Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    Congrats on your first post thematt! Thanks for the link too. It looks like these can be bought for less than I paid piecemeal from Harbor Freight. Are you planning on building your own Magna Hammock?
    I was actually thinking that I don't like velcro and don't trust zippers so I plan to make a winter tarp with magnets to hold the doors closed (and possibly attached) and was also playing with the idea of magnets on bug netting with matching magnets on the inside of the tarp to keep the bug netting off my pretty face. So here I was seeing if anyone else has done these things and I found your thread on the Magna Hammock, so yes, now I plan to make one.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by petez View Post
    Thank you for the generous reply.
    It IS starting to make sense now
    Good. Here are some pics of the foot end configuration in both positions. I used some zing-it scraps to make loops to go into each side of the buckle to keep the pull as even as possible. They attach to an s-biner that is hooked to the shock cord.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346850053.565355.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346850089.299284.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346850105.010558.jpg

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    If you need a cheap source of rare earth magnets then go get a few broken hard drives from a computer shop. They usually throw them in the dumpster. Yes, the EPA doesn't like this but many shops are too lazy. The magnets inside are usually 1/32" thick and 1 1/2 " long by 1/2" wide. Place one of these on your refrigerator and you have to slide it off the edge to remove it. Takes only a few minutes to open a drive and retrieve the magnets. I just use a No. 1 phillips head to remove the small torx screws. See the pictures below. The things with the red dots are the magnets. I've yet to see the magnet glued to it's plate - it's so strong it stays in place nicely.

Do not place these magnets near (within 3 feet) anything you don't want wiped. I've seen people put them in their pockets and find that all their credit/bank cards were wiped clean. They have a pretty big magnetic field.

Take a small file and make a notch and then you can break them up into smaller pieces.

Please don't treat them as toys - you can ruin somebody's whole day and then some with these magnets. I keep some on the fridge to securely wipe old credit cards and as a super duper note holder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    If you need a cheap source of rare earth magnets then go get a few broken hard drives from a computer shop. They usually throw them in the dumpster. Yes, the EPA doesn't like this but many shops are too lazy. The magnets inside are usually 1/32" thick and 1 1/2 " long by 1/2" wide. Place one of these on your refrigerator and you have to slide it off the edge to remove it. Takes only a few minutes to open a drive and retrieve the magnets. I just use a No. 1 phillips head to remove the small torx screws. See the pictures below. The things with the red dots are the magnets. I've yet to see the magnet glued to it's plate - it's so strong it stays in place nicely.

Do not place these magnets near (within 3 feet) anything you don't want wiped. I've seen people put them in their pockets and find that all their credit/bank cards were wiped clean. They have a pretty big magnetic field.

Take a small file and make a notch and then you can break them up into smaller pieces.

Please don't treat them as toys - you can ruin somebody's whole day and then some with these magnets. I keep some on the fridge to securely wipe old credit cards and as a super duper note holder.
    Thanks for that tip & warning! I had struck up a conversation with a guy as I was leaving Harbor Freight with a load of magnets a while back, and he told me this as well. He even had one in his car and gave it to me. It was very strong as you say. I just didn't know how to safely break one up as you described. That would be a cheap source, & it wouldn't take many of those to make a stack of small ones. I keep my wallet outside the hammock when I get in to be on the safe side.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Your welcome Hiknhanger. The top of the hard drive usual has 6-7 screws - take these off and you'll see the magnets in the corner of the casing. 2 or 3 screws hold them in. Takes a few minutes. Once you do one the others are easy.

To get the magnet off the base plate - just use the blade from a box cutter or anything thin and work it between the magnet and the plate and pry it off - be careful not to stab or cut yourself!. As I said , some are glued on and some are not. The ones I have were not and just needed some persuasion to get off.

When I ride around the neighborhoods on my bike, I usually see 2 or 3 computers by the road waiting for trash pick-up. I come back with my car and haul them away.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

interesting magnets

I found this magnetic calculator online, and it is great for figuring out strengths of magnets.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp?calcType=disc

And, just for a guess - timate, I decided I should order some of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180915088496...84.m1423.l2649

They may be too strong?? and then I worry about them clamping so hard they wear holes in the hammock
    but then they need to be strong enough to hold things together.

I have a lot of HF magnets, and they do not seem strong enough to me, and I don't know how to compare them to these

So I ordered 2 sets of these strong little guys (200 magnets) for $11.90 with free shipping. They will take a while because they come from China,
    but, for less than 6 cents a magnet, it is worth the wait

PeterZ
    PoleHangin everywhere

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I hope those work well Pete. Sounds like you got enough!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Field report for Magna Hammock. I took it to Stone Mountain State Park in NC. It worked great with my poncho liner & sunshade. I am able to get it adjusted on the diagonal while I am in the hammock. I have also sewn on a triangle of fabric to keep the sleeping bag from creeping over the edge over night since I can't do the Knotty mod. I have the top of the triangle sewn with a loop of grosgrain and attached to a length of shock cord that runs to the ridge line. It seems to work great.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    This is a really great idea. especially love the ability to have different bottom layers. or suspending an UQ by just the magnets. I was thinking of constructing a new hammock soon. may have to try this with my own spin on it. hmmmm

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barbermike View Post
    This is a really great idea. especially love the ability to have different bottom layers. or suspending an UQ by just the magnets. I was thinking of constructing a new hammock soon. may have to try this with my own spin on it. hmmmm
    Thanks barbermike! I look forward to seeing your version. The ends do most of the heavy lifting with the magnets keeping the edges sealed in my version, but I guess with a light enough under quilt & strong enough magnets, you might be able to suspend the quilt by magnets alone. Good luck with it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast