One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    For what's it's worth .. I use a Thermoflect UQ .. weighs in at 4.6 ozs. ... and for a TQ a Sea to Summit Thremolite Reactor 9.5ozs. .. pushed to 60*F wearing only shorts and a shirt .. IX and poncho liners don't pack down small enough for my liking .. HYOH
    Peace is Sexy...
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    Darien UL/WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Geaar
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch
    hmm... from what I see, it looks like the thermoflect is only available in large quantities

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett

Trip report - on trail testing

So on the Zaleski BP trail trip, we had high temps of 84 degrees for Saturday's 12.7 miles (TH to Camp H, for any who know Zaleski). At midnight it was still in low 70's, and low temp for the night, at about 5 AM, was 65.6 degrees. As far as my hammock comfort, I never used the poncho liner at all, and as temps fell below 70, eventually did use the single IX layer 3/4 UQ and single IX layer full length TQ. Initially had the UQ off to one side and no TQ. Was wearing only tyvek pants (made from a thin tyvek hazmat suit, 2.8 oz), Ex Officio boxers, hiking socks, and an UL Merino LS top (5.1 oz), no hat. Not chilly at all. Did not find condensation or moisture under the IX TQ to be a problem either, which some folks have mentioned.

So more testing will be needed to see what I'll need or not for temps in lower 60's and high 50's. I have been able to barter a collection of the gear I make for a HG 50 deg Burrow TQ, so I will probably sell off the poncho liners as they weigh about the same. The IX gives me the flexibility of using 1 or 2 layers as UQ, and in really warm conditions single layer UQ and TQ as I did at Zaleski.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett

Lightbulb Wrap up report on warm weather insulation experiments

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    . . . more testing will be needed to see what I'll need or not for temps in lower 60's and high 50's. I have been able to barter a collection of the gear I make for a HG 50 deg Burrow TQ, so I will probably sell off the poncho liners as they weigh about the same. The IX gives me the flexibility of using 1 or 2 layers as UQ, and in really warm conditions single layer UQ and TQ as I did at Zaleski.
    Just thought I would do a follow-up report on my recent experiments on another trip, this time on an AT section in VA called the "triple crown" (see trip reports for more info). Had temps eventually going down into low 60's on Friday night 8/10 and down to 57 degrees on Saturday night 8/11 - perfect to see what I needed for comfortable sleep. I had the two IX layers and the 50 deg Burrow with me. On Friday I started with the 3/4 single IX layer as UQ and the full length IX layer as TQ. Towards morning I got chilly enough to take out the Burrow and use as TQ; I was a little cooler than ideal underneath, but not bad, wearing a thin merino top and boxers. On Saturday, I could tell when I hit the sack that it was going to be colder, so I set up with both IX layers as UQ, the full-length below the 3/4 length, and had the Burrow as TQ. Added Dri Ducks pants to what I slept in and a fleece hat and was very comfortable.

So my conclusions are . . .

IX is worth trying for summer/warm weather insulation, even as a single layer. My personal experience is that:

Down to about 65 degrees as a low temp, I can be comfortable with single layer IX UQ and TQ hammock insulation.

From 55 to 65 degrees, I can be comfortable with two layer IX insulation as UQ. I would bring a light down TQ to go with it.

Probably below 55 degrees, and certainly below 50 degrees, I will go with a down UQ and TQ.

To a certain extent, I could extend these temp ranges by wearing warmer sleeping clothes, but I would need to factor in the weight penalty of bringing extra sleeping clothes.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    Look at the Arrowhead equipment website! They have some good options unless you are a DIG man!
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    Dutch , DIY, Nano
    Tarp
    HH Hex,BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    have to agree with the poncho liner. been my go to bag for more than 10 years. modded mine a while back with a zipper/draw cord.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345