DIY 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly HEX
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, SBTQ
    Suspension
    Tree Straps/ WS

New DIY Tarp Snakeskins

I decided to make a new snakeskin for my DIY Tarp. I changed the design a little so that it would be one long Snake Skin. I made it out of 0.9 oz noseeum from Kyle and RBTR. This has to be the easiest DIY project to undertake. The materials are cheap and the sewing is easy. I made a video to outline the process to encourage others to try and tackle it. Here's how I did it. I welcome feedback on the design because I have some leftover materials and I am trying to think of a way to improve the next one. Thanks

Luke Smith
    "When I consider your heavens, the works of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?" -Psalm 8:3-4

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I prefer the one long skin, it avoids that darn big air bubble in the middle that a person has to work out. For me, it is faster to sew and faster to use. BTW, yours looks way better than mine. Thanks for making the video.

Hammock
    so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings
    Those look great. If I had a thread injector I would make some. If you ever want to make some more to try out designs or whatever PM me and I'd pay you what you think they are worth. Great job. Like the glowline idea.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Nice snake skin and nice video. You may have just sold me on the single skin rather than the double. Thanks!

I did a similar build.. Excellent video.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Very clear tutorial, good design, thanks for taking the time to create the video.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    ===> Thanks for this! I just got a thread injector (yesterday, in fact!), and was thinking about a first project. This will be it! I have several sets of skins for my tarps, but need one for a new tarp I just got. This well-done video convinced me that even as a rookie gear maker I can do this! I also agree with the 'Single Skin' philosophy, after wrestling with the two-piece skins many times!

Great job, and thanks!

~ SkyPainter

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Greylock 3 Hudson
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looks like good DIY project. Any regrets not putting a taper on the skin? Would you still go with 3" diameter?

I really like this idea and will probably use it for my next set! Thanks for creating the video, good work!

I do have one question. When I've used the two skin style in the past, I could open from the middle and connect my middle tie-outs before opening the rest of the way which was helpful in the wind. I think of skins as being most useful when there's lots of wind flapping everything around. What experience do you guys have using this single skin style in wind? Thanks!!

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly HEX
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, SBTQ
    Suspension
    Tree Straps/ WS
    Quote Originally Posted by heywoodja View Post
    Looks like good DIY project. Any regrets not putting a taper on the skin? Would you still go with 3" diameter?
    I thought about putting a taper in it. In thinking about it, the bulk of the tarp is in the middle. When you have two sections that come together in the middle then it is easy to taper the outside edges and leave the middle edges larger. Since this skin slides across the middle of the tarp and then on to the opposite edge, tapering the "leading" edge of the skin would be counterproductive since I was wanting a larger diameter to help make it slide easier.

I really like the 3" diameter. It slides across very easy. I may experiment with the next one having a 2.5" diameter and see if that would be sufficient. I know that 2" works but it was a little tight.
    Luke Smith
    "When I consider your heavens, the works of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?" -Psalm 8:3-4

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast