WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR

My prusik setup

I've been playing around with the Claytor for a good while now, trying to figure out the best way to hang it without running 6 lines to trees. I never liked the strings that come attached to the net, so I removed them as soon as I got the hammock. Instead, I attached a ridgeline to the tarp with prusiks and where the line runs under the tarp I tied another two prusiks that will hold the net up with small biners. I don't think tarp wear will be a problem because I can leave a little slack in the line under the tarp. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to pitch the tarp tight enough because I thought the prusiks would slip, but after setting it up I think it'll be fine. I still need to do some garden hose testing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbwtt View Post
    I've been playing around with the Claytor for a good while now, trying to figure out the best way to hang it without running 6 lines to trees. I never liked the strings that come attached to the net, so I removed them as soon as I got the hammock. Instead, I attached a ridgeline to the tarp with prusiks and where the line runs under the tarp I tied another two prusiks that will hold the net up with small biners. I don't think tarp wear will be a problem because I can leave a little slack in the line under the tarp. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to pitch the tarp tight enough because I thought the prusiks would slip, but after setting it up I think it'll be fine. I still need to do some garden hose testing.
    I use Prusics to attach my tarp to a ridge line all the time. It's the only method I use for hanging a tarp. Works great for me.

You're a lot braver than I am to hang a hammock over rocks like that.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    I use Prusics to attach my tarp to a ridge line all the time. It's the only method I use for hanging a tarp. Works great for me.

You're a lot braver than I am to hang a hammock over rocks like that.
    It's good to hear I'm on a known path. I'd be upset if this setup proved unsuccessful.

As for the rocks... I took down a few trees before I got into hammocking and am left with few options. I used to hang between the two trees you can see in the photos, but the JH is a little to long for that space. My wife has seen the light and is giving up the ground!!.... she got it in her head and went and ordered an SBpro the other day (behind my back). When it arrives I'll hang her's there and we can figure out the double hammock thing.
    Last edited by miisterwright; 08-09-2008 at 16:32. Reason: typo

Images
    That should work fine if you don't divert water under your tarp... you may want to add a drip line there. Do you have to use your tarp all the time that way?
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    That should work fine if you don't divert water under your tarp... you may want to add a drip line there. Do you have to use your tarp all the time that way?
    With the ridge line under the tarp, I would add drip lines. I run my ridge line above my tarp. I have a tie out loop in the middle of the tarp ridge line of all of my tarps - my JRB 11x10 has one. I always use a micro-carabiner in that loop and clipped to the ridge line. That keeps the tarp ridge line taut and high.

Using the Prusics with a ridge line makes positioning and tightening the tarp extremely easy.
    Last edited by TeeDee; 08-09-2008 at 17:28.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Yes/No..... I would have to have the tarp up to hold the net up. That leaves flipping the hammock over to lounge, throwing one side of the tarp over the other side like I've done in the photo, and if nothing else I'd have to run another line. I don't intend to use the net without the tarp, but if I find that I do want to, I guess I could add some sort off quick release between the tarp and it's prusik knot.

Will the prusik not act as a drip line??????? hmmm...it might not I will certainly check and fix if it doesn't.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    yep....I need drip lines

Images
    yep....I need drip lines
    At least you know and can prepare for it.

Sometimes people test to see if they need them and what they have pass the test... then they get wet when they are out and it rains. Water is sneaky, I've ran extensive test and then got fooled myself. I don't have an answer, just know water is sneaky. It might be a good idea to just go ahead and use a drip line, especially if it is easy to do. I think sometimes the sag of the line has a threshold were a slight change makes the difference... but don't know for sure if that is the joker in the deck.

I've never noticed a problem with the ridgeline on my tarps, but they end at the tarp tie out with a knot that acts like a drip stopper... there is no other path like you have with your slack line to hold your bugnet.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I like this idea. It also could help me with another problem. I have too many tarps (that's not the problem) and I am too cheap to buy figure nines for all of them. Actually it's not the cost of the figure nines, but the cost of shipping them to me. So if I did a single line for all my tarps I could just have the prussik knot with a clip that attatched to my tarp.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    ... Actually it's not the cost of the figure nines, but the cost of shipping them to me...
    Have a Home Depot near you? That's where I buy Fig-9's.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast