DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst

Got another super sized hammock done.

I made this today, for my mom for mothers day. Yes, it's late due to some unforeseen issues, but she will be thrilled non-the-less.

It's 11' x 90" wide. Gathered/folded ends, lashed. No sewing the gathered end on these wide hammocks, as it makes the sides too high. With proper folding, like a fan, they work out great.

I did Pipsissewa TED style bugnet, and I'm very pleased with it and think it will be easy for her to handle. Speaking of handle. My friend, Dweller7, makes all of my amsteel needs and adjustable ridgelines. This time he added a long chainlink so that I can add a handle from the ridgeline which she can use to help herself sit up. My back can no longer handle pulling her out every morning.

I really, really like the TED and think that this is what I'll end up adding to my own hammmock too. I've held off adding a bugnet to my pink hammock because I kept going back and forth with a few different styles, but I really think this style is a winner. Thank you Pipsissewa!!

Just like my first hammock, this one and the organza was all purchased from http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/default.asp

So I've had a short break from all the DIY http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52163 and now back at it I don't think it ever ends. With all of the DIY, I also don't think my house will ever look like it used too
    Last edited by DivaB; 05-18-2012 at 09:13. Reason: Sorry for the wrong link...it's fixed now.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Opps....pictures or it didn't happen

The color she picked was Champagne. The pictures don't serve it justice, the color is actually very pretty.

First one is how it looks just hanging. Second is of son showing the TED bugnet, final picture is of someone in the hammock. It looks like it's stretching the organza in the picture, but it's really not and there is actually room under it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY 12x5 Gathered Channel
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    DIY 7x4 Karo Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That's so big! It looks lovely :-D

What is the advantage/reasoning of having a hammock that's wider than you're tall? It seems like anything wider than you're laying is just extra material, but maybe not?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleRabbit View Post
    That's so big! It looks lovely :-D

What is the advantage/reasoning of having a hammock that's wider than you're tall? It seems like anything wider than you're laying is just extra material, but maybe not?
    Well, I'm 5'11'' so for me it's just great. Mom is only like 5'3" so we'll see. If she needs it cut down, than I'll do it for her. But, as for my hammock, which is also 90" wide, but a foot longer, it is just ubber comfortable and no searching for the sweet spot. I can flip flop on either side with ease. My Eno DN will be a loaner now, that is how happy I am with the wider, longer hammock.

I have a 11' x 90'' piece of this stuff and thanks for the heads up on not sewing the ends into a channel. One other thing you could help with, how wide were the folds as you folded for the whipping? Thanks again.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Very nice work as usual.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    I have a 11' x 90'' piece of this stuff and thanks for the heads up on not sewing the ends into a channel. One other thing you could help with, how wide were the folds as you folded for the whipping? Thanks again.
    Approximately 1.5 inch each fold. The first folds on the outside go down, as in towards the ground (which seems unnatural, but just trust me, it works out) I fold one side half way down the fabric, and then the other side to meet them up. I used my husbands clamps that I found in the garage because my giant paper clamps wouldn't hold the material without sliding. Then lash it, snug, but not permanent yet. Go through each fold and line them up evenly, now lash it tightly, and add one of those heavy duty zip ties right below it, pull, pull, pull super tight with the pliers, snip off the left over plasic.

Presto, you have a hammock

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    ...I did Pipsissewa TED style bugnet, and I'm very pleased with it and think it will be easy for her to handle. Speaking of handle. My friend, Dweller7, makes all of my amsteel needs and adjustable ridgelines. This time he added a long chainlink so that I can add a handle from the ridgeline which she can use to help herself sit up. My back can no longer handle pulling her out every morning.

I really, really like the TED and think that this is what I'll end up adding to my own hammmock too. I've held off adding a bugnet to my pink hammock because I kept going back and forth with a few different styles, but I really think this style is a winner. Thank you Pipsissewa!!
    I'm so pleased you like it, D!

Do you mean to tell me that you really have to help your mom get up in the morning? Does she have back problems? Does a hammock help? I'm interested because I always wanted to get my mom in a hammock to help her back, but was afraid to... .

Maybe I missed the picture, but I'd love to see your PINK hammock! Your mom's champagne hammock is really nice looking! Thanks for posting, sweetie!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    I'm so pleased you like it, D!

Do you mean to tell me that you really have to help your mom get up in the morning? Does she have back problems? Does a hammock help? I'm interested because I always wanted to get my mom in a hammock to help her back, but was afraid to... .

Maybe I missed the picture, but I'd love to see your PINK hammock! Your mom's champagne hammock is really nice looking! Thanks for posting, sweetie!
    No back problems, but her hips bother her. She's 66, short, and stubby. Not a good combination in a hammock. She's also doesn't want her nails broke by grabbing the side of the hammock What can I say? But....she does like hammock camping and other than getting out of the hammock. She does a great job for someone who is a spoiled camper and cabin camper.

Pink hammock is here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52163 Not the best pictures since it's in the attic, but it's nice. I'll be making the bugnet for it probably today.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Pink hammock is here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52163 Not the best pictures since it's in the attic, but it's nice. I'll be making the bugnet for it probably today.
    Oh, yeah! I saw that! I even posted in that thread! DOH! My brain is a sieve! Well done, D!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast