Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

What should I need

Going camping this week, first time in a hammock, not the first time camping... The weather is supposed to be low 90s during day and dip down to high 60s low 70s at night... What kind of insulation should i reasonably need... I'm fairly warm natured, but don't have a clue what hanging will do... Also it will be high humidity of that makes a difference...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY super-wide
    Tarp
    guide gear 11x11
    Insulation
    fleece quilt/ccf
    Suspension
    whoopies
    If you're already a hiker with a bag, you can use that. OR you could use a fleece blanket over a sleeping pad and use another one or two on top. If you want to go expensive, buy an underquilt. There are a lot of manufacturers to choose from and all make a good product. There is stormcrow at hammockgear, Jacks R' Better, tewa, brandon at warbonnet, and a few others whose names escape me at the moment. If you want to, to could also use an old military poncho liner strung up underneath.
    I love frisbee, mangos, 7.62x39, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Atlas Shrugged, 1984, fresh grown tomatoes, oatmeal with raisins, America, potted meat, and the N.C. mountains.

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Hammock
    DIY super-wide
    Tarp
    guide gear 11x11
    Insulation
    fleece quilt/ccf
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Humidity does indeed make a difference! You can use a pad, but those are really sweaty. an underquilt , bag, or blankets are the way to go! Don't forget a warm beanie! If you don't have a tarp yet, sportsman's guide makes a good polyurethane soaked tarp. It is an 8x8 for like 18 bucks and an 11x11 for 30. Those are a LOT cheaper than sil or cuben tarps.

You can get some good instructional vids from youtube. Sean(shugemery is his channel name) had some entertaining as well as informational vids.
    I love frisbee, mangos, 7.62x39, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Atlas Shrugged, 1984, fresh grown tomatoes, oatmeal with raisins, America, potted meat, and the N.C. mountains.

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I watched all of shug shugity shugs videos... Covered a lot of cold weather stuff... Was interested since I'm not going to -2 like he is (yall are insane those of you camping that cold) I'm just going to low 70's... Was wondering what was necessary... Yeah i have a tarp I bought an eno tarp, a grand trunk ultra light, some straps grimace hardware store and have a no see um net coming today... I'm set as far as gear, just wondering about the insulation now...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    you will need something under you- be that a pad (make sure it's wide enough for your shoulders/sides as well- remember hammocks wrap up.
    http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm

also look up the Speer Segmented Pad extender (SPE)

Some people use truck windshields successfully. You might get a bit of condensation on the pad, you might not.

You WILL need something under you- especially if you have a snazzy sleeping bag (an elcheapo bag won't compress as well, which is good if you're sleeping on top of it.)

Read this: http://tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
    Especially this: http://tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html

it is really good- written by Just Jeff, one of the founding mods of HF.com

TH
    Last edited by titanium_hiker; 05-21-2012 at 08:30.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

I have done several nights in those same conditions in GA. I used a narrow inflatable pad and a down bag. I am very comfortable into the 50's with this set-up. Much lower than that and my shoulders get cold. My son used a z-lite pad. Same conditions, same results.
    Slave to modern society....for now

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I tried using the truck window sun screen this last weekend and woke up around 2:30 soaking wet. I tossed the pad and used my sleeping bag in a Pea Pod style and slept very well the rest of the night. I was really glad I had changed to a whoopie sling and marlin spike setup at that point (really easy to un-hang and rehang). Lows were around 67 and highs were 90. Good luck with your hang.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Yeah I was originally planning on just a sheet but after hanging around in it for a bit i realized the cool butt thing is a factor even in 75-80 degree weather... So looks like the sleeping bag and sheet should cover me through this, start with sheet laying on bag open and then close it up as the night goes on...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts