DIY 12x5 Gathered Channel
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    DIY 7x4 Karo Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

FS: Down UQ. Full-sized. Homemade.

Hallo! This is an UQ I made for my bicycle touring...unfortunately, after making it, I discovered that I am allergic to down! So I'm making a synthetic one and selling this.

Pictures: see below!

Moneys: $70 + shipping from Seattle, WA. Paypal preferred or cash if you're local.

Facts:
    - 48" x 80" [4' x 6'8"]. I'm 5'10". Easily wraps around me and covers both feet and head.
    - rusty brown color
    - ripstop material recycled from a tent
    - 100% goose down recycled from pillows
    - 3-5" loft
    - karo sew-through quilt style so you can massage the down around inside if you need more in an area
    - unfortunately I don't have a scale. It feels very light to me. I wish I didn't have to go synthetic!
    - all four sides have shock cord channels. The suspension is one long loop that goes along both long sides with a quick-lock pully to tighten it up. I just looped each end around the gathered ends of my hammock and that held it up nicely. In each shorter end is a line of shock cord that you can either use to bunch it together, or loop it around the hammock to pull it tightly around. Lots of versatility here!

I took this out on a night that was supposed to be 55 degrees, but turned out to be 35. So all I had was this underneath me, nothing but a sheet of ripstop over me, jeans and a fleece top. I was chilly, but only from above the next night it was 45 and I was comfortable in the same setup. My guess is that with a proper setup, sleepingbag or TQ, this would take someone comfortably below freezing.

The not-so-good: after sewing this, I discovered that this is NOT downproof fabric and the sew-through design lets little bits of fluff out. It isn't so bad though that you'll be "losing down." So this is functional and nice in many ways, but not the most perfect thing ever. Yet, for an occasional hanger, or for someone who just wants a cheap UQ that packs tiny, weighs very little, and is very warm, this is a great option

It includes the stuff sack that has easily enough extra room inside for your hammock and suspension. I squeezed my whole setup into it. The stuff sack has a reinforced hole I put in the bottom so it can sit on the suspension line like a snake skin and can be packed or hung while in the air without touching the ground.

That's it! Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by SimpleRabbit; 05-18-2012 at 00:58.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Ok I'll bite!

Tell me how bad is the down leaking from this thing? Does down come flying out if you shake it. Do you see tufts each time you unpack it? Would you dare putting it in a dryer to fluff? I just need to judge what type of service life I can expect.

Will you take $75 straight-up delivered to my door? If so I'm in.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    second dibs

Hammock
    Thunderbird11ft DL
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    20 UGQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    if still avalible I will take it!!
    Psalm 50:1 The Mighty One, God, the Lord, speaks and calls the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.
    Old Dominion Hangers: Secretary
    First Annual Powhatan Hang and Work - April 17-19, 2015

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I'm still awaiting a response. Lets keep in mind that it's only 7a on the west coast. I'm glad others are interested cause I was afraid that $75 for a leaky down UQ was a waste of money. I don't feel like quite the fool for making an offer now
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    AaronAlso has dibs if the offer is accepted.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    DIY 7x4 Karo Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    PM sent to AaronAlso. sgeary28, dammfast, and nulisticONE in line

As for the down, you can kindof see in the third picture what it looks like. Some spots its slightly worse, some spots slightly better. It'll always be there, but doesn't go flying out all over the place when you shake it - I machine washed and ran it through two dry cycles just fine. It isn't to the point where I'd be worried about having an empty blanket in a year and a house full of down, but to the point where you'll have little bits of down clinging to it and the underside of your hammock. Think...shorter haired shedding cat, not a lot of fur, but you might want to lint roll the couch when guests come over but that's why it's not a $200 UQ.

I think it will last a bit - my plan was to sleep in it just about every night for the next 6 months on the road, until I wound up allergic to it! It isn't a "tank" [as much as an UQ could be described as that] but I think it would have lasted the trip and more.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    DIY 7x4 Karo Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sold! Thanks everyone for your interest

• + New Posts