Old Fart With Questions

I recently turned 60, with two bad knees and a ruptured disk, so I don't hike any more. In fact, I just found that my 30 year old thermarest is a bad fit on my 60-year old body. I'm touring on a motorcycle, and looking at hammock camping as a way of keeping some flexibility in my stop points rather than being forced into motels.

I did sleep in hammocks several times when younger, in the mesh backpacking hammocks available at the time. I never liked being treated as a sausage

I have two concerns -- getting in and out of the hammock, and a need to sleep on my side.

I have been looking at three different types and makes of hammocks:
    • Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    • Claytor Jungle
    • DIY Bridge

I would appreciate any comments and or suggestions on these or other hammocks with regard to my concerns.

Thanks

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have never beenn in a claytor. I own a HH Safari and I own a couple DIY Bridge. I have mobility issues in that I have a very difficult time getting up off the ground. My preference is the Hennessey for the mobility issues. I am a side sleeper and can do so very nicely in the HH. I have difficulty adjusting my position to get out of the straight Bridge that I have. I can do it, but it is not as easy as the HH. The Dual Mode Bridge is the same as long as I am in the bridge mode. Switch it to the gathered mode and you had better have a physical therapist assistant there to help me get out. The HH is bottom entry and I find it very easy to enter and exit. Some folks say the bottom entry gets old after a while, but for me... it is a wonderful that I don't think I will tire of.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Rider View Post
    I recently turned 60, with two bad knees and a ruptured disk, so I don't hike any more. In fact, I just found that my 30 year old thermarest is a bad fit on my 60-year old body. I'm touring on a motorcycle, and looking at hammock camping as a way of keeping some flexibility in my stop points rather than being forced into motels.

I did sleep in hammocks several times when younger, in the mesh backpacking hammocks available at the time. I never liked being treated as a sausage

I have two concerns -- getting in and out of the hammock, and a need to sleep on my side.

I have been looking at three different types and makes of hammocks:
    • Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    • Claytor Jungle
    • DIY Bridge

I would appreciate any comments and or suggestions on these or other hammocks with regard to my concerns.

Thanks
    Bear Rider,

I too am 60+ and a long distance tourer ( BMW K1200LTC).... The BMBH is easily packed, sets up fast without any knots or lashings ... It is a great side sleeper... It is easy to get in and out ... If you experiance any problems let us know and we can send you a handicap assisiance stap to facilitate lift and balance in and out.... The one we did for Frolicing Dino seems to work well for her.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I'm still a kid at 24, and don't have any mobility issues aside from my currently broken little toe (still going backpacking this weekend...) But I just wanted to say that the Claytor Jungle that I use is great for side sleeping in my opinion. A bridge would probably be better since I think it lays truely flat, but I've never tried a bridge. I don't know how difficult the Claytor would be to get into ( not as hard as some hammocks I've gotten into, maybe because it's narrow so, with a pad in it and not much sag, it doesn't sink down so much in the middle as some others.)
    If the need to sleep on your side is a comfort thing and not a medical thing, I will add that although I can't sleep on my back in a bed I can in a hammock.
    Best of luck in finding a good hammock. ~Bryan

• + New Posts