Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I'm not sold on the supershelter. You get a pad underneath, but I carry one of those anyway so I can add it to my sleep system whenever I want - or not. You get windblock and moisture protection (only on the bottom, unless you buy the overcover too), but my hammock sock takes care of that. That's on my homemade hammock, though - a sock/pod for the HH would require some design work as has been discussed on another thread.

Overall, I think the quilt system with an additional windblock like a pod or a sock is a much more versatile setup. I really don't see much flexibility to the supershelter at all.
    Im just saying if you are starting out and you are not the diy type as a package this is the way to go i think .plus less guess work just plug and play. plus its made for the hh in mind
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
    Im just saying if you are starting out and you are not the diy type as a package this is the way to go i think .plus less guess work just plug and play. plus its made for the hh in mind
    I agree that it's probably easier to set up than a quilt when you're new...but then again, I don't know that I'd necessarily recommend newbies using hammocks in adverse weather to start out with, either Your buddy did OK though!

It's definitely made for the HH - the one I've seen in person looked like it fit really well. On the other hand, the KAQ is very well-designed for HH use too...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images

kaq

true that it fits realllllly good

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I have both, though I'm still learning the JRB underquilt. There is very little learning curve or adjusting needed for the HH SS. I've been to about 29* with the HH SS, a 3/4 Ultralight Thermarest and a 20* REI UL down bag. I do like the fact that you can put your extra pad under the hammock and on the undercover and underpad and it will stay put. What I didn't like is that the undercover has elastic all around the top which causes it to squeeze in and make the net and hammock brush up against my face. It's also a little of a pain getting out because you have to use your foot to move the underpad over to get to the slit on the undercover. Not terrible, just more inconvenient when you have to take multiple bio breaks during the night.

I'm still learning how to adjust the JRB Nest. Last night I tested it. The temp go to 37 early this morning. I got in at 11. At 1 I adjusted to add a little more sag to the Nest; I thing I was compressing the bottom a little. At 3 I got cool again and had to tighten the 'windows' on the ends. I woke up again at 6 for another bio break but no adjustment. Slept till 8:30. I wore thin running shorts, a long sleeve poly tshirt and a balaclava and was warm with just my 20* REI bag and a 12X16 piece of WalMart Blue CCF to move around if I had cool spots.

This afternoon I had my son get in since he's my size. I adjusted the sides to the outer loop. The high was 44 today and should be even colder tonight so I'll probably test again.
    Last edited by stoikurt; 02-03-2007 at 22:18.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    I am also not sold on the HH SS. I can make it down to 30-ish with a 1/2 inch ccp. To say that you added a pad with the standard SS setup makes me a little concerned with it. I just don't think the pad it comes with is thick enough to get any real use out of it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    The SS is made in the same spirit as Tom's hammocks, I think - easy, ready to use right out of the box. Minimize the learning curve. I'm in a position now where I appreciate flexibility over simplicity on some things, though.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The SS isn't breathable, either. I like being able to breathe.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I am also not sold on the HH SS. I can make it down to 30-ish with a 1/2 inch ccp. To say that you added a pad with the standard SS setup makes me a little concerned with it. I just don't think the pad it comes with is thick enough to get any real use out of it.
    I agree. I don't think the pad that comes with it would get you down to lower temps by itself. It's only about 1/4" open cell foam. It does give you a little wrap around insulation for the sides where you're not compressing it much.
    Stoikurt

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    The SS isn't breathable, either. I like being able to breathe.
    No, but it's loose enough that it probably gets a tiny bit of circulation. Especially since the top of the hammock is open. Also, most any pad you lie on is not breathable either and you'll be laying more directly on the pad allowing for more of a chance for condensation.
    Stoikurt

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    No, but it's loose enough that it probably gets a tiny bit of circulation. Especially since the top of the hammock is open. Also, most any pad you lie on is not breathable either and you'll be laying more directly on the pad allowing for more of a chance for condensation.
    and most people use a top cover with the ss

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast