I'd like to learn more about fabrics/textiles...

I'd like to learn more about fabrics/textiles, their properties, and established uses. I found a few books at my local library on the subject but was wondering if any of the wonks or DIYers around here had any recommendations? I'm definitely interested in books that delve into the outdoor textile industry, design, industrial standards that have become institutionalized, and newer technologies (post 1970s fabrics).

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Not sure what sources you have available to you... but if you have a full service independent fabric shop within a reasonable distance I might see if some one there could help you out.

You could also contact the major fabric manufacturers and see if they have data sheets on their various products. I would think they do. The easiest resource for those searches might the internet. That kind of technical data can be helpful to commercial buyers. Do NOT expect any of that kind of knowledge from Joannes clerks and the other big box retailers. I doubt very much that any one in the store knows much more than what the label lists as fabric content.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Decent sized shops like Rev mentioned have classes you can take, just in case you thought 'Home Ec' was for the girls and didn't take that option.

Who knew? Though I found it handy to sew buttons back on for a couple of girls I used to work with because I can do survival sewing and they, well, they couldn't afford to be out of their clothes at work, now could they?

Local shop to check for here would be JoAnn's fabric and Michaels. HobbyLobby might be able to get you in touch with someone and some sewing machine shops like to give lessons on how to because your more liable to take one of their machines out for a test drive, that's closer to sold for them.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    Decent sized shops like Rev mentioned have classes you can take, just in case you thought 'Home Ec' was for the girls and didn't take that option.

If you are looking for sewing information or how fabric feels (called the "hand") then Joannes is usually a good place. But for technical information such as tensile strength, weaving variations, polymer contents... they will most likely look at you like you had two heads. They can tell you it's polyester because that's what the bolt label says. Beyond that.... not so much.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Yes, his question is more specific. I read the first line and had someone walk up to the desk. I'd never answer knee jerkishly.

Ok, I did it. read the first line and put the brain in park.

• + New Posts