Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Insulation
    Self-inflating pad
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Just finished a Magna UQP/Poncho from some spare rip stop I had. I didn't have any sil, so I made my own coating using the instructions from the 'make your own sil' thread. I even made a detachable magna hood that attaches to the magnets on the head hole for when its in UQP mode.

I'll let the sil cure and give it a test. Hopefully its waterproof enough for a poncho. If not it should still work well enough for an UQP.

Now I just need to convert my hammock to use magnets, but that's a project for tomorrow.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Cool! Looking forward to pictures of the finished product!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Hammock magnetism!

I just finished a new lower layer made from silnylon. Gonna love the weight savings and packability I can already tell. Has anyone else tried making one if these yet? I had some folks who seemed like they were warming up their thread injectors but never heard any more.

Fairly new to hanging, read through the thread and love your idea. Thinking of giving it a try when i can scrape together the cash for all the pieces. Have one question on the magnet polarity though. Did you specifically align all your magnets or do they have enough room in their pockets to flip as needed?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Hammock magnetism!

Quote Originally Posted by baxterm2002 View Post
    Fairly new to hanging, read through the thread and love your idea. Thinking of giving it a try when i can scrape together the cash for all the pieces. Have one question on the magnet polarity though. Did you specifically align all your magnets or do they have enough room in their pockets to flip as needed?
    There is plenty of room for the magnets to flip as needed.

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    Got a chance to see the Magna-Hammock deployed at the Uwharrie Nat Forest Hang. Can't say enough about how sweet HH's design turned out- easy to slide a pad in, the magnets ARE superlight, as light as a 1/2" washer I'd say, they find each other easily to snap back together, just very cool and very nicely constructed! Rare earth is the way to go with the magnets- way to go, HiknHanger.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Hammock magnetism!

Quote Originally Posted by berksound View Post
    Got a chance to see the Magna-Hammock deployed at the Uwharrie Nat Forest Hang. Can't say enough about how sweet HH's design turned out- easy to slide a pad in, the magnets ARE superlight, as light as a 1/2" washer I'd say, they find each other easily to snap back together, just very cool and very nicely constructed! Rare earth is the way to go with the magnets- way to go, HiknHanger.
    Thanks for the glowing endorsement!

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    hey brother how awesome did that magna-hammock uq cover/hoodless poncho thing workout? i know this is kinda old, but i wanna do something similar with some sil for an rainguard type thing and if those tiny magnets don't cause too much wear i'm gunna go for it.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I think it went well. I got some silnylon and made another one, but haven't taken the time to make the head hole. I never used it in the rain, but know it would work great. The magnets have not shown one bit of wear at all. I'd say go for it. Thanks for looking at my old thread! Send some pics of your final product!

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    the more stuff i discover here, the more you guys have already ironed out all my 'new' ideas a long time ago lol. how much wiggle room did you give each magnet in the under-piece? how many on each side? just loop the shock cord around before the cordlcok to cinch it down and keep it around the CLs? i'll post pictures if i ever get around to it, you better believe it!!
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast