Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Hammock magnetism!

Hey everyone. I have designed a double layer hammock that has totally separate layers. The gathered end of the lower layer forms a 'collar' that wraps around the Amsteel continuous loop for the suspension. Shock cord runs through the lower layer channel and is held tight with a cord lock. Excess cord is tied off to the Amsteel to keep tension on the ends. The lower layer can move as needed to accommodate a sleeping bag or other type of insulation thick or thin.

This is probably not a new concept, but I tried something I think might be a little different. I used rare earth magnets sewn into the rolled hems to keep the layer edges together to prevent drafts. It seems like it will work well. I put an old down bag I chopped up into an UQ on it and it lost no loft at all.

The lower layer is also polyurethane coated rip stop. I will be cutting in a neck hole soon to double purpose it as a poncho. Hope this makes sense. I have included a few pics taken with my iPhone. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337311607.066523.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1337311635.812684.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1337311659.722954.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1337311726.995182.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1337311760.863679.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1337311797.180976.jpg

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    Love it. Great job.

Hammock
    Treehugger Double
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Well that's an interesting idea.....looks good.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    Love it. Great job.
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmorton View Post
    Well that's an interesting idea.....looks good.
    Thanks everyone. I think I am going to be really happy with this setup!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Magnets? Now I won't be able to pack my DOS floppy disks with my hammock anymore!

Intrigued by what you're doing but not quite understanding it from the description and photos. More info please.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Yes, more info please! We've talked about magnets before, but---as far as I can recall---you're the first to go so far as getting rare earth magnets and actually doing it.

You could make different "under-hammocks" ("magna-hammocks??!?!?") for different applications. You could make one out of organza for an ultra-lite under quilt hugger. Or one out of sil-nylon as a lighter weather shield than your PU coated one.

LVE IT!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Magnets? Now I won't be able to pack my DOS floppy disks with my hammock anymore!

Intrigued by what you're doing but not quite understanding it from the description and photos. More info please.
    I basically made two separate gathered end hammocks. The inner layer has my Whoopiesling suspension attached. The 2nd layer has no suspension, but has 1/8 shock cord running through the end channel. I wrap the shock cord around the Amsteel coming out of layer 1, and then slip both ends of the shock into a cord lock to keep the gathered end tight around the Amsteel. If needed, I can release the cord lock a little and the collar or donut if you will formed by the lower layer can even slip down around the end of the hammock itself if extra clearance is needed for insulation. (Ever seen natural childbirth?)You could even pile a bunch of duff in there if in a pinch. My shock cord is as long as the lower layer is wide since I can stretch the ends back out and use it in poncho mode. The loose end of the shock gets tied through my Amsteel loop to keep the donut from freely sliding down slack during the night.

As you can see from the pics, the magnets I used are tiny but very strong. I sewed a magnet every 9 inches into the outer layer with 1" of side to side movement available, and centered those on the inner layer magnet pockets that have a 3" amount of play. Thus the outer layer can slide a few inches as needed for space and the edges stay together very well. If you get hot at night during warmer months, pull them apart and let the lower layer sag open for ventilation. I hope that helps explain it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hiknhanger; 05-18-2012 at 19:03.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Yes, more info please! We've talked about magnets before, but---as far as I can recall---you're the first to go so far as getting rare earth magnets and actually doing it.

You could make different "under-hammocks" ("magna-hammocks??!?!?") for different applications. You could make one out of organza for an ultra-lite under quilt hugger. Or one out of sil-nylon as a lighter weather shield than your PU coated one.

LVE IT!!!
    Thanks Pips! I love your ideas too! I went with PU because of budget more than anything. This could be made very lightweight by people with less butt and more budget than me! I think it really does open up a lot of possibilities to swap out those layers according to need. I think condensation management while using waterproof materials would be relatively easy since it is not really "sealed" per se.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Great job thinking outside of the box!! Nice to know you incorporated the magnet idea. It's been brought up several times, but I don't recall seeing where they were actually used.

Good multi purpose gear!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I added a few more pics in post #7. I hope that helps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast