Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

down jacket

part of my sleep system is my clothing,so it is hammock legal to talk about it
    i just odered this down jacket from cabela's neo

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...cket&noImage=0

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    part of my sleep system is my clothing,so it is hammock legal to talk about it
    i just odered this down jacket from cabela's neo

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...cket&noImage=0
    if it is anything like this vest it should be great,i ordered this vest last year for 20 bucks and it is awesome neo

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...vest&noImage=0

Images
    I too have a down jacket and like to use my clothing as part of my sleep system. But, wont down compress under you in your hammock and not be much insulation if you wear it to sleep? Kind of like a sleeping bag in the hammock as opposed to a top quilt? BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    I too have a down jacket and like to use my clothing as part of my sleep system. But, wont down compress under you in your hammock and not be much insulation if you wear it to sleep? Kind of like a sleeping bag in the hammock as opposed to a top quilt? BD
    Sure, but if you're carrying it anyway why not get what insulation you can out of it? I think the quilt idea is not to CARRY any more insulation than you can actually USE, but if you're already toting the weight....
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    good point. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post

I just recently remembered to experiment with an old Patagonia down vest that I have. Because what has occurred to me is that, assuming that if I decide to take this very light item as a part of my warm clothing, it should serve particularly well for putting into the undercover of the Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter. In other words, it's so light that it shouldn't have any tendency to pull the undercover down away from the underpad. So that should be a good example of dual use items -- wear until bedtime for camp warmth or when you get up for morning for camp warmth, and at night have it tucked underneath the hammock for insulation. My experiment so far show that it is not being compressed by my body weight, which is exactly how the undercover is supposed to work. This vest is about 4 inches of total loft when it is it closed! That is potentially a huge amount of added warmth underneath me. Of course, if I wear it to bed in my sleeping bag it would just be smashed flat underneath me and a zero benefit on the bottom.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-02-2007 at 16:45.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Of course, if I wear it to bed in my sleeping bag it would just be smashed flat underneath me and a zero benefit on the bottom.
    You could also lay it on top of you, under your top quilt...that way you'd also be making full use of the insulation, but on the top instead of the bottom.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    sounds like you would get the fullest loft from the vest that way billybob, but i do like to use sleep in my warm jacket too.
    i know that the part you're laying on is compressed, but when you are wearing it, it is giving you it's full insulative benefit right next to your body all the way around the arms & body on all but the very bottom, and stays next to you all the way to the point of compression underneath.
    plus... it sure is nice when you get up to go to the bathroom & it makes those occasional drafts that find their way in, less noticeable<G>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    The thing is, I don't really need more warmth on top, SO FAR. I've always been plenty warm on the ground, on a pad an in a bag. The only surprise came when I decided to start hanging out, exposing my bottom side to apparently unlimited amounts of breezy, cold air! And it appears that by placing this 3 to 4" thick vest in the undercover of the HHSS, it doesn't suffer any significant compression when I lay down. Or, avg. 2" loft if I lave it unzipped and cover a larger area. That's a whole bunch of extra insulation to add to the henessy underpad and space blanket! For very little wt. which I am carrying anyway.

Of course, if I do get cold on top, arranging that vest on top of me sounds like a toasty solution, better than wearing it and losing the bottom loft. On the other hand, there is always that consideration of having something on if you have to get up in the middle of the night!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-03-2007 at 10:05.

Hammock
    HH ULBP with Mod#2
    Tarp
    8x10 Sil
    Insulation
    Nest or HHSS
    The jrb nest works great under the hhss setup this way no compression and no moister problems.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast