Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

napping and lounging vs a good night sleep

I am just wondering if there are any other hangers out there like me. I bought an ENO doublenest with hammock stand to put in my spare room. I did this wanting to see how much I liked hammocks prior to spending an arm and a leg on a clark NX-200. Here are the results.
    I love to lounge, watch tv, read, and rest in my hammock. Every now and then I will take a nap in it. I find hammocks pretty darn comfortable but... I find that both in bed and in a hammock for some reason I move around a lot. Its not that I'm uncomfortable I just like to move and flop around. Although this is possible in a hammock and a non-event in bed I find while napping I never sleep very good cuz every few minutes I try to roll or reposition something. Because its harder to do in a hammock I basically wake up muscle myself into another position and try to fall asleep prior to moving again. I find this perfect for napping because I dont sleep very well or very long so it more or less turns into a few minute power nap. Because of this I have never tried to sleep in it at night because I am scared I wont get a wink of sleep and will be dead tired in the morning. I love hammocks and the idea of using them for camping is awesome. I like to talk and learn about them which is why I'm a member here. I'm just wondering if I am the only one here who uses a hammock to lounge in for its main purpose vs. a good nights rest

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I used to toss and turn a lot as well. A lot of fresh air, exercise and being really tired help a lot. If that doesn't work, a Tylenol PM (w/benadryl) stops me cold if there is any question of not sleeping. I only have troubles when testing new equipment, until I find the sweet spot. I find that learning to sleep in a hammock helped me with my restless sleeping in a normal bed.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

You are not alone...

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    I am just wondering if there are any other hangers out there like me. ...snip... I find hammocks pretty darn comfortable but... I find that both in bed and in a hammock for some reason I move around a lot.
    I have a similar issue - toss and turn all night, even in my HH. I read with envy all the posts of people who don't move all night long in their hammock.

I got my HH in March, and since then I've spent 40+ nights in it. In July, I spent 4 nights/week hammock camping.

To make matters worse I use a mummy bag, not a top quilt, so every time I move if I'm zipped up the bag has to roll with me.

I've gotten accustomed to it finally. I find in the hammock I will wake up momentarily, roll over, and immediately go back to sleep (normally...) In the morning it *seems" like I've been awake a lot since I wake up every time I roll over, but the awake periods are brief enough that I actually get a very good night's sleep and get up in the morning feeling refreshed.

My advice would be to try it for a few nights in your backyard. Don't get yourself in a lather worrying you won't sleep, because then you definitely will not. In your backyard you can bail in the middle of the night and crawl into your bed if you get too frustrated. I found having this "escape valve" to be helpful, spending about 10 nights in my backyard before my first night in the field in my HH. (I found I never had to bail out).

With a little persistence, you *will* adapt!

--Kurt

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I used to toss and turn a lot as well. A lot of fresh air, exercise and being really tired help a lot. If that doesn't work, a Tylenol PM (w/benadryl) stops me cold if there is any question of not sleeping. I only have troubles when testing new equipment, until I find the sweet spot. I find that learning to sleep in a hammock helped me with my restless sleeping in a normal bed.
    That would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    I have a similar issue - toss and turn all night, even in my HH. I read with envy all the posts of people who don't move all night long in their hammock.
    Thats why I thought I might be the only one

I got my HH in March, and since then I've spent 40+ nights in it. In July, I spent 4 nights/week hammock camping.
    Now talk about envy

To make matters worse I use a mummy bag, not a top quilt, so every time I move if I'm zipped up the bag has to roll with me.

I've gotten accustomed to it finally. I find in the hammock I will wake up momentarily, roll over, and immediately go back to sleep (normally...) In the morning it *seems" like I've been awake a lot since I wake up every time I roll over, but the awake periods are brief enough that I actually get a very good night's sleep and get up in the morning feeling refreshed.
    Thats how my naps feel

My advice would be to try it for a few nights in your backyard. Don't get yourself in a lather worrying you won't sleep, because then you definitely will not. In your backyard you can bail in the middle of the night and crawl into your bed if you get too frustrated. I found having this "escape valve" to be helpful, spending about 10 nights in my backyard before my first night in the field in my HH. (I found I never had to bail out).
    Well luckly I dont have to go that far. I have my hammock on a stand in the other room. The hard part now is trying to explain to my wife why I get to spend the night in the hammock and not her

With a little persistence, you *will* adapt!.
    I sure hope so

--Kurt[/QUOTE]

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I sleep in my hammock every night, but sometimes I get a chance to take a nap in the late afternoon or just lay there & rest my bones for a while. AHHH... the art of relaxing

I believe the more you use it, the more natural turning will be.

My worst problem is Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) It gives me a fit sometimes while I'm trying to go to sleep, but I've rarely ever known it to wake me up once I go to sleep<G>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    RLS (restless leg syndrome) PLMS (periodic leg movements in sleep) and peripheral neuropathy. Award winning combination for trying to sleep. Ain't it grand....
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    I'm just wondering if I am the only one here who uses a hammock to lounge in for its main purpose vs. a good nights rest
    No way; I love nappin! I was one of those people who just lay there and wake up in the same position I fell asleep in. That changed a little on my long distance hike as I would wake up and flop over before going back to sleep. A hammock is just a fancy way to sleep; nothing more. I've been sleeping in them full time for a couple of years now and I guess my body got used to it and started waking up like normal.

The real difference comes it the way I feel in the morning...nothing hurts. Hammock = good IMHO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Remember a hamock hangs differantly between two trees. The stand supports will flex a little under your weight where good trees wont.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    If you spend a lot of your time flopping around at night both in a bed and in a hammock, you may also wish to get yourself to a sleep lab and have yourself checked for apnea. It is possible that the excessive movement is a symptom of something else.

I wonder if they'll let you bring in your hammock for the testing

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This topic also makes me wonder if some people have "fish stories" about hammock sleeping. When I was looking into hammocks and was posting questions/reading threads it seemed to me like some statements such as "my hammock is as comfortable as by high end bed..." were a bit of an overstatement. I also think a lot of people make ground sleeping seem like its so miserable its not worth laying down!. I have had some very comfortable nights on the ground and in fact with my pad that I use now it might equal my hammock. So any way are some of you just a little over excited about hammocks and tell "my fish was this big" stories about hammock comfort or do you really feel that way?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast