Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett

Experiment planned

Have ordered a single 3/4 and a single full IX layer to attempt to make an UQ and TQ. I'll report back on success. For the UQ, I'm considering using DriDucks poncho material, if needed, to support the UQ. From Mad777's comments, I may not like the IX as TQ. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm hoping that if the IX does not work for me in this application, it may work as an extra UQ layer in winter between hammock and down UQ. Am I dreaming?
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

for cheap warm weather stuff, you really can't go wrong with a couple of milsurp poncho liners. they can be found for under $20/piece and there are a few tutorials around to convert one to a UQ. TQ is a no brainer. upack and cover up.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    For lows above 65, I tend to go without an underquilt. A torso-sized piece of CCF does me just fine if things dip below the 65 mark and above the 55 mark.

Note, though, that I use a (fairly heavy compared to down or IX) poncho liner as a topquilt. The synthetic batting in it resists compression pretty well, and it wraps around my torso enough that I can place it between the hammock and myself for those spots that the CCF doesn't cover.

You could get around the weight issue and bring the poncho liner--nominally in the 18 oz range--under a pound if you were willing to cut it down to your body size (though this might cause issues with it wrapping around you too little to fill in).

I'm also a very hot sleeper compared to most. YMMV.

Anyway, just a thought.

I camped im WBBB Monday night 69F low. I was quite comfortable in my Jacks R Better Quilt liner / Summer Blanket with my Gossamer Gear 1/4 inch pad underneath. I'm sure I'll end up with an UQ but the pad was nice to have for lounging on the ground and easy to remove for hiding from bugs in the hammock before it cools off.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Still scanning this thread. In 7 days we leave for HOT Missouri and the Katy Trail. Lows in the mid 60s predicted....me a UBERCOLD sleeper....so I'm still planning on using the MacIX branded double layer underquilt.
    I've got (and love the utter multi-utility) a poncho liner and am considering it for the TQ; I just hate the 20ish ounce weight and if I cut it down (well why not at $20) I'll use the multiutl functionality.
    BUT did remember the silk coccon mummy liner-it wouldn't hurt and packs small.

I'm sure we all know/have lived a hot day in the upper 80s but then the sun goes down and a bit of wind and suddenly you're downright cold...so there are always camp clothes to incorporate into the sleep system. I remember a gal of several years ago who would sleep in her wind shirt and claimed 10F more warmth from it.

I've got another scheme in mind if FedEx will work with me---I'll share it with everyone when I get back from Missouri. When we head back this way we're planning on paddling on the Green River in Mammoth Cave NP just to do something completely different than cycling 246 miles

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett

More ideas on warm weather options

Have also ordered a couple poncho liners to play around with as TQ or UQ. Was also wondering about a silk travel sheet that's actually a big bag, weighs just 5 oz. I might do some backyard testing with a velcro strip foot box using both layers of the travel sheet above me as a TQ. Maybe combine that with the IX single layer UQ? Fun times ahead. I am a warm sleeper, so might be able to get away with it, but definitely a backyard test will be required before hitting any trails. Neighbors are used to seeing headlamp glow in my backyard and have stopped calling the cops. ; )
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Let us know how the experimenting goes!

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Still scanning this thread. In 7 days we leave for HOT Missouri and the Katy Trail. Lows in the mid 60s predicted....me a UBERCOLD sleeper....so I'm still planning on using the MacIX branded double layer underquilt.
    I've got (and love the utter multi-utility) a poncho liner and am considering it for the TQ; I just hate the 20ish ounce weight and if I cut it down (well why not at $20) I'll use the multiutl functionality.
    BUT did remember the silk coccon mummy liner-it wouldn't hurt and packs small.

I'm sure we all know/have lived a hot day in the upper 80s but then the sun goes down and a bit of wind and suddenly you're downright cold...so there are always camp clothes to incorporate into the sleep system. I remember a gal of several years ago who would sleep in her wind shirt and claimed 10F more warmth from it.

I've got another scheme in mind if FedEx will work with me---I'll share it with everyone when I get back from Missouri. When we head back this way we're planning on paddling on the Green River in Mammoth Cave NP just to do something completely different than cycling 246 miles
    Be sure you eat at the Stone Hill Winery restaurant in Hermann if you get the chance; it is fan-freaking-tastic! Also, Janette at the Globe Hotel in Hartsburg is a dear and makes the *best* cranberry muffins for breakfast. And the strawberry margarita stuffed french toast at the Lindenhoff in Augusta was divine! Pizza and shots of Hot **** at Jims in Tebbetts were pretty awesome too.

Dang those were fun trips...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Have ordered a single 3/4 and a single full IX layer to attempt to make an UQ and TQ. I'll report back on success. For the UQ, I'm considering using DriDucks poncho material, if needed, to support the UQ. From Mad777's comments, I may not like the IX as TQ. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm hoping that if the IX does not work for me in this application, it may work as an extra UQ layer in winter between hammock and down UQ. Am I dreaming?
    I don't think you are dreaming. That might work pretty good for warm weather and for a cold weather boost. Keep in mind with the IX- fit must be perfect. ( actually, this applies to all UQs except maybe PeaPod) Mac's UQs are designed to be pulled snug and well sealed on the sides and ends, but when this is done the IX layer under you will still be loose enough to function.

Very often in the summer around here, nothing at all is needed except maybe some water thrown in the hammock, trying to get some evaporative cooling going! Or maybe a fan mounted on the ridge line! But if you get much below 70-75-especially if there is wet or wind- you might need a little something.

If you decide the IX is not what you want, keep this in mind: Climashield. I have an original Warbonnet Yeti, from when they were CS rather than down. There are 3 removable layers of Climashield, and one permanent layer of 2.5 oz per sq.yd CS. This is a short torso UQ. You can't really get much lighter at about 10 oz or so. A Baby Orca is little lighter with 2 layers of IX in a 3/4 length is about 8.5 oz. Some people can take 2 layers of IX into the 30s, others seem to be more like the 40s or even 50s.

Anyway, I have been warm into the mid 40s with 1 sq.yd of that CS insulation at about 2.5 oz total plus the nylon shell and suspension. And that was wearing nothing but a cotton t-shirt and blue jeans. With fleece clothing and long johns, I no doubt could have gone colder.

Just another option to keep in mind. Course, you might have to make one, although PGibson at Arrowhead makes some CS UQs, but I don't know how light he goes.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-29-2012 at 16:37.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    the wife's 50 degree Jarbridge, which is 42" x 58" synthetic climashield weighs in at 14.1 oz. and is very comfy,,personally don't liker her choice of hot pink,,but that is her choice in colors,,I use a 40 degree full length down sewed thru UQ by Underground quilts vented at times, and it weighs 19.4 oz...but I am more cold natured than she is so I just carry the weight as for me,,its better to be warm than cold. If its super hot,,then I just tie a Partial cut in half full length poncho liner under me for alittle warmth.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast