Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Well, I have to say that the members of this forum turned me off hammocking so much that I sold my hennesey and gave up on the whole hammock religion. You can't get any information here except how hammocks are the cats meow and tents are for the stupid. That kind of partisanship ... well I'm happy in my tent now instead of struggling with the drawbacks of a hammock.

I have to say that I am considering a warbonett, but hesitate because the learning curve and drawbacks to stealth camping on my bicycle trips where I've found a major problem hanging with an eye towards max stealth. Sometimes a hamock hang just can't have the versatility a tent can in term of hiding well. But mostly I'm dismayed by the zealot attitude here. Sorry ... but that is how it is for some people who haven't drunk the cool-aid, but simply want unbiased answers.

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 Ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Spike
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    You can't get any information here except how hammocks are the cats meow
    Yep. Thats why these are the hammock forums!

I've rarely seen people bashing tent-goers, maybe showing the pros over tenting, but would you expect anything else?

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    First there's the snickers. Then, one by one, they all come over to check it out. I usually give them a test ride,and they are blown away. Gotta be carefule though. There are only so many trees in a given area.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Many years ago I accepted the fact that I am not like most people. Their reactions don't figure large in my life and I just enjoy myself.
    Amen!

When I explain hammocking to other people, must find it unusual, but can understand its advantages over a tent. I even mentioned to some old friends that I camp in a hammock and they didn't find that strange.

I do receive some fear from my mother who insists that I am going to be eaten by a large python just by being in the wilds of Florida. But, believes that sleeping in a hammock gets me away from the snakes. Ironically, she made me a pair of snake skins as a sign of acceptance.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I was hooked after five minutes in a friend's hammock and bought one for camping. After the first night and not having a sore back in the morning, the wheels were turning...how can I do this at home?? (mission accomplished)
    When I met my boyfriend last year and told him I slept in a hammock, he kinda gave me a funny look...til he tried it. Next thing you know his was in the mail. The first camping trip, I had to wake him up at almost noon. This from a guy who's usually up at six. Now he's devising ways to hang one at home too...
    Debi

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    DIY Ring Buckle
    Well, I have to say that the members of this forum turned me off hammocking so much that I sold my hennesey and gave up on the whole hammock religion. You can't get any information here except how hammocks are the cats meow and tents are for the stupid. That kind of partisanship ... well I'm happy in my tent now instead of struggling with the drawbacks of a hammock.

I have to say that I am considering a warbonett, but hesitate because the learning curve and drawbacks to stealth camping on my bicycle trips where I've found a major problem hanging with an eye towards max stealth. Sometimes a hamock hang just can't have the versatility a tent can in term of hiding well. But mostly I'm dismayed by the zealot attitude here. Sorry ... but that is how it is for some people who haven't drunk the cool-aid, but simply want unbiased answers.
    Gonna be hard to find on here, just because the vast majority of members enjoy tent camping over hanging. That's why most people join in the first place. This is, after all, the Hammock Forums, not the "Hammock" subsection of a camping forum, if you get what I'm saying.

As for the learning curve, in my opinion, if you don't think something is worth it, don't do it. I'll be sticking with my simple ring buckles and webbing, just because I don't like the idea of whoopie slings. I'll never be half the hammock enthusiast as someone like Shug, just because that's not who I am (and I lack the time and $$). Hey, to each his own. And that's the great part about these forums in my opinion.
    I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work...
    I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."
    And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.
    -From the Auburn Creed, by George Petrie, 1945

Hammock
    HH Explorer deluxe & WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG 0° Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies or ropes

I am not quite sure if it is irony or not… ?¿?

but

"You can't get any information here": sure, only thousands of pages of threads filled with accurate and incredibly detailed information on even the more obscure sub-subject, provided by friendly passionate knowledgeable members.

I could go on and on about the stealthiness and the learning curve but this is not the place. Start new threads with questions and I am sure you'll get tons of unbiased answers.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    I'm thinking that they're thinking that they would rather be sleeping in a house on a bed than in a hammock out in the woods. Or! they would rather be shopping at the mall.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Being "younger" I guess, at the age of 25, where most my friends still get their kicks from partying, they think it, and I, are incredibly lame, haha. But I don't mind, I love it and always will.

Hammock
    DIY Gear Supply pattern
    Tarp
    8x10 Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & slings
    When I mentioned making a hammock, several people made comments about tying knots. It wasn't until much later that I realized they were picturing a net-style hammock, and not talking about suspensions.

I've also learned to refer to my diy underquilt as a "sleeping bag for my hammock". Apparently, it's cool to make your own sleeping bag, but I get weird looks when I talk about working on my quilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast