Tarp
    OMW 144"
    Insulation
    -13*C FL Winter UQ
    Suspension
    DClips, rings, web

OMW compression sack size?

Hello,

I've just bought an OMW and there is no chance I'm getting it back in that tiny stuffsack! I was thinking of getting a compression sack but I have a few question.

Will a comp sack be ok for a tarp?
    What size will the 144" ridgeline need for a comp sack.
    How much smaller does a comp sack make the tarp compared to a normal stuff sack?

Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Don't know the tarp, but I'm not a fan of compression sacks in general. They make soft things turn into rigid things.

If it came in the sack, it will go back in it. Are you folding or rolling it first? That usually causes the problem. It's a stuff sack, stuff it. (Let the flaming posts begin)

One thing I've done to figure out a stuff sack size for MYOG projects is put the tarp or whatever in a plastic grocery bag and keep balling it/compressing it until its at a size I am comfortable with. Once there,I'll figure out the volume needed and make a stuff sack that size or a tad bigger.
    Two ways:
    1. Once it's the correct size, try to frm it into a cylinder that you can measure circumference and height
    2. If cylinder doesn't work, put a rubber band closing the sack and then mark where the rubber band is with a Sharpie. Remove the item, close the sack partially and then fill it with water back to the lines and measure the volume of the water.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've never been a fan of compression stuff sacs either for the reasons nacra533 mentioned. I typically use different stuff sacs from the ones I get from manufacturers. Over the years I've come to prefer using slightly bigger bags than the ones the gear comes in. It makes stuffing them into a pack easier since the loosely packed gear in the stuff sac can conform with other gear and shift to fill out the inside of my pack.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Expl Deluxe
    Tarp
    OMW 144"
    Insulation
    -13*C FL Winter UQ
    Suspension
    DClips, rings, web
    Thanks.

It comes in a sack but it needs to be folded incredibly small and tight. Which is ok when you have a big area of dry ground to fold it properly but I couldn't/wouldn't want to, do that in a forest floor if it's raining.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I don't have an OMW, but I just got a Big Daddy with the 144 inch ridge line. I took it out of the stuff sack for the first time today, then re-stuffed it back in it's bag. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being a breeze, and 10 being a major ordeal.....I'd give the re-stuff a 5. About the same as putting my down sleeping bag back into it's stuff sack. I wouldn't fold it, just stuff it. That's what stuff sacks are meant for. If you're going for speed or worried about it dragging on the ground, either get a slightly larger bishop bag (opens & cinches on both ends) or snake skins. Here's a pic of my re-stuffed Big Daddy, 16oz/8.5 inch tall iced tea for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    Quote Originally Posted by lorddan01 View Post
    Thanks.

It comes in a sack but it needs to be folded incredibly small and tight. Which is ok when you have a big area of dry ground to fold it properly but I couldn't/wouldn't want to, do that in a forest floor if it's raining.
    As Nacra said don't fold it at all grab a hand full of tarp ad stuff it in the sack and repeat, it will go in that way I have an OMW and it is the only way I put it away.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I have my guy lines attached to my OMW and there is no way m stuffing that thing back in its sack. I opted for a nice large stuff sack that I can shape and conform to my pack....plus it's much easier to stuff that way.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Hornet
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Big Agnes w/ Exped
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    I have my guy lines attached to my OMW and there is no way m stuffing that thing back in its sack. I opted for a nice large stuff sack that I can shape and conform to my pack....plus it's much easier to stuff that way.
    Odd. I have my guylines, continuous ridgeline and snakeskins on mine and it still stuffs in with just a little more effort. Actually, I even have two shock-cord loops with little plastic balls attached to the center guy-out points. For ease of use though, I might just coil up the snake skins in the future so they can conform to my bag.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Since my Big Daddy came with the small regular stuff sack, I decided to make life easy on myself and get a slightly bigger double ended tarp bag. Marty has his hammock bags on sale right now.

• + New Posts