Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hammock for Alaska

I am looking to buy a hammock for my brother in Alaska. He would use it for general hiking/camping for 3 seasons. But even their summer can get pretty chilly.

I have a Hammock bliss with a bug net. I like this setup.
    I also have a HH Exped. I like this too and don't mind the birth canal entry.

So, what should I buy??? Here are my criteria:
    - cheap, about $150
    - warm (I like the dual layer idea of the Claytor)
    - made in America

Am I wasting my time hoping for all these features??

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_angler View Post
    I am looking to buy a hammock for my brother in Alaska. He would use it for general hiking/camping for 3 seasons. But even their summer can get pretty chilly.

- cheap, about $150
    - made in America

I hope I'm not wasting your time posting a suggestion outside of your criteria. It meets two of the three requirements but its not cheap. I would not take any other hammock than the Clark nx-200 to Alaska if I were to do true backwoods camping. Seems to me like all the mods you would have to do to any other hammock to make it truly Alaska worthy would equal if not be more than the clark. But Im the type that wants to have what in my opinion is the best gear that way when the crap hits the fan I dont find myself regreting the purchase just to save a few bucks.
    Also keep in mind that your second item of being warm has more to do with the bag/pad combo then the hammock itself. Hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in to help you out

I certainly appreciate your Clark suggestions. It does seem like a perfect fit for my criteria: warm and US made.

I guess I was posting to see if I could find anything cheaper...

Images
    I certainly appreciate your Clark suggestions. It does seem like a perfect fit for my criteria: warm and US made.

A JRB bridge hammock is made in America, is not cheap but not horribly expensive. Also, mostall but the largest folks think it is very comfy and at least a few think it is the most comfy by a long shot. However, regarding overall cost: it is most likely the best hammock, bar none, for pad use, which is a help for staying cheap over all. Of course you can go with quilts ( or quilt/pad combo) for below, but that definitely ups the ante money wise quite a bit, along with gaining some quilt benefits. It is basically just a matter of pros vs cons and ttrade offs among the various hammocks.

The Claytor hammocks and tarps are, in my experience, quite excellent. Very comfortable overall. But narrow, so if you are very wide there might be a problem. Or, might not. And they are very inexpensive and work very well with a pad, though second to the JRM pad wise, IMO. But, not made in America is the fly in that ointment.

Plus, I still really like the Hennessy Explorer, but they are neither cheap nor do they have a double bottom and I think they are not made in USA or even Canada.

That is all I can think of, and none meet all 3 of your criteria.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

- cheap, about $150
    - made in America

the claytor jungle hammock rocks.i have slept down to 8.6 degree's with a 5 dollar army pad and a 15 dollar 10 degree army down sleeping bag.neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Yeah it seems to me that the clark might be your best choice but with your criteria it seems your not buying based on want alone. I will echo billybob58 and Neo that the JBR and Claytor might fit your criteria better. I'm 6'3 and 210lbs and have been told by a few people that I'm to big for the JBR so I would only recommed it if your under 6 feet tall and skinny and dont wear a lot of bulky clothing to stay warm and dont have braod shoulders give this one a shot if laying flat is important to you. If not I think the claytor is cheaper version of the clark and you just might fall in love with it as some have done. From what I hear they are good hammocks. This is what I will upgrade to next if my pocket book cant afford the clark. But with that said I would hold off upgrading a little longer to get a clark if that were possible

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Let's not forget the Warbonnet.

Made in the USA, relatively inexpensive, and lightweight. Insulation is the only issue with cold and that doesn't really matter which hammock manufacturer you choose. Wanna stay really warm? Get yourself a Speer SnugFit; uberwarm!

I've been to -10F with my Warbonnet and 1/2 length UQ; can't imagine too much worse than that in an Alaska summer. However, I may need to take a trip up there just to be sure.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Where can you even buy a Warbonnet?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've been gone a while, but it used to be as easy as a PM to Warbonnetguy. I even hear he's made some modifications to the design. Anybody wanna guess what my first post-hike purchase is gonna be?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I've been gone a while, but it used to be as easy as a PM to Warbonnetguy. I even hear he's made some modifications to the design. Anybody wanna guess what my first post-hike purchase is gonna be?
    I HAVE DONE THAT A COUPLE OF TIMES AND HE SAYS HE IS NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING TELL THE OTHER CRAP WORKS OUT IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. BECAUSE I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ONE..... YES EVEN AS DEVOTED TO CLARK HAMMOCKS I STILL WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A WARBONNET HAMMOCK.

LATER ALL

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast