Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

DIY Hammock stuff sack

I don't know if this is a new idea or not, but I have put a twist on the Blackbishop bag idea. I keep my Whoopieslings and straps permanently attached. I run my adjustable loop end through a sewn loop in the strap, then I just attach it as usual over the MSH. Anyway, since I keep everything together, I wanted a way to segregate the hammock from the straps in case I have tree sap on them. For that I have made a double ended stuff sack with drawstrings on each end.

On one end, I sewed grosgrain across for extra strength and sewed each side together with a small gap in the center just big enough to run my Amsteel loop through. This runs into the storage pocket for one end of my suspension. On the other end, I sewed grosgrain again, but formed a channel through which I run shock cord. The slight compression of the shock cord helps keep the hammock in the main compartment as I am stuffing it back into the bag. I then have a pocket for the suspension on that end. The bag stays attached, and can be used as storage while the hammock is hanging. I have not weighed the bag alone, but it has to be only a few oz. It is made from polyurethane coated ripstop at 22"x24", less than 4 feet of grosgrain, about 4 ft of paracord and two cord locks.

I have made one before without the shock channel, and it worked very well. I hope ya'll like the idea!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Very nice! I like that idea.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    Very nice! I like that idea.

PF
    Thanks PF!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I really like this idea, what would be the advantages or disadvantages of putting that drawstring channel on both ends?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots13 View Post
    I really like this idea, what would be the advantages or disadvantages of putting that drawstring channel on both ends?
    Thanks Boots13!

If you are referring to the channel with the elastic for both ends, I see no problem with doing it that way too. I guess I like the fact that the bag stays locked onto the suspension on that one end. Personal taste.

When I set up the hammock, I hook up the foot end first, which is the end with the elastic, then walk to the other tree with the hammock feeding out as I go. It keeps everything off the ground in case the ground is wet, rocky etc. I have a descender ring incorporated into my suspension that keeps the Amsteel from sliding out of the sewn end of the bag, and it also makes a good drip point if raining too. I like that elastic drawstring channel because it controls how fast my hammock feeds out of the bag instead of just dumping out.

Check out the hammock that goes in the bag here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=53014 Another unusual twist.

I hope you find this useful! If you are just getting into DIY, hang on. It's addictive! Welcome to the forum!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    There are so many great ideas here. I need to add this to my list of projects.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Great idea! If I make one, I think I would do both ends so that I can keep both end suspensions seperate, yet still keep the speed bag set-up theory.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Great idea! If I make one, I think I would do both ends so that I can keep both end suspensions seperate, yet still keep the speed bag set-up theory.
    Nothing wrong with that, DivaB! I just have all of my suspension linked together so I don't forget anything when I break down my setup, so this configuration works for me. Like all DIY stuff, it can be tweaked for every hanger's taste. Thanks for the input.

• + New Posts