Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oper8or View Post
    This is some great work! You did a fantastic job on this hammock. I hope you will allow others to use your idea on this. I would never copy without asking first. The fact that it is a year round hammock is great! I'm assuming you can remove the bottom layer for summer time, if someone preferred to do so.
    Thanks Oper8tor. Please help yourself and play with the design! You are right. The lower layer comes off in a second if you don't want it. Since that layer is multi-purposed as a poncho, I am thinking I would keep it packed by itself for easy access in case the weather turns for the worse while hiking. I would keep the ends cinched up while packed, then spread them out if I have to wear it.

Hammock
    GTSBP
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, MSH
    clever. magnets...who woulda thunk it. Inspired to break out the old sewing machine now. Thanks!

underquilt idea

This is on sale today!
    http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bat...4/product.html
    Any size blanket with 550 FP. Seems like a good deal to me. What do you think?
    Cut up a King and have several you could layer. Not much sewing to do, just the edges. I would sew the edge where you are going to cut before cutting. Guess everybody knows that though.
    PoleHangin everywhere

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Tot a bad idea for an economical UQ. Machine washable too. Cotton may not be the ideal covering, but it still works.

Images
    Rare Earth magnets are awesome aren't they. I have a bunch in different sizes I used to make a leather knife sheath a quick draw. My first one I used to many and couldn't get the knife out! The 2'' ones, man, I let them get about 10'' from each other, and smacked together so hard they shattered.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Here are some more pics of the Magna- Hammock with my 6 year old. See how I have the lower layer pushed to one side for airflow in the heat. I was able to slide it over like that while still in the hammock. There is a photo of each side. The bug net is a version of the TED by Pipsissewa. I am really liking that design. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345080348.869145.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1345080304.034019.jpg

I am really luvin this design.
    I am definitely going to upgrade my ENO Doublenest with magnets and a tablecloth.

Thank you for a great idea
    PoleHangin everywhere

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Thanks Petez!

magnets

Hmm. Very interesting! I own a Skeeter Beater and bought a second regular GT hammock (on sale) to make an under-layer, because, as HeathC commented in another thread, in central Alabama, the net is great, but the "blood vultures" have no problem getting to you through a single layer of fabric. I had about decided to sew snaps to connect the two layers, leaving space between for insulation or just a "no-bug zone." I also figured in an emergency, I could stuff the space with pine straw or leaves for insulation if necessary. Your use of sliding channels and/or grosgrain tabs sounds like a much more flexible setup for adjusting the spacing. I have already ordered some elastic cord to hold the edges of the lower hammock against the upper one, and the snaps were to add support. I think it would be a lot easier to let magnets find each other than to try to find matching snaps in the dark. I might just try this. I appreciate you sharing how you did it, and also appreciate being able to blame you for "requiring" me to make another trip to Hobby Lobby for magnets.
    (Life is hard.)

Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Rare Earth magnets are awesome aren't they. I have a bunch in different sizes I used to make a leather knife sheath a quick draw. My first one I used to many and couldn't get the knife out! The 2'' ones, man, I let them get about 10'' from each other, and smacked together so hard they shattered.
    This is why children MUST NOT be able to get ahold of these. They can get badly pinched, and if swallowed, the magnets cling together and can pinch off important things. They are awesome though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast