WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    about 3 yrs ago on Backpacker.com,,their forum,,a gear Tester,,name Ray Estrella (I think that is close spelling) started testing sleeping in quilts on the ground,,and he did alot of his testing in the winter in alot of snow,,and really liked it and posted all his results using quilts as super positive to where,,I started buying and using quilts myself in tents on the ground,,and they worked perfect..I used a Big Agnes insulatated air core mat. and in the winter,,just threw a folded in half poncho liner on it with my quilts over me and had no problems sleeping...Now that I have a couple of AHE sythethic Jarbridges,,I would not be hesitant to throw one of them on a mat, and sleep on top of them in the winter with a quilt over me either,,I would think you would almost roast depending on the temp ratings. HG makes great quilts,so does Underground Quilts of which I have several for me and the wife. All these makers on this forum make dynomite quilts.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Clark's North American NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark's Vertex
    Insulation
    Gore-Tex Bivy
    I been looking at something that would work in the colder months, But its Wind resistance & breathable too. Came across this Military Bivy Bag.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=976936

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    I've got the UL spiral down hugger #3 and it is awesome for all around use as it has the 3/4 zip and I use it much as a topquilt in the hammock. I find that if it is really cold out, I seem to get a little bit warmer taking it from topquilt mode, to zipping right up in it, and cinching down the hood. It is made out of really nice material, and stuffs down to close to the same size as my underquilt. I move around alot when I sleep on the ground, and having the option to zip in is good.

That being said, as I lean more and more to hammocking only, I would really like to get a HG Burrow to match my Phoenix. No matter which you choose, they are both really nice, and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Cheers
    I also have the MB SS #3 and use it almost exactly the same way in my WBBB Lefty as Callahan described. I got it off eBay in near flawless condition for $190. But that was before I discovered Shug and hammocking and then Adam and Jenny.

But as much as I love my MB#3 for its flexibility and warmth, I can also vouch for the quality of the HG gear- it is superb!!! So, unless you can score a major deal on the MB, I'd go for the HG combo.

Of course, now you have to decide snap or sewn bottom, custom fabric or standard, color, full UQ or 3/4. I swear it seems easier to find the money than choose among the options.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hermit View Post
    I been looking at something that would work in the colder months, But its Wind resistance & breathable too. Came across this Military Bivy Bag.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=976936
    I have one of these beasts, bought it for $7.00 US Dollar. The third time I used it, I some how put my head on the #&#@**Velcro. I was glued to the Bivy, I had a heck of a time getting into a sitting position. I practically have a bald spot where I became on with the hood. I have very long hair, I can sit on it (time to donate it to Locks of Love). Anyway it hurt, and was very difficult to get the remainer of my hair back to myself. I disposed of the velcro.

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    i would have to say go with an underground quilt i got the 0 degree and love it.
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12