Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    DIY Ring Buckle

What do non-hammockers think?

Just curious as to what everyone's non-hammocking friends think about our hobby. Personally, I am part of the college-kid-Eno-hammock fad, and a few of my friends and I purchased one. I, however am the only one of my peers who have taken it to the level of modification, DIY, and frequently overnighting outdoors in it. Therefore, my family (in the kindest way possible) thinks I'm turning into a bush hippie minimalist. But hey, haters gonna hate (did I really just say that?). Regular camping isn't very popular where I live, so some people don't really understand all the time and effort I put into my hammock. But I love it nonetheless and it's fun.

So the question isn't about how you came to this hobby, but how city folk respond when you try to explain why you use a "whoopie sling" as opposed to a "ring buckle" suspension, etc.
    Last edited by Banjo_Bro; 05-17-2012 at 20:21.
    I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work...
    I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."
    And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.
    -From the Auburn Creed, by George Petrie, 1945

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I always find people's initial reactions are funny. They always say "you sleep in a hammock in winter?" They associate the hammock with the back yard and don't have any concept of insulation or tarp protection. If I said I went camping in the winter in my tent the wouldn't be as surprised because although I said "tent" they know there are at least sleeping bags involved and that it is enclosed. Once I explain it to them, they understand it and even are interested in it because so many have had the bad experiences of sleeping on the ground.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I gave a presentation on camping hammocks last month to the Carteret County Wildlife Cub (I am a member). At 58, I am one of the younger members. Had a BB with a TQ and UQ set up and one person was brave enough to try it out.

Here is the write up in the news letter....
    April Meeting . “Bear tacos” or. “bear fortune cookies”–that’s the difference between hammock campers and tent campers. Greg Wheat strongly advocates being a “taco.” He told us about the joys of hammock camping – the light weight, comfort, warmth, and sky-watching attributes. With a tarp, top quilt, and under-quilt, the sleeper stays warm and dry in any weather. Those of us preferring the luxury of a six-man tent weren’t convinced but conceded that hammocks might compare favorably with back-packing tents.
    While I did not convert anyone to the dark side, I at least got them to look outside the box (or is that a tent)
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    DIY Ring Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I gave a presentation on camping hammocks last month to the Carteret County Wildlife Cub (I am a member). At 58, I am one of the younger members. Had a BB with a TQ and UQ set up and one person was brave enough to try it out.

Here is the write up in the news letter....

While I did not convert anyone to the dark side, I at least got them to look outside the box (or is that a tent)
    Haha, I can get a great picture of the crowd you were speaking to...the kind of people who have purchased the same toothpaste brand since 1953...
    I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work...
    I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."
    And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    My in-laws are endlessly amused, and explain "hangs" and my hobby to others in pretty much the same way they would explain a family member who bites the heads off of chickens for fun and profit.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    My hanging just reinforces the preciption of my non hanging friends and families that 'yeah he's crazy'.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    For the most part....that's why most of us are here. We got tired or felt guilty of all the weird looks, or lack of understanding/interest, so we came to HF.

Here, what we can't seem to make others understand, or bores our family and friends to tears, at HF there are people busting to let you know about the same things that happened to them and everything else you can't talk to people in real life about.

Welcome and Enjoy!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    DIY Ring Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    For the most part....that's why most of us are here. We got tired or felt guilty of all the weird looks, or lack of understanding/interest, so we came to HF.

Here, what we can't seem to make others understand, or bores our family and friends to tears, at HF there are people busting to let you know about the same things that happened to them and everything else you can't talk to people in real life about.

Welcome and Enjoy!
    Ha, that's the truth, for people like me anyway. +1

Quote Originally Posted by Shug
    Compared to other hobbies of mine....hammocks are sedate.
    They are always curious....."do enjoy sleep that much"? ..... "but your all alone".........
    Hey....they golf and fish.
    Shug
    Golf, I'll pass. But I still enjoy a good fishing trip.

Hammock
    Treedscape BigPaw
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Treedscape BigHeat
    Suspension
    Straps + Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    My hanging just reinforces the preciption of my non hanging friends and families that 'yeah he's crazy'.
    Shhh... As long as they think you're crazy, they leave you the best trees to hang in!
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" - Elbert Hubbard

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    For whatever reason, most people I run into, just don't get it. Some though are very interested and ask lots of questions. My extended family and step daughters think I'm crazy....which is probably not a bad thing when I think about it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast