Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    +1 on the tightness of the setup. I bet that was uncomfortable! I have heard of many folks taking extra pieces of strapping if they anticipate large diameter trees. You can interlock the loops from the main piece and the addition to extend the length. If you are sure you won't be dealing with bigger trees, you can leave the extensions home. I am jealous! I wish I could get out in the woods! What a cool looking location.
    You bet it was. Again, I think I made it so tight because I was worried the cords would stretch through the night. Next time I will try to hang the straps higher and give the lines more slack.

Thanks for the tip about straps, I may give this another go and bring along double the length straps.

Thanks again, this is a beautiful area to hike and camp in. Take care

Hammock
    Brazilian
    I used to camp in the Los Padres many years ago. The restrictions about camping in FS approved camp grounds used to drive me nuts.

So frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
    I used to camp in the Los Padres many years ago. The restrictions about camping in FS approved camp grounds used to drive me nuts.
    That was probably the single most frustrating thing for this trip. The campground I hiked into was Sheeps Campground just south of Mt Pinos. In that area, there is not another camp open for many more miles of hiking. The fact that I hiked in 50 lbs for 5 miles in high elevations - and the thought that there may not even be a spot left for me to camp in was lingering in my head the whole hike in.

It all turned out alright, but I was tempted to setup off trail in the event that we could not find a spot in that campground. Safety comes first, and we were hiking in the heat on the verge of exhaustion.

Not sure about Angeles National Forest and their restrictions for camping outside of a campground, but I will be looking into it. Thanks for the comment

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12