Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by enyapjr View Post
    I might try to join you for Friday night (& Saturday morning, too - depending on where my car is parked)...
    PMed MML for 'planned' possible/probable Friday night location on the AFT so I can figure out when/where to start my 'short' version of the hike...
    One night with great trail friends/company is better than none!!

If coming up from behind, I'll be looking for those "MML" trail 'tags' - and if coming from ahead of you and I spot a "7WW", I'll know I've gone too far!

BTW, MML, how much are you going to charge Black Wolf (& G...Hawk?) for the "IHike4U.com" experience? (Photos are 'extra', of course! )
    My plans for Friday night will be at a campsite near mile marker 32.19 or at 32.92 as indicated on the attachment on page 58- (At the bottom of message called-Hike ittenenary.) This will be near the high footbridge that crosses Benner run.
    We are starting the hike as indicated on page 24 of the attachment and will follow that route.
    Tuesday night camp site- Mile 5.62
    Wednesday night camp site-Mile 13.87
    Thursday night camp site- Mile 24.65 ( this is about 3/8 of a mile before the AFT crosses Cassonova road. I was just there the other night and there was a great campsite along six mile run creek there.
    Friday Night campsite--Probably mile 32.92
    This is close to where Benner run and Moshannon creek merge.
    You would take Benner run road up past the **** at blackie and make a right on Huckleberry road.
    Then you would park and hike to the right on the AFT where it crosses.
    You could also drive past that intersection with the AFT where I think Huckleberry road turns into Myers run road.
    There is another unnamed road that turns right off the Myers run road and goes to almost to where we will be camped Friday night.
    On Saturday I was planning on finishing the hike after 10 miles ( ending back at route 504 above Blackie where we started) or--Camping one more night then heading out to 504 Sunday AM. ( my car is suppose to be waiting for me there at the parking lot at 504). My sons are bringing it up to the lot Saturday Afternoon. If we camp Saturday night it will be around mile 39.
    see attached map section ( PDF) of where we will be Friday night. Called- Friday night campsite
    Hike ittenerary starts on 24
    Friday night camp site
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

Thanks for the info...

Thanks, MML!

My 'plan' (if I start early enough) will be to come in from Black Moshannon SP on the Shingle Mill Trail to the AFT then 'West' to Benner Run...
    Alternate (if a 'late' start) will be to park on Benner Run Road and hike down Moose Head Lane & trail to the AFT then 'North' down Benner Run...

If the weather cooperates during the week and I get enough yard work done, I'll see the four of you on Friday! Looking forward to it!!
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

HYOH! (hike/hang your own hike/hang)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

Hammock
    BMBH, hennessey backpacker
    Tarp
    Jacks R Better
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopies

AFT meet up

Hi gang Bob Mac here. I broke free with some time so I decided to meet up with you guys on thurs evening. As per your itinerary I thought I would park at mile 23.25 and walk the almost 2 miles in and hang out and wait for you to show up. I came to a beautiful camp spot that you suggested, (by a little wooden bridge) and set up camp. I got some firewood and made dinner. By the time 7:00 pm rolled around I concluded you were not going to make it. I spent the night in the rain, slept in, made breakfast, packed up my gear and decided I better not hike to the end of the trail for fear of not getting a ride back to my car so I just hiked back to my car and did some cruising around the area, then came home. It is a beautiful area and the trail to match. Wish I had done the whole thing. I've hiked in that area before, on the quehanna and elk trail, also the mid state and link trail. All very nice trails. Hope you guys did all right with the heat and all. Sorry I missed you.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mac View Post
    Hi gang Bob Mac here. I broke free with some time so I decided to meet up with you guys on thurs evening. As per your itinerary I thought I would park at mile 23.25 and walk the almost 2 miles in and hang out and wait for you to show up. I came to a beautiful camp spot that you suggested, (by a little wooden bridge) and set up camp. I got some firewood and made dinner. By the time 7:00 pm rolled around I concluded you were not going to make it. I spent the night in the rain, slept in, made breakfast, packed up my gear and decided I better not hike to the end of the trail for fear of not getting a ride back to my car so I just hiked back to my car and did some cruising around the area, then came home. It is a beautiful area and the trail to match. Wish I had done the whole thing. I've hiked in that area before, on the quehanna and elk trail, also the mid state and link trail. All very nice trails. Hope you guys did all right with the heat and all. Sorry I missed you.
    Hi Bob!! Not exactly sure where you were at. Yes we were at mile marker 23 on the trail Thursday night-We arrived about 4:30 PM at the site. You may have been at another location on that trail as there is no wooden bridges along that section. The site for Thursday evening was 2 miles in from route 504 were it crosses 6 mile run stream. (about 2 miles downstream was our site in the hemlocks).
    Did you park at the little pull off on the hard road by a camp entrance then walk across the route 504 road and climb over the guardrail to hit the trail following downstream? Maybe you were on the upper end of 504 where the Allegheny front trail sign is? That is where we finished Saturday afternoon.
    There is a bridge about two miles in ( the first section of that piece has a few meadows and huckleberry and blueberry galore). Perhaps that is where you were?
    Anyways:
    We all hung one more night after finishing Saturday afternoon camping at Smays Run by moving our cars close to smays run ( Two Tents, Sweetbabyd, Eyapjr, and I) then headed back to civilization mid morning today ( Sunday). Sorry we missed you!! It was a great hike, in fact, it was a fantastic hike and the full report will be posted with pics on the forums under the trip report section.

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    Tarp
    Jacks R Better
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopies

AFT thurs evening

We must be looking at 2 different maps. The map I went by was in post #9 by Gris. It had a link to a map of the AFT called Pahikes.com. Aparently their's either 2 different maps or 2 different trails. In your post #51 is the itinerary I went by. It states thurs evening mile marker 24.65. 3/8 of a mile before casanova road (which doesn't exist on that map), which is where I was. On that map you were at mile marker 37. Oh well, hope you guys and gals had a good time and everybody is safely back home. At least I got to try out some new gear in the rain. Catch you guys at the next one.
    Last edited by Bob Mac; 07-22-2012 at 19:02. Reason: none

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    We must be looking at 2 different maps. The map I went by was in post #9 by Gris. It had a link to a map of the AFT called Pahikes.com. Aparently their's either 2 different maps or 2 different trails. In your post #51 is the itinerary I went by. It states thurs evening mile marker 24.65. 3/8 of a mile before casanova road (which doesn't exist on that map), which is where I was. On that map you were at mile marker 37. Oh well, hope you guys and gals had a good time and everybody is safely back home. At least I got to try out some new gear in the rain. Catch you guys at the next one.
    Wow--We were very very close to each others site-Holy Cow, We were So close to you!!

John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    warbonnet BB 1.1 single layer
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL

bummer!!

Bob Mac, i can't believe we missed you!! what a drag! we were talking about what a cool guy you are. i said i was hoping to do a paddle trip with you - and that you are very knowledgeable. darn!!! it would have been fantastic having you along!!
    Two Tents and i have been discussing doing the 83 mile Sussquehannock trail, Sussqhehannock SF, PA the middle of august - and of course any of our hammock friends are so invited!! hope to see you soon Bob! take care of that awesome Westfalia!

Donna

who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy

Hammock
    Tarp
    Jacks R Better
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopies

susquehannock trail

I'll keep an Eye out for the posts on that hike.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456