DIYin' the works. Advice needed!

Hey all. I've decided to make my dream hammocking setup over the summer, and I could really use the help of all you pros to make my dream into reality. Now I'm talking about making the whole shebang here: hammock, suspension, bugnet, tarp, maybe even TQ/UQ if I'm feeling up to it, so this is gonna be a long one. I'll break it up and address my concerns/ideas/questions piece by piece.

First, the hammock. Actually think I know what I'm going for here, planning on a 1.1 double layer with openings to slide my pad in. My only question is, for double layers, should I whip the ends, sew a channel, or does it even make a difference?

Suspension! Now I've seen some youtube tutorials on how to make whoopies, but it honestly looks like it could be more trouble than it's worth to make these myself as opposed to just buying them. Anyone tried making their own? Was it not too hard, or do you think it'd be worth it to spend a few extra bucks for some already made?

Don't really have any questions about making a bugnet, seems pretty straightforward, but feel free to give me any bugnet-related tips you may have to offer.

Finally the tarp. I'm not looking to go ultralight here, so I'm thinking I'll make a big 4-season with door flaps and plenty of tie-outs. I'm having a hard time finding instructions for making such a tarp though, anyone got a good tutorial?

Once I've made up my mind on exactly what I'm making and know what materials I need, it'll be time to whip out the ole credit card for a nice little shopping spree. SO where do you guys get your DIY supplies? (Gonna have to buy online, I doubt there's a fabric store within an hour of my house out in the backwoods, much less a decently well-stocked one.)

Thanks for the help!

Images
    Here is a link that someone recently put up

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Hammock: Sew a channel in the ends. That gives you the flexibilty to whip or gather the ends.

Suspension: Whoopies are actually quite easy to make once you ahve the right tool. Whether you buy a proper fid, use guitar string, carpet needle, floral wire, or whatever you just don't rush it. Work it slow and smooth and you'll be surprised how easy it actually is to do.
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Bugnet:
    • If you're attaching the bugnet to the hammock, have someone outside pin it to the hammock while you're in the sweet spot.
    • If removable, then check all the designs here and find the one you like the best.

Tarp: The Winter Dream sounds about what you're looking for.

Good luck on your projects and I hope to see pics of them soon.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    Whoopie slings are pretty straight forward. Simple isn't always easy, but a couple cold ones and some time with youtube and the forum and you'll have them done before you know it. Buy the amsteel from DutchWare. I'm new too and the folks on this forum are the greatest, most helpful folks on any forum ever. They also have a nasty habit of providing ideas to feed my diy addiction.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Burning_Daylight View Post
    They also have a nasty habit of providing ideas to feed my diy addiction.
    I plan on posting about my hybrid UQ protector after I get back from the Gorge next weekend. Go ahead and pullout the silnylon and ripstop.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Wow. I am just blown away by these quick, and extremely helpful replies. Thanks a lot guys, now to get started on my materials list! I'll post progress reports/pics as I get stuff done in the next few weeks!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Whipping... Knotty's video makes it easy.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205

The DL instructions on DIYGearsupply's website is what I would do...
    http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/diy-guides/hammock/

I buy all my fabrics and DIY stuff from Scott at diygearsupply
    http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com

I've had dealings with a few of the sellers that advertise here... They're all a good lot...

If you can sew (and note that I did NOT say sew a straight line...) then you can make everything.

My tarp is a simple 8x10 that I put together from cheap fabric I found and then later Siliconed...

Best of luck!

Oh: Here's a great set of instructions for a hammock with built-in bugnet... Mine's 11' long, and no shelf..

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...lackbird+clone
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

The whoopie slings are very easy. I used a large threading needle that I bought from Walmart. The point is not sharpe and worked like a charm. I made my first hammock a couple weeks ago and the seams looked terrible but they worked. Mine looked very much like an eno with my own ideas and knotty's gathered end. My next project is the tarp.

• + New Posts