Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images

Trail Days 2012: 2012

So I got back from Trail Days early this AM. and overall had an absolute blast. Ill share my experience and yes I was their and no I did not take pics I was to lazy. Carried a camera around all day but again just to lazy to take pics. Any ways.

Left Baltimore around 10am. It was a 7.5 hour drive and went by pretty fast, no traffic and some good scenery. Made it to my hotel room about 10 min. outside Damascus. Checked into the hotel at around 6pm, saw a good handful of hikers who were down for Trail Days. Splashed some cold water on graded a few things and headed down into Damascus. Once I parked and having never of been before I figured it would be easy to find the main area. I just had to follow the hiker funk. I was also sporting a HF flag on the back of my pack in hopes of someone spotting me. Me and Stella Blue (my doggie) started walking and with in a few minutes I bumped into Throwen and her eldest daughter. We greeted each other with open arms and I was excited I had already found a friend so easily. She pointed me in the direction of stormcrow, Dutch, Pan and Smee and the other vendors from HF. I Strolled my way down the street talking to random hikers and locals and just taking it all in cause it sure was a sight to see. Hikers everywhere as well as lots of locals and people like me who just came down to check things out. Walked through the vendors area where they had lots of food, some good ol bluegrass playing and a bunch of smiley folks. Eventually found Adam and Hollow Leg, Papa Smurf was set up next to him and right across the way were Dutch and the Jack's R Better booth. Eagle eye was their, Meet Luke, Thristy Bear and Mr. Green who are all great folks. I was even overly joyed when I was informed by Jenny that my custom 20 and custom 40 (review to come once I get some pics but I promise these quilts are sweet. the 20 weights like 11 oz and small change and the 40 is like 7 and small change.). Any ways I was invited to eat dinner with Adam and Jenny and the rest of the HG crew which was delightful. The rest of the night we hung out around the vendors area with all who were around and eventually headed off to tent city. Me, Dutch, stormcrow, Throwen, Mr. Green, Thirsty Bear, Fin all headed over. Going into tent city was like going to a different part of the world and any thing I may have to say about that will have to go on a different forum that is not a family friendly forum . We all go seperated and on my walk back I heard some hikers yelling at me from a Limo. I yelled back "can I get a ride" and the limo stopped. And who but Dutch and Thirsty Bear open the door to pick me up and take me back to the vendors area. A old thru hiker who owns a limo service was driving around picking people up and driving them around out of the kindness of his heart. He was a real nice guy and to top it off through conversation Dutch realized that he had thru hiked with the guy. Dropped us off I went back to my car drove to back to my hotel and hit the hay.

Woke up the next morning, headed into town, grabbed some break feast and headed over to where all the vendors were. This is when things got awesome. I got to meet Eddie "Cedar Tree" from Packa whom I bought a cuben rain jacket from. Got to meet George "Tin Man" from anti gravity gear who I got to watch make me a pair of sil rain pants in the back of his car. Meet Ron from Mountain Laurel Design a great guy. Talked with Randy "Papa Smurf" for a while whom I ordered two custom hammock from. Spent some time over at the Jacks booth who sold me a BMBH UL. And spent a bunch of time over at hammock Gear chatting it up with the Crow Clan helping them out having an all around great time. And chatting it up with Luke spending time trying to figure out how to make a 4oz Hex cuben. OOHH and almost forgot Dutch Wears the greatest hiker and easy on the eyes. All the vendors had lots of visitors and it was great to see all the vendors selling lots of their gear. L.D. Cakes was around with her friend Dona, Detail Man, Fin, Kangaroo, Mac and his son, T.Z. Brown and I am sure I am forgetting a bunch of you and I apologize for that. The day consisted of me buying gear and talking gear to lots of vendors and passer by'ers and lending a helping hand in any way I could. OOHH and L.D. thanks for the cook kit it's awesome. I skipped the parade to hang out with Mr. Green in the Hammock Gear tent. I did not want to bring Stella Blue to the parade cause I thought it would be a bit to much for her. After everyone got back from the parade a lot of hikers came through to check out all the gear that was set up, raffles were going on, gear was being talked about and I got to meet make lots of new friends and hang out with old ones. The Jacks were busy, Hammock Gear was busy, Dutch could not keep up with the order he was getting and it was great to see all of our fine vendors doing so well and business booming. Hung around Saturday ate some dinner with the folks from Hammock Gear and headed home at around 9pm. Arrived back home at around 5am. Got the car unpacked, went straight to the back yard, set up my new BMBH with my new 40 UQ and dozed off to sleep for 5-6 hours in peacefulness.

So those are my ramblings from Trail Days. Hopefully some one else who was their will post some pics and all the details I forgot or missed.

I had a great time and cant wait till next year to go again.

Peace
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    HH Deluxe/ DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HH Hex/ WB Superfl
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sounds like you had an awesome time. Sure wish I could have made it up this year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Offering fine and unique outdoor products for the serious hiker and hammocker.
    Available at the following retailers:Tier Gear, Dutchware

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    The banner did its job. Sounds like you spent a ton of money, which is always fun.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    A old thru hiker who owns a limo service was driving around picking people up and driving them around out of the kindness of his heart. He was a real nice guy and to top it off through conversation Dutch realized that he had thru hiked with the guy.]
    That would be TABA he has written the definitive guide to the Mountains To Sea Trail and has hiked it 3 times a yo yo in 2009 and last year he guided a group of Marines through the trail and they raised around $300,000.00 for the Injured Marines Semper Fi Fund.
    http://www.fortunatesons.org/
    http://www.thru-hiker.us/

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grits View Post
    That would be TABA he has written the definitive guide to the Mountains To Sea Trail and has hiked it 3 times a yo yo in 2009 and last year he guided a group of Marines through the trail and they raised around $300,000.00 for the Injured Marines Semper Fi Fund.
    http://www.fortunatesons.org/
    http://www.thru-hiker.us/
    Thanks Grits awesome info yeah he was a really nice guy its cool to read bout all the stuff he has done.

Ooohh and I have to apologize to dejoha. He was their to selling his book "the ultimate hang" it was great to meet and chat it up with ypu as well. It seemed like ur book was a big hit at Trail Days.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Great times! Wish I could have been there. Hammocks are taking over on the trail. looking forward to the Quilt reviews! Must have been cool.ridin around in limos with celebs. :-)

Wonderful report LRR, simply beautiful, a masterpiece, never read anything finer!!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Nice trip report, sad I'm living in other side of the earth little bit too far for me to meet those fine folks!
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Very nice report,,missed it this year,,will try again next year as I want to see it. Glad you had a great time.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Very nice report. Thanks for posting. Maybe one of these times I will get down there....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast