Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alacaledonia View Post
    Hmm. Very interesting! I own a Skeeter Beater and bought a second regular GT hammock (on sale) to make an under-layer, because, as HeathC commented in another thread, in central Alabama, the net is great, but the "blood vultures" have no problem getting to you through a single layer of fabric. I had about decided to sew snaps to connect the two layers, leaving space between for insulation or just a "no-bug zone." I also figured in an emergency, I could stuff the space with pine straw or leaves for insulation if necessary. Your use of sliding channels and/or grosgrain tabs sounds like a much more flexible setup for adjusting the spacing. I have already ordered some elastic cord to hold the edges of the lower hammock against the upper one, and the snaps were to add support. I think it would be a lot easier to let magnets find each other than to try to find matching snaps in the dark. I might just try this. I appreciate you sharing how you did it, and also appreciate being able to blame you for "requiring" me to make another trip to Hobby Lobby for magnets.
    (Life is hard.)
    I hope the design works well for you. I am glad to share. Sorry for the extra trip to Hobby Lobby! I have used snaps for some parts of my setup such as my top cap on the TED bugnet, but you are right, I would not want to try to match them all up in the dark at 3 am! Those little magnetic buggers find each other really well. My daughter likes to get in it and have me seal her up like a banana in its skin! I'm a little too wide to pull that off. The magnet spacing is really a judgment call, so I didn't get really specific with those details.

One tweak I did was replace the shock cord in the channels of the lower layer with some gutted 550 paracord. I then put small side release buckles like you see on paracord survival bracelets on each end of that cordage. It makes the adjustment much easier and I can work around my ridgeline easily. When I have it tight, the collar of the lower layer rides above my ridgeline attachment point, if I need some slack for insulation, I unclip the buckle, slide it down past my ridgeline and clip it back together over the hammock body. I also have a loop of shock cord that runs through the collar on the foot end, and up to my descender rings on my suspension. This keeps the movable end from just sliding down too freely and leaving a big gap between the layers. I hope that makes sense. I will try to post some pics when life gives me a moment!

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I love an innovative use of materials. Great idea, and really has my mind going!

Now who's going to be the first to use strong magnets for backyard hammock suspension? Maybe electromagnets so it can be easily taken down...

Or even better, a magna-lev hammock requiring no trees or stand!? Hehe.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Davigilante View Post
    I love an innovative use of materials. Great idea, and really has my mind going!

Now who's going to be the first to use strong magnets for backyard hammock suspension? Maybe electromagnets so it can be easily taken down...

Or even better, a magna-lev hammock requiring no trees or stand!? Hehe.
    Thanks!

I have tried the electromagnet in my back yard for suspension, but it pulled all of the nails out of my deck nearby!

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    Thanks!

I have tried the electromagnet in my back yard for suspension, but it pulled all of the nails out of my deck nearby!
    What did you use, a spare MRI machine you had lying around? That must have been a strong magnet!

Imagine trying to explain a nail stuck in you to the ER doc, "Well, I was fiddling with my hammock suspension when..."
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Davigilante View Post
    What did you use, a spare MRI machine you had lying around? That must have been a strong magnet!

Imagine trying to explain a nail stuck in you to the ER doc, "Well, I was fiddling with my hammock suspension when..."
    What's the Seinfeld quote? "Doc, you're not gonna believe this..."

Great idea on Mag-Lev.
    My daughter works in an MRI lab and she got home early because the machine broke! Soooo... maybe I can get the broke machine's magnet for cheap and rig something up
    I doubt they would just throw it out and have dumpsters crashing together and crashing into cars out in the parking lot, he he.
    Sure will be a trip driving it home with a trailer.
    Last edited by petez; 08-23-2012 at 14:08. Reason: spelling
    PoleHangin everywhere

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Guardian bug net
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by petez View Post
    Great idea on Mag-Lev.
    My daughter works in an MRI lab and she got home early because the machine broke! Soooo... maybe I can get the broke machine's magnet for cheap and rig something up
    I doubt they would just throw it out and have dumpsters crashing together and crashing into cars out in the parking lot, he he.
    Sure will be a trip driving it home with a trailer.
    You may want to check with the Florida State University High Energy Magnetic Field Lab. They have a magnet about the size of a 3 bedroom house surrounding a chamber about a liter in volume. Several years ago they were able to generate a field of sufficient strength to "levitate" a frog (200g. +/-) [1]. Perhaps the technology has improved since then to be of a more practical, portable size with sufficient output to support a human.

[1] No word on if the frog survived the experiment.
    If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Maybe the frog just jumped? They've been known to do that. Hehe.

Seriously, the RE magnet idea it a great simple solution. It's Jonny Ive-like in its simple brilliance - form and function together.

Giving the magnets room to have some play and not have to be perfectly aligned is, to me, the best part of this concept.

This is the kind of innovation that attracts me to the hammock community!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Thanks Dave. I hoped others would be"attracted" to the design. I sure would like to know when and if someone does their adaptation of the concept.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast