Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gearing up on the cheap

OK so I've been slowly gearing up and trying to keep it cheap as I go. So the other day I was looking around and found a Kelty footprint. It is a nylon taffeta coated with polyurethane and is 12' x 12' used as a barrier between the tent floor and the ground. I got it for 16.00. I plan to use this for a rain fly. It seems to be a great alternative for the price. So what do you guys think?

Also, I am 6'2" tall and 330lbs. I have been looking at hammocks to figure out witch one I will eventually get. A lay flat type would be nice, but, I also get hot quick so I need something that will breath. Although not a lay flat, I have been looking at a ENO double nest mostly due to the fabric used. It seems that the material used would breath well. What other hammocks use that same type of material that will hold a 300lb gorilla and what bug net to use with it? Thanks
    Last edited by mongovb; 05-21-2012 at 09:27.

Hammock
    Trimmed ENO Double
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or buckle
    Hey I have seen a few people use footprints as tarps with sucess. Maybe treat it with weather proof spray just for extra insurance. As far as the ENO DN , dont worry about the weight , I'm 280 and have had my wife @ 180 in there with me with no problem. My only sugestion would be a structural ridgeline for that always perfect sag. Good luck happy hanging. p.s I think the ENO DN is on sale right now
    Never let schooling get in the way of your education. -Mark Twain

You can look at the Dream Hammock as he will do a 2 layer for you. I'm 6' 4" and 275 myself and have a WBBB 1.7 DBL. If you are really looking to do something on the cheap, get your Hammock Body from the following link and whip it or gather channel the end and you've got the low cost hammock with minimal effort.

Tableclothfactory

Brad.

Thanks guys. I need to get rid of one of my Marine ILBE packs before I can pick one up. I got laid off in February so money is a little tight right now. I have been basically finding things around the house I no longer need to sell to come up with the cash I need. If you guys know anybody who wants an ILBE pack please PM me. This equipment will also be our bug out gear as well, but, my wife is average sized so Im the one with the special needs.

I am considering the Skeeter Beater Pro or the ENO Doublenest Deluxe. The Skeeter beater pro I think would be the better deal, because it comes with a net. Anybody have opinions as to which is the better deal?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    The hennessy explorer is rated close at 300lbs and I love my hennessys.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    nothing wrong with a skeeter beater pro,,its a really good hammock and sleeps great.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Quote Originally Posted by Mwil3 View Post
    The hennessy explorer is rated close at 300lbs and I love my hennessys.
    I am about 330 so I need industrial grade

I really like the material that the ENO hammock is made of. If the SBP is made of the same material, that would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by mongovb View Post
    I am about 330 so I need industrial grade

I really like the material that the ENO hammock is made of. If the SBP is made of the same material, that would be perfect.
    I had the Eno Singlenest and returned it, only to buy the Skeater Beater Pro. The material on the Skeater Beater Pro is very soft and comfortable, much like the Eno. It also seems to be a bit more durable in my opinion, the Eno Singlenest stitching seemed to be coming apart in some places out of the box.

Hope that helps

Thanks. I just need to get rid of one of my ILBE packs so I can come up with some cash.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast