more to go.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345