Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    My resistance is weak. I held out as long as I could but I couldn't take it anymore. I pulled the trigger this morning. I doubt I'll have it before I leave for the AT over Memorial Day but it'll be a good present when I get back.
    You might have it! I ordered mine about 4 PM yesterday, and I got an e-mail at 1038 this morning that it had shipped. Good luck!

So you hope to take it on the AT Memorial Day? How do you plan to insulate it?

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just got home to a shipping notice waiting for me!

I'm not sure about taking it. I'll have to give it a couple of nights in the backyard before I decide. If I turn into jello like others have I'll be hard-pressed to leave it behind.

My thought is to use my Jarbridge since it's rectangular. I'm not sure how well the Incubator will fit it. If I do the JB then I figure I'll use a small pad for my feet.

That's my concern with taking it. I won't have much time to dial it in before I head north on Sun. Right now it's scheduled for Wed delivery. Normally that would be perfect since I'm free but this week my son has an event I have to attend. That just leaves a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Yup.... Those of you paying attention noted that we did not close for Trail Days
    Paying attention costs extra.

Thanks for getting it out the door! Based on what I'm reading I can hardly wait!
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge UL
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRBShenado& MtWash
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Yup.... Those of you paying attention noted that we did not close for Trail Days... The JRB wharehouse and shipping department stayed open and kept up our "Same or Next Day" shipping standard while we were personally off enjoying everyone at TD.

The BMBH UL cited above are enroute...Enjoy!

pan
    Pan
    Got my shipping notice today and the fine folks at USPS are suggesting a 2-day delivery. Not sure I'll be worth much at work Wednesday and certainly know what I'll be doing Wednesday night. I'm excited to see if my experience matches others that have talked about how great the BMBH UL lies. I've enjoyed my HH but have not been consistent at getting rid of the calf pressure. The BMBH UL should address it with ease. I already have 2 friends on the waiting list to check it out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Its a great hammock so comfy and to be honest I kinda regret telling Little Legs (my wife) that I bought it for her knowing she liked bridges but after I got a night sleep in it I want one for my self . Ill make sure I bring it to the fall MAHA for you to check out Happy Camper.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just finished the best night of hammock camping EVER at Pipesteam State Park in WV during the annual meeting of the Great Eastern Trail. I swear by the comfort of my BMBH with the pad inserted into the sleeve. The pad holds the shape of the bottom of the hammock and thus eliminates any shoulder squeeze. Temp was around 50F and I was soooo comfortable on my side, on my back or any way I wanted to lay. If you have not tried the BMBH with the pad inside, you are truly missing a wonder of the outdoors.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Alas, I've never carried a pad and can't bring myself to do it now. Excellent report, though!
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcount View Post
    Just finished the best night of hammock camping EVER at Pipesteam State Park in WV during the annual meeting of the Great Eastern Trail. I swear by the comfort of my BMBH with the pad inserted into the sleeve. The pad holds the shape of the bottom of the hammock and thus eliminates any shoulder squeeze. Temp was around 50F and I was soooo comfortable on my side, on my back or any way I wanted to lay. If you have not tried the BMBH with the pad inside, you are truly missing a wonder of the outdoors.
    Oh Yeah, I'm always going on about the all time best hammock for use with a pad- IMHO and based on the many hammocks I have tried. I have ordered a UL, and am excited to try it, but I do hate to give up that option, even though I have plenty of UQs.

I have experimented with lounging for a short while with full length 20" wide CCF pads and 25" wide TR Camprest models. And have always found that far more usable than with my other hammocks. But I have only slept through the night during the warmer months using a torso sized piece of WM blue pad. Which worked fine.

But have you used your BMBH either with nothing or with an UQ? If so, how does that compare with your pad comfort wise, any dif? I know the shoulder situation is actually improved with the pad. But other than that, how does the comfort of pad vs no pad compare?

Here is the funny part: I also feel that the JRB BMBH/MWUQ combo is the best and easiest to set up and most consistent hammock/UQ combo that I have tried. I simply have not been able to figure out a way to go wrong with adjustment, and there is never any worry about any adjustment change during the night, or having the quilt slip off or sag or me move off of the quilt. This is all virtually impossible. Ditto having some sort of gap or draft or leak develop, it just does not happen for me. So, all of that is probably why I have never bothered with a pad. Except on nights when I am sleeping with nothing, and I realize about 0400 my back is cold, then I slip that torso sized blue pad in there, problem solved.

So there are reasons not to use this hammock and choose a gathered instead. But pad use, quilt use or leg/hip or waist(when on my side) dis-comfort is not on that list.

Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

BA Pad will never be far away

Billy Bob,

I have tried the BMBH with just the MWUQ and no pad. Did not like it almost to the point that I was upset with my purchase of the BMBH. However, once I slid the Big Agnes pad in the insert (I have the insulated pad), the whole comfort thing changed for me.

My set up now consists of the BA pad, my sleeping bag and NO UQ. I have a Marmot Never Winter 30 down bag that I lay in the hammock unzipped. I enter the hammock like normal and lay in the bag as if I were on the ground, normal zip up stuff and all. I have used this set up down to 25F and had to vent my bag. Keep in mind I do wear a set of wool thermals at this temp.

My thought process is that with the BA pad, I have options should I decide to stay in a shelter (very slim chance I know) or if I need it in my BMBH. The pad packs down smaller than the UQ and only weighs an extra 2 ounces. Small price to pay for the comfort inside the hammock and staying off the ground. I see no reason to have another piece of down equipment (the UQ on the outside) that could get wet and loose its insulating value and take time to dry out. Instead, I have the BA pad that shapes the hammock, eliminates the shoulder squeeze, provides a barrier between the outside of the hammock and the bottom of my sleeping bag should blowing rain get to the outside of the hammock and to boot, gives me options in a smaller package.

With the sleeping bag, I do not even feel any cold spots on the shoulders as the sides are not pressing in to compress that area. Just lay in you bag as normal.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hit the motherlode tonight! Came home to find a new BMBH UL, some Dutch accessories, Packit Gourmet food, and a spool of Lash IT! Unfortunately I had an event for my son tonight so we'll have to setup the UL after work tomorrow. :-( Unless I feel ill in the morning. ;-)

ETA: Here's a PSA...

If you go to the pool wear sunscreen. I thought I'd be ok for 45 min. Gads. I'm sunburned front and back. We'll see how comfortable I am in the hammock tonight.
    Last edited by JaxHiker; 05-24-2012 at 20:41.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    Ordered one yesturday morning and have yet to receive any shipping info! JRB are closed Fri-Sun which means it might not ship till Monday!?!? UGH!!!!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12