Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    TwoIsles is another female (hard to tell by some of the trail names), but it'll be awhile before she's back to posting here. She is doing a thru hike on the AT and doing a great job at too...not a young pup either. There is LDCakes and Gumbo too, along with many more. We're here, but like I said, it's just hard to tell sometimes by the names. We're far and few, but pretty darn mighty in our own right.
    Last edited by DivaB; 05-20-2012 at 09:54.

JaneG

which option for my first hammock setup?

OK, thanks again everyone (and especially the mighty women of HF). Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread for this, but I was so overwhelmed by everything outside this thread (after browsing through it and getting a lot of info) that I decided to keep it here.

Here's what I'm thinking for my first hammock setup--feedback welcome. Since I'm already set for straps (JRB), pad (if I decide to use it) & sleeping bag(s), I'm focusing just on hammock, tarp/rainfly & bugnet. I've looked through a bunch of the stuff recommended here and elsewhere on HF, and narrowed it down to these two economical options:

ENO singlenest - $55 - 18oz
    ENO bugnet - $55 - 16oz
    Golite poncho/tarp $45 - 7oz (quite a bit lighter & cheaper than ENO tarps, and seems more versatile--but temporarily out of stock! aargh.)
    Total: 41oz/$155 (plus shipping from 2 separate companies, if and when Golite tarp is back in stock)

*OR*

HH Scout zip (includes bugnet & rainfly)
    52.5oz/$100 (plus $15 shipping)

So, do I save $50+ and carry an extra 11.5 oz in my panniers? Seems like a reasonable trade-off. Plus HH includes a bunch of extras, like snakeskins, for free. For that reason and for the sake of speed/simplicity (esp. given the out of stock issue with Golite) I'm leaning toward option 2... because, after all, my goal here is not to discuss hammocks but to actually get out there and camp in one.

Anything I'm not considering here? Pitfalls I haven't seen? Foolish mistakes I'm about to make?

Thanks!

P.S. I also looked at the Hammock Bliss stuff - not inclined to go with the "mosquito-free" hammock (bugnet only covering the open area) because the mosquitos I've met camping in the northeast wouldn't hesitate to bite me right through several layers of fabric (unless there's something I don't understand about hammock fabric). The Hammock Bliss mosquito net cocoon looks nice but is 1oz heavier and $8 more expensive than the ENO bugnet, and would require ordering from yet another company with separate shipping.

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I will not try to answer your post here. Welcome and search for your answers. If you'd like a specific question answered, PM anyone. All are helpful.

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneG View Post
    OK, thanks again everyone (and especially the mighty women of HF). Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread for this, but I was so overwhelmed by everything outside this thread (after browsing through it and getting a lot of info) that I decided to keep it here.

Here's what I'm thinking for my first hammock setup--feedback welcome. Since I'm already set for straps (JRB), pad (if I decide to use it) & sleeping bag(s), I'm focusing just on hammock, tarp/rainfly & bugnet. I've looked through a bunch of the stuff recommended here and elsewhere on HF, and narrowed it down to these two economical options:

ENO singlenest - $55 - 18oz
    ENO bugnet - $55 - 16oz
    Golite poncho/tarp $45 - 7oz (quite a bit lighter & cheaper than ENO tarps, and seems more versatile--but temporarily out of stock! aargh.)
    Total: 41oz/$155 (plus shipping from 2 separate companies, if and when Golite tarp is back in stock)

*OR*

HH Scout zip (includes bugnet & rainfly)
    52.5oz/$100 (plus $15 shipping)

So, do I save $50+ and carry an extra 11.5 oz in my panniers? Seems like a reasonable trade-off. Plus HH includes a bunch of extras, like snakeskins, for free. For that reason and for the sake of speed/simplicity (esp. given the out of stock issue with Golite) I'm leaning toward option 2... because, after all, my goal here is not to discuss hammocks but to actually get out there and camp in one.

Anything I'm not considering here? Pitfalls I haven't seen? Foolish mistakes I'm about to make?

Thanks!

P.S. I also looked at the Hammock Bliss stuff - not inclined to go with the "mosquito-free" hammock (bugnet only covering the open area) because the mosquitos I've met camping in the northeast wouldn't hesitate to bite me right through several layers of fabric (unless there's something I don't understand about hammock fabric). The Hammock Bliss mosquito net cocoon looks nice but is 1oz heavier and $8 more expensive than the ENO bugnet, and would require ordering from yet another company with separate shipping.
    For 100.00 u can't go wrong with a HH Scout. MAKE SURE TO GET THE ZIP!

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    the HH Scout (HH= Hennessy Hammock) is a good first hammock.

Obviously there are others out there, but the fact that you get a tarp, skins etc as well is a bonus.

Now, lots of people just skin their tarp so they can keep the potentially wet tarp away from the hammock- but the hennessy method works fine (might need a chamois to dry your tarp on the inside) just roll it up to stop bunching in the middle.

Try asking in the DIY forum for advice on changing it over to the JRB straps.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Don't take this question wrong...but I can help you better if I know some facts first. What is your height and weight? Perhaps that's already been mentioned...it wouldn't be the first time I've missed something. Singlenests are not the most comfortable for some. Is there any way you can make it to a group hang in your area? Even if your still a ground dweller, it's a good place to try different hammocks, see different set-ups, ask questions and get answers. That would be the next best logical move before spending on something that you may not like.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    (DivaB- first line, second paragraph: )
    Here's what I'm looking for. I'm 5'4" and likely to remain under 130 pounds for the foreseeable future so weight limits are not an issue for me. Weight of the hammock & related gear matters, but it doesn't have to be ridiculously super-light either--it will be in the panniers, not on my back.
    You've already bought straps, so you could buy an Eno (etc), but then you also need to get a tarp. There are lots of hammock vendors out there (see the vendor section of this forum for starters) and Eno and HH are probably the most 'well known' outside of the hammocking world, but there are others.

Great advice on getting to see other hammocks first.

Hey Jane, in regard to the 'overwhelming' bit- remember you are totally allowed to post lots of threads and ask lots of questions- if you're looking for info on, say, hanging along a planned route, ask a question in the Trip Reports/Planning forum. Question about bug nets? Ask in the suspension/bugnet forum. Lots of people are willing to jump in and give specific explanations to specific questions.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Hi jane welcome. I'm 5'3" 110lbs and use either a grand trunk. I believe that's 11 oz before adding suspension. Traveler 1.1 single layer hammock from warbonnet outdoors in the 10oz range with no suspension. The wbbb single layer comes in at 18oz with whoopie sling suspension for me. Then you have buttinasling.com with lightweight hammocks & bugnet.

Each hammock has a different fit for me. Each person will find a different level of comfort. So IMO there's no mistakes.
    Good luck!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishpig View Post
    I will not try to answer your post here. Welcome and search for your answers. If you'd like a specific question answered, PM anyone. All are helpful.
    Thanks for the PM and I enjoyed chatting with you...but don't ever hesitate to post your questions, it's an open forum and everyone learns from the Q&A that come across here, noobs and us older ones alike. It's a continual circle of acknowledge that helps us grow.

Of course most of us will answer to PM's too Either way, it's all good.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome from MN!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast