Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Whoopies on a JRB UL BMBH

I want to change out the suspension on my UL BMBH and I am thinking I want to try whoopie slings, but I don't want to use toggles to attach to the tree huggers. I like to be able to keep my suspension together as a piece when packing, so I avoid any chance of leaving part of it behind. That being the case, I'm thinking I could simply larks-head the whoopie to the ring at the apex of the suspension triangle on my BMBH, then use a Dutch Biner to attach it to the tree huggers. Does that make sense? Is there an easier or lighter way to do this that I don't know about that meets my criteria?

A second question: I'd like to replace the webbing between the hammock and the ring with cord, but don't know how to do this. Any suggestions?
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    if you have raw amsteel, and enjoy splicing --
    here's what i plan to do when i get my hands on a bridge hammock:

make 2 lengths of amsteel with fixed eyes to replace the 2 short webbing lines coming off the hammock (match the exact length) --- girth hitch each amsteel line to a corner ring of the hammock, and connect the lines with a dutch biner to form the 'triangle'.

now, you can clip the adjustable loop of the whoopie sling into the dutch biner, with the fixed eye girth hitched to a loop in the tree strap.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    if you have raw amsteel, and enjoy splicing --
    here's what i plan to do when i get my hands on a bridge hammock:

make 2 lengths of amsteel with fixed eyes to replace the 2 short webbing lines coming off the hammock (match the exact length) --- girth hitch each amsteel line to a corner ring of the hammock, and connect the lines with a dutch biner to form the 'triangle'.

now, you can clip the adjustable loop of the whoopie sling into the dutch biner, with the fixed eye girth hitched to a loop in the tree strap.

Using this system, is there any reason why I couldn't or shouldn't simply larks head the fixed eye of the whoopie sling through the two lines going to the hammock corners, then dutch clip the adjustable loop to the tree hugger?

I keep coming back to my desire to keep the suspension in one piece, and simply clip it onto the tree hugger. Is there some reason why I shouldn't be?
    ~

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i don't like using the dutch biner / webbing connection, because the dutch biner is designed to work primarily with amsteel.

the way i read it... your suspension, if utilizing hardware of any kind, equates to a separable suspension, be it at the tree strap or the hmmk.

that said... i'm sure it will work as you mention, i don't see you couldn't finish the triangle by connecting the 2 short lines of amsteel coming from the hammock corners by girth hitching the fixed eye of the whoopie.

for me, i like being able to detach the whoopie from the hmmk, -- makes the suspension very easily usable on other hammocks, and prevents wet line from being packed in with the hmmk itself.

keep us posted on what you come up with
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    i don't like using the dutch biner / webbing connection, because the dutch biner is designed to work primarily with amsteel.
    Ah, got you. I'll have to see how the dutch biners work with 1" webbing, then decide.

the way i read it... your suspension, if utilizing hardware of any kind, equates to a separable suspension, be it at the tree strap or the hmmk.
    You're right, the way I want to do it is in fact a separable suspension, but it fits the way I am used to working with my other hammock, which clips to the tree huggers with a carabiner. I keep the tree straps clipped onto the suspension during storage, which eliminates any chance of leaving a hugger behind when breaking camp. When I set up, I unclip the biner, wrap the tree hugger around the tree, and clip the biner back on. Basically, I keep the suspension all hooked together except when attaching to or detaching from the tree, so I won't lose anything.
    ~

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    sounds good to me

pitching wedge or putter, they both put the ball close to hole from the fringe

i'm most interested in this because I WANT A BRIDGE HAMMOCK!!

for a truly un-"lose-able" suspension you could build the adjustable loop of the whoopie sling through the 2 lines coming off the hammock, and then girth hitch the fixed eye of the whoopie to the loop in the tree strap (or even build it in). then make the connection around the tree via a biner or dutch clip as you already do.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here's my take. I got my BMBH UL yesterday and worked from home today. Technically it was so I could go to the school pool with my son but it also afforded me the option to play.

Right off the bat I knew I didn't like the stock suspension and tri-glides. They just take too much time. Maybe if I play with them more I'll feel more comfortable. I was out of Amsteel but realized I had the whoopies off my Light Hiker. They were short and I'd replaced them with some I made and kept these as spares. So what'd I do?

I used a larkshead to attach the fixed loop on the whoopie to the ring on the hammock. Next I wrapped the straps around the tree and used a soft shackle of 7/64" Amsteel to hold the loops together along with the adjustable loop of the whoopie.

So far it seems to be working ok. Although, it was too hot and bright for me so I didn't stay in it for long. I'll be heading out in a bit to take pics. I'll post if anyone thinks it'll help.

ETA: Here are some pics.

Ignore the CRL. I also ordered some Dutch hooks and a tarp flyz and didn't feel like taking the CRL down.

Soft Shackle securing whoopie to tree straps

Whoopie with larkshead on hammock end
    Last edited by JaxHiker; 05-24-2012 at 18:22.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Ok so Ive been playing around with the suspension on the BMBH UL and this is what I came up with. Larks head dead eye of woopie to loop on the tree strap. Attach Dutch Biner to the adjustable end of woopie. Wrap strap around tree and feed woopie through the tree strap. Clip dutch biner to the O ring of the BMBH UL and wallah. I know this is not what your asking for because you want a permanent suspension fixed but I find this set up very easy and use a similar style on all my hammock. Hope this helps.
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    LRR, you and Rip are both using the same system. My whoopies and dutch biners arrived yesterday and I had a quick 20 minutes or so to fiddle around with them between work stuff.

I larks headed the fixed eye of the whoopie to the ring on the hammock. With a bit of effort I attached the dutch biner to one of the end loops on the 1" tree strap so I coud then attach the adjustable loop of the whoopie to the dutch biner. Since the biner would stay on the tree strap, the difficulty of getting it on and off doesn't matter.

However, I find it very easy to catch threads from the whoopie sling on the little hook that catches the gate on the dutch biner, and I worry about it slowly tearing threads out of the Amsteel. That being the case, I am either going to use my regular carabiners to attach the whoopie slings to the tree straps, or more likely I'll reverse the set up and do it the way you guys both do.

I've also though about replacing the dutch biners with soft shackles, but think that might be a bit of a pain to fiddle with every evening and every morning
    ~

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Affreeman. FYI the Dutch Biners are also a real pain to get on and off the O rings. I dont mind the fiddle but when i set my wife little legs up and she uses the bridge I use regular camp nano biners. Which are much easier to take on and off.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast