Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipsart View Post
    Hello all.

Thanks for the great trip report Bruciehi5 and the great company.
    This overnight trip was a bit different for both of us, We both are solo hikers. This is my first overnight hike with someone else in almost two years. It was great to share the bush (an Aussie slang) with a fellow hammock camper and a Hammock Forum Member to boot.

It's true I do tend to hike at a quick pace, that is till I hit those hilly climbs. The hills tend to sort me out. On the 2nd day I made an effort to slow my pace down considerably and I have to say I got to see so much more, I was still exhausted by the time we reached the vehicles. Think I'll need increase my exercises during the off season.

A great time was had. We both had so much fun, plans are where doing this again in the near future, just across the water from where I live to an area I know very well, been exploring for the past 27 years, First time for Bruciehi5. I hope bruciehi5 likes sand, water and trees, because there's plenty of those where we will be going, as well as the wildlife.

I thought Bruciehi5 was kidding when he said there was a snake on top of that tree, to think I crawled under the tree only a few feet underneath it. At least it was not a poisonous snake and by the looks it was sleeping.

I must set my tarp up in porch mode more often, I was expecting colder weather, so I hunkered down for the night with my Hammock Gear 25F burrow top quilt and Warbonnet under quilt. I had to climb out of my top quilt in the middle of the night, it was so hot. The temps surprised me that night, Considering how cold it was when we met at the start of the walk, It was like a blizzard. I suppose we where way down in the gully on the banks of the river.

That burger was great. I couldn't eat it all. The thing was the size of a cow.
    Those cows we heard in the distance that was spooky. I never heard cows like that before untill last weekend while I was at Mt Walsh near where I live. I heard the same noise, Problem was there was at least 300 of them not far from my camp. Luckily I can sleep through a storm, so the cows did not keep me awake.

Till next time, Bye.
    Hi there Phillipsart! Thanks for adding the written trip report, it adds to the video nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    Very enjoyable, beautiful place. The only thing missing as far as I could tell was me. Perhaps one day when I've nothing better to do, I'll just drop over for a nice hike. Happy hanging.
    Yes, I thought I noticed some empty space, that’s where you should have been walking and hanging. That’s pretty much what Phillipsart did, just dropped by for a hike and hang. Thanks for commenting, old4hats!

Quote Originally Posted by Mwil3 View Post
    Thanks for posting. Looks like you guys had a good time.
    We did have a good time! It’s a fun place to hike, with all the water crossings.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Very nice, thanks for sharing!
    Thanks, nothermark, and thanks for taking the time to comment!

Quote Originally Posted by Groovy View Post
    You two have the making of a very funny duo. Thank's for the chuckles!
    Not bad for two strangers. If we were to hike together a lot, we would have some funny things happen. You’re welcome for the chuckles!

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Coffee and a trip report from down under. Wonderful way to start the day.

Thanks, Bruciehi5 and Phillipsart! Looks like you both had a great time!
    Good thinking, FLRider, the coffee should have kept you a wake till the end of the video. The trip reports here at Hammock Forums are a good way to start the day. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Man did I need this!
    I've been laboring in the garden for 5 hours and came in too nourish and cool off and what do I find--another Brucie masterpiece.
    I think I'll call PhillipStart SpeedyCon or ConSpeedy
    RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT carpet python--a friendly soul BUT sooner or later you will find a Brown or a Tiger OH MY.
    Thanks for taking my mind away from the post hole digger Brucie! and of course thanks for the continued serpent pursuit
    I feel pain, just thinking about digging post holes, poor you! I think you might be right, it is a masterpiece. I think it’s the best “built” video I’ve ever made – shortish to! SpeedyCon sounds good. Oh my indeed! You’'ll see me running away yelling, RED ALERT! RED ALERT! lol You’re welcome for the escape and the snake report. May no rain come your way while you have open post holes!

Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    Thanks for sharing. The more I see of AU, the more I want to swing down for a visit. Snakes are a bit of fun. Watercrossings can offer a nice reprieve from the miles.
    We like having visitors her in AU, so feel free to swing by whenever you can stand the 20 hour flight. Yeah, the snakes add a bit of excitement to the walk. The water and air temperatures were just right for wet feet and creeks. Thanks for commenting, FireInMyBones!

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    A big ol' sleeping "those with no shoulders"!!!!! Nice python.
    Love the "Wait a Whiles"....you fellers down there have some priceless monikers for things.
    So fun to see all those crossings...bet the feet felt good.
    Truly enjoy your repartee. Makes for good video.
    Shuggedy
    Hello, Mr. Shuggedy! I like that, I wrote that down, so I remember to call you Mr. Shuggedy from now on. Shuggedy, shug, shug shug! lol I was thinking, you’ll have to get your name putedd on the front of your new sun hat. Shughatedy. Those hats work good in the rain with a poncho hood over them too. A poncho with a drawstring works best. Done up, it makes the rim of the hat hold its shape. The Wait a Whiles are kinda good fun. Their real name is, Lawyer Vine. It was just the right time of year to do that walk. My feet felt cool and refreshed all day (sounds like a deodorant ad, or something). I like playing with words, you do too, I think. I gave myself a Poetic Licence for Christmas, so now I can break all the wules and she’s apples (it’s ok). Anyway, thanks for commenting and I’m looking forward to part 5 (hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more)!
    Bruciehi5 Videos
    15 Trip Reports
    2 DIYs

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Red Alert.

Your humor is as good as ever BrucirHi5.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Best,
    Blaze

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Another good one Bruciehi5! Funny as always!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    Your humor is as good as ever BrucirHi5.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Best,
    Blaze
    Hello BlazeAway! It’s good to hear that you enjoyed the video! I hope your shed project is still going well!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Another good one Bruciehi5! Funny as always!
    I’m pleased to know that you watched and enjoyed to video, Hawk-eye! Thanks for commenting!
    Bruciehi5 Videos
    15 Trip Reports
    2 DIYs

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    A big ol' sleeping "those with no shoulders"!!!!! Nice python.
    Love the "Wait a Whiles"....you fellers down there have some priceless monikers for things.
    So fun to see all those crossings...bet the feet felt good.
    Truly enjoy your repartee. Makes for good video.
    Shuggedy
    If you love the wait a while, you'll love the stinging trees, stinging trees is one plant we try to avoid at all costs. I can vouch they hurt.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Well, it took a while to catch up on viewing and reading stuff here and there but it was more then worth it! A big thank you to Brucihie5 and Phillipsart!

Good one mates!

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    This forum is a bit like a freeway, it seems to have a peak hour of trip reports. During peak hour, it can be hard to keep up with all the reports! lol You're welcome for the trip report, born2roam!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Well, I just caught up with you two! That is a right rain forest you were wlking in. Youch, I'm glad we don't have that lawyer vine here in the flatlands. That looks like no fun at all!
    Phillipsart - How do you like the GoPro? I was studying their website just yesterday.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    Well, I just caught up with you two! That is a right rain forest you were wlking in. Youch, I'm glad we don't have that lawyer vine here in the flatlands. That looks like no fun at all!
    Phillipsart - How do you like the GoPro? I was studying their website just yesterday.
    Hi jcavenagh. What can I say, I love my GoPro Camera. if I could marry it I would.

Bruciehi5 uses the same camera.

I love the wide angle lens, and the quality is excellent, very saturated colors which I love and very sharp. It's got very good glass. The lens are all glass not plastic. I can get upto 2 and a half hours of recording per battery charge, the battery takes less than two hours to charge with my Solar Panel on a good sunny day. It's light, the camera weighs 188 grams including a tripod mount. It's waterproof.

There are a couple negatives, The lens is not very sharp under water, something to do with the shape of the glass lens on the water proof housing with light reflections giving a soft focus to the underwater footage.
    There is a easy solution to this problem. Aftermarket flat lens attachments are available and GoPro has just in the last few days released a flat lens housing. I chosen what's called a Blurfix flat lens adaptor for my GoPro, the huge advantage with the Blurfix over the GoPro flat lens housing is that I can use a 55mm screw on filter on my GoPro, which allows you to attach a red filter onto the GoPro for diving, giving incredible colour under water, and the under water footage is very sharp, just as sharp out of the water.

The other disadvantage is the sound:
    The gopro is does not do a very good job picking up sound, particularly when it's enclosed inside it's waterproof housing. There are a few solutions to this. First is you can use a external mike plugged into the GoPro, problem with this is you can't use your water proof housing.
    The next solution and I think is the best, Both myself and Bruciehi5 have chosen this method is to use a portable digital sound recorder and record the sound and dub into your video editing software. It's easy to do, and the sound quality is much improved.
    I picked up a Sony ICD-UX512F a few weeks back on sale, (Half Price Sale) it only weighs 59 grams. Has a rechargeable battery and a USB port hidden in the end, flick a switch and the USB port flicks out. I can use my solar panel to charge out in the field. From test's I've done with it thus far, it appears to pick up sound better than what Bruciehi5 uses for his recordings.
    And another cool feature is it's also a FM radio, with the supplied headphones, it's got a antenna built into it. I can pick up any FM radio stations. Battery is a single rechargeable AAA cell with a long life, before it needs recharging. I can get hours and hours of recording with a single battery charge.

Another great benefit of the GoPro Cameras is the ability with all the mounts to attach to any device at any angle. I think it's the ideal camera for us hikers. Takes a great photo as well. The lens is equivalent to a 15mm lens on a standard SLR camera.
    Last edited by Phillipsart; 05-30-2012 at 23:24.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12