Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is wrong with webbing????

I'm bouncing around ideas in my head to simplify a new hammock I'm making and I'm wondering... What's wrong with simply using webbing all the way? Sewing a piece to my hammock with two D rings attached, wrapping a length around the tree then threading the other end thru the d-rings until adjusted perfectly, then tie a knot near the D-rings to secure it from sliding?

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The simply answer, Nothing. Warbonnet uses webbing for one of his suspensions. It just takes up more space and weighs more than whoopie slings. I'd be careful sewing webbing to the hammock body though, you would probably be better off sewing a loop in the end of the webbing and larksheading it on to the bundled end of your hammock.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    MYOG Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    Dangerous said it, It's all about weight. Like myself, I'm a ultralight backpacker, for me webbing would be a death sentence. For someone like my husband, who is not interested in weight but doesn't want a complicated setup, webbing is great for him and whoopie slings are a nightmare. If you never go further than what it takes you to get from your car to your campsite, webbing also would be just fine. There is nothing inherently wrong with any suspension choice. It all just depends on what you're using your hammock for.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Did you take a look at this http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52892 Looks like you would be able to adjust your wrap around the tree.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I prefer rings and straps for ease and speed of setup. I'll occasionally switch to whoopies if weight is important for the trip.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Nothing wrong with webbing, but I would avoid sewing it on the hammock. You might look at webbing and cinch buckles to allow for adjustment.
    The places that I hang often require 6' webbing straps to attach to the whoopie slings. In the greater scheme of things, the difference between carrying two 6' pieces of webbing along with the added fiddle factor and two 14' pieces of webbing with less fiddle factor makes the "whoopie benefit" somewhat marginal for me.
    Whoopies can have intangibles that are not as forgiving as webbing and cinch buckles. The minimum length to deploy whoopies and tree huggers is longer than the minimum length that straps alone can manage. At the same time, your set of tree huggers may be too long or too short for the trees you want to use. Straps avoid that problem. I also prefer webbing and cinch buckles for the times that it is so cold that adjusting a whoopie with your exposed fingers can be a pain to adjusting webbing and buckles while still wearing gloves.

Thank you

Thank you for the feedback, experienced hangers! I will probably go with the simple webbing only for now. Yes, I do plan on looping the hammock with the webbing as opposed to sewing. I'm sure as time goes on and I aquire more hang-time I will trim the weight and change up my suspension and other gear. I love this forum and the feedback. Thank you again!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Coming from a 5lb tent, I'm completely satisfied with my 1-3/4lb hammock with webbing. I like the way it works and don't notice the weight (however I do cut weight in other areas)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20
    Suspension
    Webbing DRings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    Did you take a look at this http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52892 Looks like you would be able to adjust your wrap around the tree.
    wow!! I love this idea, thanks for sharing the video!!
    chetter72
    “Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
    ― John Muir

5x6outdoors.com
    youtube.com/5x6outdoors

Tried out the new hammock setup tonight and have a tremendous amount of stretch. Is it possible that I bought a cheap grade of poly webbing? As a newbie this is my first round with silnylon and 1" poly webbing. I also tried the "whipped end" method for the hammock ends. The whipping is holding, but not certain that I trust it for an all nighter as the fabric is so slick. I'll check back for advice, gonna read more posts for DIY hammocks.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast