Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    JaneG

newbie seeking hammock for cycle-touring

Hi everyone. I am trying to figure out what hammock to get for cycle-touring--I needed a new tent but then decided a hammock might be better, since I find them comfortable--so I thought I'd try this Hammock Forums thing, but I'm finding it a bit overwhelming. Most of it seems directed at people who already know a lot. Which makes sense, but is there somewhere on HF where those of us who don't know all the lingo, and don't know all the reasons why we might need x, y or z, and don't know how it all works, can get some guidance? And recommendations *with explanations* of why this thing is better for that circumstance?

Here's what I'm looking for. I'm 5'4" and likely to remain under 130 pounds for the foreseeable future so weight limits are not an issue for me. Weight of the hammock & related gear matters, but it doesn't have to be ridiculously super-light either--it will be in the panniers, not on my back. (My bike is steel, not titanium--I'm not paying a lot more to shave off an ounce here or there.) I don't think I need to lay especially flat, as I've slept in various kinds of hammocks without discomfort. My experiences doing cycle-touring in tents in the northeast included some encounters with voracious mosquitos, so I'm disinclined to skip the bugnet. I'm NOT likely to be cycle-touring in weather below 50 degrees (60s daytime, 50 at night). I love the DIY concept but don't really want to get into sewing--no time for that, I just want to ride and camp. I don't have to get the cheapest hammock there is, but I'm not eager to spend a lot more than I need to. I won't buy anything at WalMart (we don't even have one in NYC but if we did, I wouldn't shop there).

I already bought (on sale) JRB Jacks 'R' Better Hammock End Straps & Tri-Glides Set. I already have one of those blue foam sleeping pads, and what has been an acceptable sleeping bag for summer tent camping--one side is like a sheet, the other side is warmer. I also have a REALLY old (pre-1960) down/cotton double-sleeping bag (my parents used it for camping before I was born) which I have been debating what to do about (it kind of needs cleaning and some repairs to the stitching, and I'm not really up for that, but don't want to waste valuable down... suggestions welcome).

And I have some questions (sorry if this is the wrong place for them, since I think I'm supposed to just introduce myself here):

I'm guessing that hammock camping requires more stuff for warmth (heavier sleeping bag, under-quilt, etc.) than tent camping. How much more and what will I need for a nighttime low temp of 50? (I hate trying to sleep while feeling cold--even a little bit cold!)

I saw someone mention that some campsites don't let you hang stuff from trees. How common is that at state park campsites in the northeast? Anyone know?

I think I had more questions but it's late, I'm tired and I forgot them.

I look forward to a barrage of hammock-geek knowledge in response to this, but please try to keep it accessible to this ignorant novice. Thanks!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Welcome. We all start somewhere. After 2 years, I'm still learning from the hang masters here. You will pick up things as you go. Dont worry. Get "The Ultimate Hang" book by Derek Hansen and it will help you understand the lingo and concepts without haveing to spend a great deal of time searching.

I think a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 SL or double if you want to use a pad is a great way to start. Has a bug net, comes with suspenion and straps. All you need is a tarp and you are good. You can get Underquilts later if the pad works for you. I dont like pads and I find UQ (underquilts) and TQ (top quilts) very comfortable. A sleeping bag will work fine too for the TQ.

Send some time here ask questions and you will get the answers you seek.

Good luck and happy hanging,

S

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    tothewoods.net is a great website with easy to read sections like "how to stay warm" and "how to stay dry."

There are LOADS of hammock makers out there- since you've got a decent suspension system you don't need to worry about that- a lot of the cheaper vendors seem to ignore this, or have bad straps that stretch too much, like the ENO. (however a popular hammock!)

The basic setup:
    you need the hammock, and a way to hang it from the trees.
    You need a tarp to stay dry and a bug net to stay sane.
    You need a way to stay warm on top (sleeping bag/ top quilt[TQ]) and warm on the bottom (a pad, or Under Quilt [UQ])

That's it!

So you have a way to hang it, most likely a sleeping bag already that will work as a Top Quilt and a pad. If you have a pad, you don't need an UQ, you might want to try a SPE (the wings on this project http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearSPEZipper.html) or a wider pad. http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm

After you get those things sorted, then you get into other stuff,
    like a way to store your stuff, like snake skins (tubes of fabric) or a black bishop sack (JRB sells a 'speed sack') (a stuff sack with a hole in the bottom for your suspension, tie one end to the tree and then walk out the hammock without it touching the ground. http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearBlackbishopSack.html )
    ways to store your stuff when you're in the hammock (ridegline organisers, peak bags...)

Ridgelines to keep your hang the same each time you hang it (and to keep your bugnet off your face)...

and loads more.

Hope this helps!

TH
    Last edited by titanium_hiker; 05-19-2012 at 03:06.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Hello, JaneG,

I’m very excited for you, getting into hammock hanging and all! You are making a perfect decision! When I bike & hang I use a 24 litre Camelbak pack, the Rim Runner. Having the luggage weight on you and not on the bike makes for a much easier ride. Try a test mix of both pack and panniers and see what you think.

It’s just a matter of time before someone suggests it, so I may as well do it... As far as getting a good start with the lingo, and everything else to do with hammocking, the best place to start is with a cup of your favorite something and a fun filled YouTube session:

Hammock Hangin' How-To PART 1... Essentials For Noobs Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

I’m a BIG fan of JRB. I’ve bought about $3000 of stuff from them and it’s all good. As far as warmth goes, have a look at the JRB quilt comparison chart. I’ve found that the temperatures they rate their quilts to go down to are pretty right. Oh and I HATE to sleep cold too. It’s one of thoughs things that when you do it in a hammock, you’ll do whatever it takes to not do it again. That’s why I've got 4 JRB quilts. Don’t waste your money on a Hennessy three session weather shield it’s no good!

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Quilt%20Comparison%20Chart.htm

If you can, test, test, test! If you can hang the hammock you end up getting at home, or in a place that is close to your car, do it on a cold night, so you can test the limits of your set up and go inside, or in your car and home, if what you’ve got fails the cold test. It’s very nice to know before you go on a trip that your set up will keep you warm with the expected night temps.

I’ve got four hammocks. I agree with Sidewinder, the Blackbird is a good place to start and hopefully finish. Be warned, The service at Warbonnet is often very slow. You might have to wait 6 weeks for your hammock to be posted. Like most would agree, it’s worth the wait. I’d call the Blackbird a good all rounder. If you’ve got the $, the WarBonnet Edge tarp is a good all rounder too. Get the detachable doors.

If you buy from Warbonnet, e-mail them and ask what the shipping date would be for whatever it is that you want to order. If the web site says “in Stock” it might not be, so it’s best to ask and know what you’re in for, as far as wait time goes. If you plan on hanging in a lot of rain, the Super Fly is the way to go, but it’s a bit bigger and a bit heavier. I’ve got both and I’ve got the Diamond tarp too, which is good for no rain to just a bit of a shower. Don’t get a tarp from JRB. They are good, I’ve got the JRB 11* 10 tarp, but Warbonnet tarps are better in this case (I hate to say).

Start off with your blue pad, to keep the costs down, but plan to get top and bottom quilts. If you’re going to be comfortable in a hammock, you may as well be REALLY comfortable! Quilts are the way to go for ultimate hanging comfort.

If you ever order anything from JRB, get yourself a DriDucks™ poncho with the JRB Weather Shield modification applied by JRB. It will add an extra 5 degree Celsius = 41 degree Fahrenheit to your quilts bottom operating temp.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DriDucksPoncho.htm

Anyway, JaneG, Spend some time here at Hammock Forums searching through the threads. It’s worth taking the time to gain a good hanging knowledge. You will be more comfortable and warmer while hanging and spend less money if you do.

P.S. I took about ten test hands in my backyard to get my Blackbird dialled in, so I slept well. So expect to do some fiddling. I slept very well straight away in my Hennessy Ultra Light (the first hammock I bought).
    Bruciehi5 Videos
    15 Trip Reports
    2 DIYs

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Welcome JaneG and kuddos for your interest about integrating cycle touring with hammocking. You can definately put together a workable kit that takes up a small volume of pack/pannier space for those temp ranges and the folks here will be more than helpful.

I would offer every encouragement because I've long wanted to bridge my love of road cycling with my hammock hiking. If you look around this forum for Medicineman, he has posted some recent trip reports w/videos about cycle touring in the Smokies. I just keep wishing there were more written about it out on the net but alas.

Good luck,

David

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Looks like you already been given some great links that will sure to get you the information your looking for. We tend to take our passion to extremes, so don't over think it, and watch for information over load.

Welcome to the forums, from Ohio.

JaneG
    Thanks everyone! Titanium: thanks for breaking it down! That's helpful. Brucie: I have a bit of experience on the bike and panniers are definitely better than a pack for me--less pressure on my body, especially on the back, and ahem, in the seating area. (I also commute by bike and use my panniers every day.) I have no car, so camping is just me and the bike and whatever I can carry on it. Bannerstone: weird that not many cyclists use hammocks, is there some reason for that do you think? also "more than helpful" yes, I'm sort of anticipating that already... Diva, thanks for the welcome--I'm glad to see another woman here! (We seem a bit outnumbered...?)

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    We are 'outnumbered' in the outdoors, but there is a healthy female population on the boards- FrolickingWithDinos, TurtleLady, Pip, DivaB, and more!

glad I could break it down for you.

Another thought- on re-reading it and noticing we're quite similar in size and not liking the cold, I thought I'd mention that yes, I like my winter warm quilt very much. Best advice is to try at home first and see if you get cold and need to add something.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I bicycle tour.

If you are attached to sleeping bags, and in consideration of your size: Get a summer-weight down sleeping bag you put under and over the hammock. Why? Compressibiltiy.

Find a tarp,your shelter, that is smaller than most here use. 8' by 5' is plenty. Like the smallest Clark, much disrespected, and maybe available here from a member You don't need more height or width. Beware hammocks that folks love that are so large they need a larger tarp to protect the hammock from rain. At least until you find that you value that 10' hammock for its comfort. At 5'7" I've found 8' hammocks plenty large. The preceeding all in respect of your size and bike camping and size constraints. Bulk matters more to cyclists than to hikers: wind resistance at speed.

For day rides into possible night and stealth camping in summer I pack a Nano 7 in back pocket. No net yet for; that would double the size. I look forward to trying a Clark UL, an 8' netted hammock.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Welcome Jane from an occasional tourer.

I myself do have weight concerns, so I have a Warbonnet Black Bird 1.7 double, but at your size a 1.1 would be quite appropriate. I gather from your feelings about voracious mozzies that most of your cmping will be in temperate temps, so there is no need to pop for an UQ at this time IMO.Since you already have a foam pad you could integrate it nicely between the bottom layers. And WBBBs are reasonably priced. And compact. And if the skeeters are not buzzing you can unzip the net and throw it over the ridgeline.

I cannot speak for state parks in teh NE, but in the mid-atlantic states I have had no problem hanging hammocks in national forests, Corps of Engineers campgrounds, and all state parks except Maryland. They are not yet enlightened in that state, but with a foam pad and a light Tyvek dropcloth you could go to ground.

Best of luck! BTW, I am picking up an ICE trike this week, and will be heading out on the Greenbrier River Trail (WV) for a shakedown overnight in June. With a hammock, of course.

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast